Widgets Magazine

Thread: OSU to blame

Patrick Guest

Default OSU to blame

Looks like OSU turned OU in for recruiting violations. Nice to see them helping out a fellow state school.

But, I should also say, Kelvin shouldn't have been allowing the recruiting violations to go on, especially after he was warned. Seems like Kelvin is full of excuses.

-----------

Sampson: OSU turned us in

By George Schroeder and Mike Baldwin
    The Oklahoman

NORMAN - Bedlam extended into the NCAA’s investigation of the Oklahoma basketball program.

Reynolds asks out of letter of intent

Former Oklahoma coach Kelvin Sampson told NCAA investigators that Oklahoma State coach Eddie Sutton once called out Sampson for the actions of an assistant coach. And Sampson said he first had an inkling his program was under NCAA investigation when recruits said OSU coaches had told them that.

“Every kid that we were recruiting... Oklahoma State told them that we were going to be banned from this or put on probation for that if we were getting investigated,” Sampson told NCAA investigators during the second of four interviews. “Every kid that we recruited, they had told them that.”

Sampson said he heard similar stories from recruits over the course of several years. The NCAA investigation began in 2001; OU did not receive the official notice of inquiry until May 2004.

Sampson, who took the Indiana job last month, is scheduled along with OU officials to meet with the NCAA committee on infractions committee on Friday in Park City, Utah. There, they will be questioned about allegations of more than 550 impermissible telephone calls to 17 recruits from 2000-04. According to transcripts of interviews obtained under terms of the state’s open records law, Sampson said Sutton approached him in an airport and informed him that then-assistant Ray Lopes had made an improper phone call to speak to juniors in a hotel room during a summer tournament.

Sampson also said then-SMU coach Mike Dement had informed him of a rules violation involving then-OU assistant Jim Shaw.

Eddie Sutton, who has taken a leave of absence while facing DUI charges related to a car accident, was not available for comment. But his son, OSU interim coach Sean Sutton, acknowledged his father’s conversation with Sampson.

“We had some concerns what was going on with some phone calls that had been going on during the summer,” Sean Sutton said Wednesday. “I know my dad had a conversation with Kelvin to address those concerns. We were told Kelvin was not aware of those things taking place, that he would address it and it would not be an issue in the future.”

Although Sampson said Eddie Sutton approached him only once, he said “Oklahoma State turned us in on a bunch of stuff, I know that.’ And he said OSU coaches routinely engaged in “negative recruiting” against OU, saying among other things, they told recruits OU was a football school and OSU was a basketball school.

Sean Sutton declined comment when asked if OSU turned OU in to the NCAA. He denied OSU coaches told recruits OU was going on probation - “We never said that,” he said - and said the OSU staff had not engaged in negative recruiting.

“That is not true,” Sean Sutton said. “One thing we believe in very strongly is we do not negative-recruit people. We have one of the best places in the country to go to school to play basketball... We never spend time downgrading other schools.”

Sean Sutton did say OSU sometimes would “show a recruit the facts.”

“But it’s more a positive about your school than a negative about another school,” Sean Sutton said. “When you have one of the best arenas in the country, win championships and have players in the NBA and good graduation rates, you want to showcase those things compared to other schools.”

Sampson told investigators OU coaches did not negatively recruit. And he said OSU was the only school that consistently negatively recruited.
    “It’s only one school,” Sampson said. “It’s never Kansas. It’s never ... Texas ... O-State was the only one. The only thing I surmised out of that, well, who knows with them people.

Default Re: OSU to blame

I hope they realize that if they degrade the programs of other schools, it's only hurting the Big XII.

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner
    I hope they realize that if they degrade the programs of other schools, it's only hurting the Big XII.
    Which means less money for them.

That's why many people didn't understand why I was rooting for Texas in the Rose Bowl this year. Heck, the Big 12 benefits from their win.

MadMonk Guest

Well, if there were rules violations taking place, it's Sampson that deserves the blame for costing the conference money, not the person who reported him. It's him I'm disappointed in.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick

That's why many people didn't understand why I was rooting for Texas in the Rose Bowl this year. Heck, the Big 12 benefits from their win.
    No, the winner and loser of the bowls get the same payout.

