Widgets Magazine

Thread: Interstates 344 & 335 and HIGHWAY IDEA'S

Default Interstates 344 & 335 and HIGHWAY IDEA'S

When are they going to put up I-344 signs on the John Kilpatrick Turnpike and I-335 signs on the Kickapoo Turnpike ?

HIGHWAY IDEA'S

They should build the Sooner Freeway or Turnpike from the I-35, I-44, I-344 Jct. Southeast to I-40 east of Tinker AFB south to Purcell Sign it I-35. and I-35 south of I-40 sign it as I-235.

U.S. 77 should come up Sooner Road from Norman to the I-35, I-44, I-344 Jct. As a Six lane Highway.

They should build a Freeway or Turnpike from I-40, along the old Rock Island railroad to Choctaw then east between N.E 23rd and N.E. 10th to U.S. 62 near the Lincoln county line.

Default Re: Interstates 344 & 335 and HIGHWAY IDEA'S

Quote Originally Posted by MWC59 View Post
    When are they going to put up I-344 signs on the John Kilpatrick Turnpike and I-335 signs on the Kickapoo Turnpike ?

HIGHWAY IDEA'S

They should build the Sooner Freeway or Turnpike from the I-35, I-44, I-344 Jct. Southeast to I-40 east of Tinker AFB south to Purcell Sign it I-35. and I-35 south of I-40 sign it as I-235.

U.S. 77 should come up Sooner Road from Norman to the I-35, I-44, I-344 Jct. As a Six lane Highway.

They should build a Freeway or Turnpike from I-40, along the old Rock Island railroad to Choctaw then east between N.E 23rd and N.E. 10th to U.S. 62 near the Lincoln county line.
    You are about 60 years too late. US 77 was Shields Blvd (6 lane road) before I-35 was built.

They do need signs up very soon. GPS already has the new interstate numbers. It could make it difficult for visitors!

4. Default Re: Interstates 344 & 335 and HIGHWAY IDEA'S

No apostrophe needed for "Ideas" in title.

Quote Originally Posted by artynok View Post
    You are about 60 years too late. US 77 was Shields Blvd (6 lane road) before I-35 was built.
    60 years too late with the Sooner Rd idea

I’m in favor of highways being signed appropriately to their designations, and right quick.

As to the other array of commentary, the OKC metro does not need any new highways beyond a northward thrust of Lake Hefner Parkway up the west side of Edmond. Maybe, maybe, the highway between 35 and 44 between Moore and Norman. Maybe.

I would love it if the sooner freeway was built. It could be our version of the North Dallas tollway. It would be a tight squeeze, and some properties would have to be taken but man that would be a cool f@cking road.

Believe it or not I actually really like freeways.

74 should already be interstate standard up to Waterloo.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    YES! Take a visit to any city of 100,000 plus to our neighbor to the south and it's amazing how much better Texas anticipates and builds roads for future growth. Lubbock, Amarillo, Midland, Odessa, even Abilene all have loops around the city that were built before things came, when land was cheap and ROW was easy to get and have much better flow with numerous turn lanes and oversized intersections to help traffic flow. I say this after spending multiple trips across Texas and when coming back to OKC, it feels like all of our roads are skinny and built as basic as possible for the existing population, while not anticipating any growth.

As it has been mentioned before, there is a great need for an outer northwest loop that would be around Waterloo/Covell and extend to at least Portland, and maybe even all the way out to county line and connect south to the existing Kilpatrick.

It will be interesting to see how Portland/HWY74 is diverted and designed when controlled access is needed north of 150th as 164th, 178th, and 192nd all have developments (retail, gas stations, dining) right up against the current 4 lane limited access alignments. 6 years ago it was just a two lane road north of 150th, the amount of growth in the area in the last 5 years has been astonishing.

They really need to be planning for a lot of more freeways in the Oklahoma City area. The sprawl is going to continue and they need to accommodate it. It’s borderline criminal that they are not planning any more freeways in the north northwest area. I appreciate with the Oklahoma Turnpike authority is trying to achieve. But they really need to get on the ball by building more super freeways in and around the city.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    and sadly they just pushed the next overpass back from 2028 to 2031 in the updated 8 year plan ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    and sadly they just pushed the next overpass back from 2028 to 2031 in the updated 8 year plan ..
    They’ve been doing this with a lot of OKC area projects over the last few years. The state needs to find a way to give them more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    They’ve been doing this with a lot of OKC area projects over the last few years. The state needs to find a way to give them more money.
    ODOT projects starts/completions have been commonly sliding since I started looking at them like 20 years ago. I can not say if it is better or worse for OKC than rest of state, since there have not been any I really paid long term attention to outside the metro.

Thread Information