Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gyros by Ali

Default Gyros by Ali

This is the new restaurant on N. Classen that has changed concepts half a dozen time over the last decade or so. It used to be the coffee shop with the jeep on top of the pole. I've heard good things about it, and by the looks of it (new paint, signage, and landscaping has improved), it appears to have new ownership and management, unlike the previous unsuccessful concepts who were run by the same operator. I haven't been yet, but wanted to get a thread started for reviews.

Default Re: Gyros by Ali

I think it was Teo that said on another thread that they were the closet to true European kebabs he had found. Based on that.....I will be checking it out this next week.

When I think gyros, I don't think European, I think Middle Eastern or Greek (which okay Greece is European, but not classical european cuisine). Can someone enlighten me what the difference between a european kabob vs a middle eastern kabob is?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    When I think gyros, I don't think European, I think Middle Eastern or Greek (which okay Greece is European, but not classical european cuisine). Can someone enlighten me what the difference between a european kabob vs a middle eastern kabob is?
    It's actually eastern Mediterranean in origin, via Greece and Turkey if I'm not mistaken, which explains how it spread both east and north/west from there.

I'd like for this place to do well, but I'm skeptical. The main issues with that property were the ridiculous jeep on a stick (now gone, thankfully), the bohemian/Taos-inspired interior (still visible from the street), the lack of clear parking for the property, and the fence surrounding it. It feels enclosed to me, and not in a comforting way necessarily. I live right down the street from this place, so I'll be in soon enough. Here's to hoping!

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    It is how it is served that is different. In the UK, it is usually served inside a pita instead of rolled up in it. They used a red chili sauce instead of cucumber sauce and the salad is more like cabbage versus lettuce. That being said, last year, all I could find was one place that rolled them up.

It will be interesting to see how they do considering another Gyro place opened up less than 2 blocks away a year or so ago.

7. Default Re: Gyros by Ali

It will be tough for them or anything else to make it in that location. I live near there and go past it everyday. The problem is access. It may as well be in someone's back room. There is no parking in the front and it does not even look like you can get in the place. To access it you have to go down 32nd street, pull in back of the Subway and drive in what looks like an alley. I watched them convert the place from a self service car wash to what has been a string of failed restaurants. Sooner or later someone will figure it out and get rid of the useless front yard inside the iron gates and make front parking access. If you could pull in the place from Classen it make it more inviting. Don't get me wrong, I love green space but in this case it should be in back with parking in the front. I really hope they can make it and wish them the best.

I just parked in the Subway lot and went over. I guess that could be asking to get my car towed.

Typically, from what I understand Gyro = Greece, Kebab = Turkish, but they're essentially the same thing. So yes, they are an eastern mediterranean cuisine vs. european, but they are ubiquitous in Europe, especially Germany/Austria, because of the ridiculously high Turkish population in those countries…think Texas for Mexican food.

As far as what it is, from my knowledge, it generally is a lamb meatloaf is placed on a vertical spit and slowly cooked. When ordering, they cut the meat off the spit either onto a plate or into a bread casing (pita bread for gyros and slightly different, more hamburger bun looking thing for kebab). The problem with everything I've found here, is that the quality of meat is not nearly as good due to the processing the meatloaves undergo. Gyros by Ali doesn't cook theirs on a spit, but they also have what appears to me to be a higher quality meatloaf that leads to a far better flavor.

It's a solid gyro and definitely worth a try.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Typically, from what I understand Gyro = Greece, Kebab = Turkish, but they're essentially the same thing. So yes, they are an eastern mediterranean cuisine vs. european, but they are ubiquitous in Europe, especially Germany/Austria, because of the ridiculously high Turkish population in those countries…think Texas for Mexican food.
    First, you do know Turkey is considered to be Middle Eastern, right? Turkey is more Asian than European.

Secondly, Kebab is cubes of meat (or fish) and vegies grilled on a skewer and is very different than Gyro meat in content and how prepared. Whether someone chooses to put kebab meat on a bun is not really relevant. Kebab and gyro is not just the same thing from different countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    First, you do know Turkey is considered to be Middle Eastern, right? Turkey is more Asian than European.

