Widgets Magazine

Thread: Traffic Flow/Saety Improvement Suggestions

Default Traffic Flow/Saety Improvement Suggestions

Just to show that it ain't all fun and games (and joking around), here is something that I take seriously.
    I haven't seen any movement in the direction suggested in this email text.
    The probable cause is that The Walmart/Sam's advisors have an objection.
    Still, I have faith that the local powers that be will do the right thing.

A more recent repeat of the same traffic hazard, just the other day, prompts me to post this summary/suggestion to the Traffic Control Deciders.

Mr. Chai:

First of all, thank you for implementing my suggestion, from 2010, for a double left turn, onto westbound Memorial, from the northbound Hefner Parkway exit ramp. Traffic flow has been vastly improved and unnecessary irritation minimized.

Here are two more suggestions that I think will benefit everyone.
    (But I'd be misrepresenting "the whole truth" if I didn't add, "mainly me.")

Twice in two days, as a driver, I was nearly involved in accidents with vehicles whose "drivers" decided that they didn't want to try to make a left turn from southbound Penn into the Sam's/Walmart/et.al. parking lot (at the northernmost entrance). These vehicles both swerved blindly out of the vague "left turn lane" back into the southbound lane on Penn that I happened to be occupying at the moment that they changed their "minds." The exact same thing occurred yesterday, as a passenger in a vehicle that my wife was driving. Obviously, this is a very hazardous location (in addition to all the rest of the "joys" associated with this area, known informally as The Intersection from Hell.)

Suggestion: Prohibit left turns, from southbound Penn, into that retail area except at the controlled intersections that already exist a little further to the south. Make that parking lot entrance/exit an exit only for northbound vehicles.

There are probably dozens of objections that could be raised to my suggestion but none of them have any merit in terms of improved traffic flow and safety.

Early morning traffic, westbound on Memorial is always very heavy at this location. There are three westbound lanes here, a center lane for through traffic, a right lane for through traffic and for the small number of vehicles that didn't use either of the two right turn opportunities to enter the business and medical development on the north side of the intersection, and a left turn lane to go south on Merdian. Much of the westbound traffic makes a left turn, onto Meridian, probably bound for the Mercy Hospital Complex and the associated doctors' offices to the west of it. Sometimes the left turn lane is backed up nearly to the exit from the Kilpatrick Turnpike.

Suggestion: Allow a double left turn from westbound Memorial onto southbound Meridian.
    I predict that most of the time the center lane would be occupied only by through traffic, but this minor change would still improve traffic flow, especially in the morning, but also around noon and in the evening.

Thank you for your consideration--and implementation--of these suggestions.
    After all, "It's better to light one candle than to curse the [idiots on the road with you]."

Default Re: Traffic Flow/Saety Improvement Suggestions

If my failure to spell "Safety" correctly in the title of this new thread is the reason for inaction on the part of those who control vehicular traffic in the vicinity of the proposed RETAIL EXPLOSION just to the east of the primary point of concern, I am sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    If my failure to spell "Safety" correctly in the title of this new thread is the reason for inaction on the part of those who control vehicular traffic in the vicinity of the proposed RETAIL EXPLOSION just to the east of the primary point of concern, I am sorry.
    Radical, it might still work, if you double right click on the title when looking at the list of threads, you can change the name of the title. Not sure how long you can do that for, kind of like you have a set time for how you long you retain the privilege of editing your post.

Anyways, I'm sure Pete or MMM will fix it.

I would REALLY like to see more medians/double turn lanes throughout the metro. Its unbelievable how much smoother it makes traffic flow. That will also take care of people making left turns in less than optimal places. In OKC the only roads designed that way are NW Expressway, 39th Expressway, and Classen, but in most major cities in other states that type of design is the standard for newer roads and it alleviates a lot of the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I would REALLY like to see more medians/double turn lanes throughout the metro. Its unbelievable how much smoother it makes traffic flow. That will also take care of people making left turns in less than optimal places. In OKC the only roads designed that way are NW Expressway, 39th Expressway, and Classen, but in most major cities in other states that type of design is the standard for newer roads and it alleviates a lot of the problems.
    I completely agree with this. How on earth OKC thought it would be a good idea to not include dedicated turn medians is beyond me lol

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I completely agree with this. How on earth OKC thought it would be a good idea to not include dedicated turn medians is beyond me lol
    Wanna bet that 10 min. hasn't yet been invested in figuring out how to make Western (on the east side of the RETAIL EXPLOSION) "traffic friendly"?
    I picture Horshack (from Welcome Back Cotter) waving his arm and saying: "Ooo, Ooo, Ooo . . . New Stores to screw up the watershed! I'm all for 'em!"

That really isn't fair: The traffic planners actually DID fix the bottleneck at the Memorial/Hefner Parkway intersection. So . . ."

Thread Information