Widgets Magazine

Thread: OKC Couple To Convert Double Decker Bus Into Mobile Coffee Shop

Default OKC Couple To Convert Double Decker Bus Into Mobile Coffee Shop

OKLAHOMA CITY - An Oklahoma City couple is converting a 1974 Bristol double decker bus from the United Kingdom into a mobile coffee shop. The first floor will be the actual coffee shop and the second floor will serve as an area for customers to drink their coffee.
    The bus will be parked at different places downtown on different days, much like a food truck.

The couple is raising $30,000 for renovations with a Kickstarter campaign. At last check, the couple is about $2,000 short of their goal with four days to go.

- OKC Couple To Convert Double Decker Bus Into Mobile Coffee Shop - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Default Re: OKC Couple To Convert Double Decker Bus Into Mobile Coffee Shop

Very cool!

Oh my gosh, I sat next to and met this couple on an airplane about a year ago. Nick and I had a great conversation the entire flight from Dallas to OKC (he was on his way back from a mission trip in Haiti) and we exchanged contact information so we could stay in touch. I didn't even realize this was about him and his wife when I first clicked it ... what an ever-increasingly small world!

Great idea!

But can you imagine how much thought you would have to put in every time you took this thing out on the road?

You would essentially have to avoid every single under and over pass.

Are they any taller than some of the Megabuses out there? Those things look tall (sorry if this is a stupid question)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Great idea!

But can you imagine how much thought you would have to put in every time you took this thing out on the road?

You would essentially have to avoid every single under and over pass.
    It looks like the max height of the average double decker bus is pretty close to the height of semi trailers, but they probably should go ahead and map out any low bridges & lights. They might need to take the interstate some places, since in our area it has the clearance needed for even the tallest DD buses built. Though Santa Fe railroad viaduct downtown is likely a no go.

Maybe I'm in the minority, or maybe I should take the "power to them if they get it" attitude but I get annoyed seeing more and more people go to crowd sourcing to fund their business ideas. But like I said, if you can find enough people to give you free money, then why not?

There's already a double-decker party bus in OKC.

Not sure I equate a coffee shop with a party bus but maybe the coffee scene has gotten a lot wilder than I remember.
    Kids these days with their expresso's and whatnots.

It looks like they hit their funding goal earlier today, with three days left before the Kickstarter funding window closes.

I'm a bit disappointed. The headline made me think of sitting in the top section of a bus and drinking coffee while the bus is driving around town. THAT would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    I'm a bit disappointed. The headline made me think of sitting in the top section of a bus and drinking coffee while the bus is driving around town. THAT would be cool.
    That's funny—I assumed the same thing and was thinking about the logistics of serving hot coffee to people while the bus is in motion. Guess I should've read the article.

Thread Information