Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City Stampede

Thumbs up Oklahoma City Stampede

BLACK AND GOLD ,MASCOT MUSTANG OR BUFFALO http://www.okctalk.com/images/smilies/texas-sucks2.gif

Blog Entries

Default Re: Oklahoma City Stampede

That's really a pretty good name.

I like it.

It's fine. Is this what you want or what it's going to be? I haven't seen anything on it yet.

The only thing I argue with is the freaking buffalo. Please no.

kmf563, would you like the buffalo better if it had a honking big old oil derrick brand burned into the haunches, with lil' rays of light bursting out in an arc pattern?

8^)

6. Default Re: Oklahoma City Stampede

I REALLLLLLLY like that one.
    "The worst sin towards our fellow creatures is not to hate them but to be indifferent to them: that’s the essence of inhumanity." -George Bernard Shaw

I thought everyone wanted away from the western themed names, no? Stampede just reinforces that whole stereotype.

Can we keep the name speculation to one thread in one section?

Blog Entries

One of the things I like about Texas is that they are proud of their heritage and don't apologize for it. We, on the other hand seem embarrassed. The west represents a sense of freedom and spirit that says "bring on all comers and let's get after it". I am by no means a cowboy and never wear boots, hats, or listen to gawd awful country western music. But, I am proud to be an Okie and think it is pretty cool these days. Let's be proud of what we are... we are a western state that takes chances and kicks a$$es. We are a stampede.

I like it.

Blog Entries

Let's use bison, not longhorns though.

Blog Entries

On opening day of the season, we could have a stampede through the stockyards to downtown, ala the running of the bulls. This could become an annual cultural event that draws thousands and makes it an even bigger festival. We could have a big time rodeo, Native American Dancing, etc. and have about a week long kick off to the season. What better way to be all inclusive and make this a BIG TIME event different than ANY OTHER CITY.

Not a strong marketing name

Not going to be it if as mentioned in the other thread (where you already posted this) that Bennett said the name would end with an "s"

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Not a strong marketing name
    I couldn't disagree more... and is SHOULD be bison instead of mustangs...

lame

I've got to admit, this really has a ring to it. And yes, the team name may indeed have an "s;" it will just start with one!

For the record, I also was on the Bison bandwagon, although have to admit Stampede has an automatic appeal to me.

The difference between Oklahoma uisng western heritage and places like Texas using it is that no one thinks Texans are still riding horses. Even Seattle seems to be full steam ahead using Indian references. Their minor league hockey team is call the Totems, as in totem poles. But once again no one thinks people in Seattle live in tee-pees.

People around the country really do think Oklahoma is still in the horse and buggy days and half the population lives in tee-pees.

18. Default Re: Oklahoma City Stampede

I will totally understand if Clay & Company name our very first major leauge franchise something that celebrates our heritage. Keep in mind that of all the major leauge sports ONLY the NBA is followed around the world. When I lived in New Mexico from 87 to 93 I had my own tour business I ran out of my yellow cab. And believe you me, everyone I took on tours wanted to see real cowboys and indians, and to live the American west experience. These were folks from Japan, England, Germany, France, New Zealand, Australia, and many other lands. By naming the team the Stampede, Wranglers, Rustlers, etc., it will go along way with attracting international attraction which leads to tourists.

I too would like to see our team named something fun, different and new. Heck, I remember back when we had the short lived Arena Football team, the Wranglers, there was a contest to pick the name for the team. I offered 'Bricktown Brawlers.'
    I thought that was pretty cool and original. But what do I know; I'm just a furniture salesman.

The Thundering Herd. Like OBU.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavidson8 View Post
    The Thundering Herd. Like OBU.
    That's the Marshall University nickname too!

21. Default Re: Oklahoma City Stampede

This is part of the reason we wanted to get a major professional team, so people would see our city as we do. Have any of you flown into OKC at night, what a great site, OKC is lit up as far as the eye can see. When I see that I know I'm home.

Do any of you think that people that watch OU football on TV see us living in sod huts?

Come on, these are just stereo-types people use to make themselves feel important. I for one agree with Rover, no one would mistake me for a cowboy, but I am proud of our heritage and feel we need to celebrate it.

22. Default Re: Oklahoma City Stampede

I wouldn't want it. Nothing to do with weather, or animals like that, native americans, and of that stereotypical crap we always get. Boooo

I know it will irk a few, but having thought it over some more, I like Stampede better than ANY of the others numerous other suggestions.

Oh, and I was kidding about an oil derrick brand ... that idea was merely a caffeine overload

Blog Entries

I travel constantly to almost every state and every major city and I don't hear the negative OK view that I read here and on other OK message boards. I don't know where posters on this board come up with the idea that everyone thinks Oklahoma is in the dark ages. Oklahoma has gained respect and prestige everywhere BUT in Oklahoma. Why do we insist on carrying this chip on our shoulder? If people believe posters on message boards in Seattle, or Texas, or any board for that matter, believe that the sentiments expressed there actually represent consensus, then you are way overestimating the accuracy or importance of these boards. Try working with the business leaders and civic leaders across the country like I do - ones whose impressions and opinions REALLY matter, then you will see that you have no reason to carry around this inferiority complex and paranoia.

If we start acting like we belong at the party we may just have a good time there.

Oklahoma City Stampede's ,there Its Plural Now! For The Stereotype's That Show's How Illiterate People Are. If They Knew About Oklahoma They Would Know How Great We Are, As For Bison Or Buffalo It Is What It Is ,its The Same Thing Call It What You Want.i Am Proud To Be An Okie My Family Is Buried All Over This Great State Way Before It Was A State. My Uncle Was A Luitenate In Homicde In The Great City Of Okc My Uncle Was A Light Rider For The Cherokee Nation. my great grand father was a us marshal in oklahoma. My Scottish Heritage Goes Back To 1120 Ad Scottland .That Being Said , It Dont Matter What We Do! There Going To Say Stuff About Us No Matter What We Do. So Stand Proud And Be Who You Are. Sooners ! I Dont Ride The Bandwangon, Baby! I Drive It!we have the most lakes , we generate our own electric , we sell it to other states like california and so on . we have or on oil. western heritage. country fever rocklahoma in the same town i live in .pryor oklahoma we have alot to be proud of.

Thread Information