Widgets Magazine

Thread: Edmond Low Hum Mystery!

1. Default Edmond Low Hum Mystery!

There is a guy on Reddit and some others on Facebook groups that hear this sound in Edmond at night time. Anyone else hear it?

https://vimeo.com/655847850

Default Re: Edmond Low Hum Mystery!

From my phone that sounds like an engine maybe a locomotive. Not sure but I hear something very similar in the background right now where I’m at and I know it’s an engine

3. Default Re: Edmond Low Hum Mystery!

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    From my phone that sounds like an engine maybe a locomotive. Not sure but I hear something very similar in the background right now where I’m at and I know it’s an engine
    So far they have debunked it being a train as they hear it the entire night. Others have suggested it is the purina plant so someone is driving there tonight to investigate.

4. Default Re: Edmond Low Hum Mystery!

I always assume it's I35 traffic from where I am.

Sounds like a locomotive to me. Hard to tell without knowing where in Edmond they are. You really shouldn’t hear a locomotive idling from too far away, but night time and clear cool air can do amazing things with sound waves.

I was at Mitch Park around 1.5 weeks ago and I heard that same sound. I chalked it up to a passing locomotive since the BNSF mainline is a mile or two to the east, but I thought it was odd because I never heard a horn at any point (I know the track goes on an overpass where it crosses Covell) and the sound lasted noticeably longer than that of a typical passing locomotive but also shorter than how long a train would typically idle, along with no noticeable sounds from the brake release or locomotive accelerating. I still have no reason to think it wasn’t just a train with some other unknown factors that threw me off (I’ve only been in that area twice since mid-2020) but the recorded sound and the sound I heard are the same as far as I can tell.

I'm thinking it is I-35 and the JKT. Concrete is the loudest road surface, which is exacerbated by the knobby tires every Jeep and truck owner puts on their 24' wheels.

8. Default Re: Edmond Low Hum Mystery!

I know you are eagerly awaiting an update. The sound does indeed get louder around the Purina plant. Some think the colder air at night is having it travel farther than usual.

A user is scheduling a noise complaint with the City of Edmond for the plant to have it looked into.

Sounds like a train engine, I live over 3 miles from the tracks but when it's cold at night I can hear the trains clearly.

Thread Information