Secondly, Kebab is cubes of meat (or fish) and vegies grilled on a skewer and is very different than Gyro meat in content and how prepared. Whether someone chooses to put kebab meat on a bun is not really relevant. Kebab and gyro is not just the same thing from different countries.
    Doner kebab, shwerma, gyro...its all pretty much the same thing. Its too bad we dont have a kebab/shwerma place that does the rotating meat thing, because they can be delicious.

Maybe in the US but I have had Doner Kebabs all over Europe and New York City. They are sliced meat. Doner Kebabs are basically the same thing as Gyros in Greece and the US. The sauce and meat mixture may change but same principle.
    Doner kebab - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kebab just means that it was roasted or grilled on a spit or skewer and can be meat, fish, or vegetables Kebab - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Doner kebab, shwerma, gyro...its all pretty much the same thing. Its too bad we dont have a kebab/shwerma place that does the rotating meat thing, because they can be delicious.
    In some areas health departments are disallowing their use. In Mexico, and the southwest U.S. The same broiler is called a tromps and is used to make tacos de trompos. In these instances, raw meat is placed on the spit and broiled. Health department rules require that the meat temp be 160 F throughout, which does't happen. In modern gyro preparation, pre-cooked meat placed on the spit and simply warmed to the minimum of 135 or 140 F. From researching what little is out there on the Internet, some jurisdictions are banning them outright on the basis of the former case.

13. Default Re: Gyros by Ali

ya, I think Teo meant to say Doner Kabab as being similar to Gyro/Shawarma as opposed to Kebab; which are completely different methods.

IIRC, Gyro(lamb+pork)=Greece, Shawarma(lamb)=Turkey, Doner Kabab (pork)=Europe/Canada but essentially the same thing. El Pastor is also a spit meatloaf adapted in Mexico (hence Tacos El Pastor).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

14. Default Re: Gyros by Ali

I just parked in the Subway lot and went over. I guess that could be asking to get my car towed.

As far as what it is, from my knowledge, it generally is a lamb meatloaf is placed on a vertical spit and slowly cooked. When ordering, they cut the meat off the spit either onto a plate or into a bread casing (pita bread for gyros and slightly different, more hamburger bun looking thing for kebab). The problem with everything I've found here, is that the quality of meat is not nearly as good due to the processing the meatloaves undergo. Gyros by Ali doesn't cook theirs on a spit, but they also have what appears to me to be a higher quality meatloaf that leads to a far better flavor.

It's a solid gyro and definitely worth a try.
    You might be aware that subway gets pissed and will tow your car. I have seen it happen with the previous owner.

15. Default Re: Gyros by Ali

Kebab I've had in UK has been doner, heavy on the lamb, but surely other animals came to the party. With red chili, salad, inside a pocket pita. Served with chips (that's fries) with yellow curry ontop. They almost always also sell fish n' chips. Deep fried battered sausage. And what you could technically label a cheeseburger. There's essentially a (Okc) pizza house on every block in the UK.

Mediterranean Deli on May does a shwerna style kebab but it's beef and I dare say: it's not super exiting.

Garbanzo is probably one of the best Mediterranean restaurants in town right now. No shwerna but a nice marinated steak option and legit falafel.

Best you can do for a "marinated hunks of meat on a rotating stick" fix is hit abel's for al pastor.

16. Default Re: Gyros by Ali

Ian, are you going to get into the kebab business?

there seems to be a market for it and other urban oriented foods (Chicago style street food) that are lacking in the inner city OKC.

17. Default Re: Gyros by Ali

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	9925 hadn't planned on it. But if I were going to do it... It would be Tijuana al pastor style on a hot dog style cart.

In fact. I'd probably do al pastor. Honestly, it's a superior food.

18. Default Re: Gyros by Ali

YES

I'll definitely patronize during my return home visits.