6. Default Re: OSU to blame

I'm all for helping out the Big 12, but the ou's mascot is a what???? A sooner, in otherwords, a cheater. Would you expect anything different? And why would sampson not try to point "blame" somewhere else. He doesn't want to be the only person not looking good in this whole ordeal. It just shows that he's not the bigger man... It would take a real man to not bad mouth somebody, even if they had "turned you in" or "bad mouthed" you in the first place.

Well, well..

Let's see Sampson leaves OU as the investigation continues as I understand it. Can you say someone has a guilty conscience?? If my memory recalls correctly he was quoted just a few months ago, that he was staying at OU for the longterm.

Let's look at the facts. OU has infractions about allegations of more than 550 impermissible phone calls to recruits.

The playing field has to be equal to all. Its not about OSU reporting OU or vice versa. The playing fields need to be equal.. just because OU is in the same state doesn't mean they can get away with violating NCAA rules.

Is it wierd how Sampson waited til he was at Indiana to start pointing fingers as to who report OU to the NCAA???

Sampson left the kitchen, just as it was getting too hot to handle.

Uptown Guest

Actually Sampson didn't point any fingers. The article this morning did not include quotes that were said by Sampson recently. They're a collection of quotes that Sampson said during NCAA investigations, and are part of public record.

JAFO Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BricktownGuy
    Well, well..

Let's see Sampson leaves OU as the investigation continues as I understand it. Can you say someone has a guilty conscience?? If my memory recalls correctly he was quoted just a few months ago, that he was staying at OU for the longterm.

Let's look at the facts. OU has infractions about allegations of more than 550 impermissible phone calls to recruits.

The playing field has to be equal to all. Its not about OSU reporting OU or vice versa. The playing fields need to be equal.. just because OU is in the same state doesn't mean they can get away with violating NCAA rules.

Is it wierd how Sampson waited til he was at Indiana to start pointing fingers as to who report OU to the NCAA???

Sampson left the kitchen, just as it was getting too hot to handle.
    Yep, he tucked tail and ran when things started crumbling around him. The guy is very cowardly in my opinion.

10. Default Re: OSU to blame

I find it funny that OU has a new coach for a week or two now, yet no mention here. Yet, when the old coach speaks, it's here that morning. hmm...

11. Default Re: OSU to blame

If your main competition for instate and regional recruits was cheating, you would turn them in too.

12. Default Re: OSU to blame

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick

.... Heck, the Big 12 benefits from their win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner
    This one is funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by osupa05
    I'm all for helping out the Big 12, but the ou's mascot is a what???? A sooner, in otherwords, a cheater. Would you expect anything different? And why would sampson not try to point "blame" somewhere else. He doesn't want to be the only person not looking good in this whole ordeal. It just shows that he's not the bigger man... It would take a real man to not bad mouth somebody, even if they had "turned you in" or "bad mouthed" you in the first place.
    Why so much concern for the Big XII? The only schools that benefit from the affiliation are out of state.
    Last edited by upisgr8; 04-21-2006 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Spell., redundant paste

It seems OU and OSU each shared in the national championship game payout last year. In fact, considering that Oklahoma has two Big XII schools for its 3.5 million or so people versus 4 for Texas and its 21 million people, per capita, I'd say that Oklahoma benefits more than any other state from its Big XII affiliation by a long shot.

Eddie did use this in what the coaching profession would say to be an unethical way -- he 'dirty recruited' by talking OU down to recruits. I can tell you from first hand experience (fraternity rush is a lot like recruiting star athletes sometimes), "dirty recruiting" (or dirty rushing as it was) is not always an effective tactic, but it works for some.

While KS did break the rules, Eddie, while remaining within those rules was not exactly a saint. You're not making him out to be one, but that's just FYI.

Here's an interesting article about Kelvin Sampson in retrospect to these allegations and his pay at Indiana:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2407244

Thread Information