In fact, OKC is fast developing a healthy foodie scene that we expats need to PLAN our time so to patronize new places while having some time/space in the stomach for our original favs. Really illustrates the growth, positive growth of OKC. ...

We ordered in for lunch today. I had a greek salad with the gyro meat and chicken. Meat was more thick cut chunk style and was very good. It is a different meat than Sweiss. The salad was fresh but could have used some feta and more onions. The gyros are still wrapped in a pita with salad and Tzatziki instead of what I was hoping a stuffed pita with a red chili sauce.

The staff member that went said they were very nice. Put names on the boxes and helped carry to the car. Consensus in the office is that it will be added in to rotation.

Name:	ali1.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	9933Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ali2.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	9934Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ali3.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	9935

The prices appear to be very reasonable.

First, Turkey is Turkey. It straddles both continents, has about 12% of its population in Europe and a significant amount of their population closer to the European border than the Middle Eastern border. It has a rich history involved with both Europe and the Middle East. It shares a border with Greece.

Second, yes…I should have included Doner with Kebab. via Wikipedia:

Döner kebab, literally "rotating kebab" in Turkish, is sliced lamb, beef, or chicken, slowly roasted on a vertical rotating spit. The Middle Eastern shawarma, Mexican tacos al pastor, and Greek gyros are all derived from the Turkish döner kebab, which was invented in Bursa in the 19th century by a cook named Hacı İskender.[35]
    essentially was the key word in my description...

First, Turkey is Turkey. It straddles both continents, has about 12% of its population in Europe and a significant amount of their population closer to the European border than the Middle Eastern border. It has a rich history involved with both Europe and the Middle East. It shares a border with Greece.

Second, yes…I should have included Doner with Kebab.
    Couldn't agree more. To label Turkey as middle eastern complete ignores and short-changes its history and people, although it makes it quite easy to dismiss current events.

Quote Originally Posted by IanMcDermid View Post
    Kebab I've had in UK has been doner, heavy on the lamb, but surely other animals came to the party. With red chili, salad, inside a pocket pita. Served with chips (that's fries) with yellow curry ontop. They almost always also sell fish n' chips. Deep fried battered sausage. And what you could technically label a cheeseburger. There's essentially a (Okc) pizza house on every block in the UK.

Mediterranean Deli on May does a shwerna style kebab but it's beef and I dare say: it's not super exiting.

Garbanzo is probably one of the best Mediterranean restaurants in town right now. No shwerna but a nice marinated steak option and legit falafel.

Best you can do for a "marinated hunks of meat on a rotating stick" fix is hit abel's for al pastor.
    All my experience with Kebab is doner as well including UK, Germany, Italy, and Turkey. I liked it a lot. When I first tried Tacos al Pastor (at Abel's on South May), i liked it and was intrigued enough to investigate the methods. The description given me by the waitress was a comparison to gyros and doner kebabs and it fits, IMO. FWIW, I haven't had any tacos al pastor elsewhere that I've liked, or at least they didn't compare to Abel's.

Quote Originally Posted by IanMcDermid View Post

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	9925 hadn't planned on it. But if I were going to do it... It would be Tijuana al pastor style on a hot dog style cart.

In fact. I'd probably do al pastor. Honestly, it's a superior food.
    Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

In Canada you can't get a gyros; they have donair, essentially the same thing (pressed meat on a rotating spit that they shave off and cover with your veggies and sauce of choice), only they really load the thing up with meat. Ungodly amounts of delicious meat, and always with the option of poutine on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Couldn't agree more. To label Turkey as middle eastern complete ignores and short-changes its history and people, although it makes it quite easy to dismiss current events.

All my experience with Kebab is doner as well including UK, Germany, Italy, and Turkey. I liked it a lot. When I first tried Tacos al Pastor (at Abel's on South May), i liked it and was intrigued enough to investigate the methods. The description given me by the waitress was a comparison to gyros and doner kebabs and it fits, IMO. FWIW, I haven't had any tacos al pastor elsewhere that I've liked, or at least they didn't compare to Abel's.

So would you say the Ottoman Empire was European or Middle Eastern?

Thread Information