Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: OnCue: 63rd & NW Expressway

Northwest OKC OnCue: 63rd & NW Expressway

OnCue just filed for a $4.75 million building permit for the old Hometown Buffet site just east of the intersection of 63rd & NW Expressway.

They paid $2.9 million for those 2.53 acres in February.

Remember, they also recently opened a location just two miles to the west at NW Expressway & Wilshire. They seem to be getting much more agressive in the OKC market; this will be their 15th location in the Metro.

Other Metro locations: Edmond, Bethany, Del City, Midwest City & Norman (2).

Current OKC Locations (also under construction at Western & Memorial):

OnCue® Express #100
    5900 W. Reno
    Oklahoma City OK 73127

OnCue® Express #101
    1 NW 23RD St.
    Oklahoma City OK 73103

OnCue® Express #103
    5920 S. Western
    Oklahoma City OK 73109

OnCue® Express #104
    1900 E. Memorial
    Oklahoma City OK 73131

OnCue® Express #108
    6200 N.W. Expressway
    Oklahoma City OK 73132

OnCue® Express #109
    9000 South Penn
    Oklahoma City OK 73159

OnCue® Express #191
    4920 North Western Avenue
    Oklahoma City OK 73118

Default Re: OnCue: 63rd & NW Expressway

$4.75 million for JUST construction? Wow.. And most of their gas stations are only around 5,000 SF.
    I will be curious to see the plans for this station. Will it have more gas pumps than normal? That's a pretty big lot if they intend on using it all.
    Judging by the construction happening on their W. Memorial and Western gas station, it looks like they are tweaking their building design by adding entrances on the side just like the new QuickTrips in Tulsa.

Their Memorial & Western location was a $4.5 million building permit as well.

that seems like a pretty big lot for just a gas station... i wonder if some of the space will be leased out? -M

I wonder if they're planning on having two separate bays of pumps...one facing NW 63rd and one facing NW Expressway. Not to mention they usually have a CNG station in there somewhere. It will be interesting to see the plans come out.

6. Default Re: OnCue: 63rd & NW Expressway

And most of their gas stations are only around 5,000 SF.
    This footprint is just a little over 6500 SF.

I wonder if they're planning on having two separate bays of pumps...one facing NW 63rd and one facing NW Expressway. Not to mention they usually have a CNG station in there somewhere.
    No they just have one bay that contains 12 pumps (1 will be CNG). The bay does not face 63rd or NW Expressway. The orientation of the building and pumps is the same as the old Hometown building.

that seems like a pretty big lot for just a gas station... i wonder if some of the space will be leased out?
    I don't think so. The lot is only 2.5 Acres +/-. There will be a drive-thru and additional 90 degree parking on the backside of the building.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    This footprint is just a little over 6500 SF.

No they just have one bay that contains 12 pumps (1 will be CNG). The bay does not face 63rd or NW Expressway. The orientation of the building and pumps is the same as the old Hometown building.

I don't think so. The lot is only 2.5 Acres +/-. There will be a drive-thru and additional 90 degree parking on the backside of the building.
    Since your information is so definitive, do you mind telling us how you know all this info? Have you seen the plans?

8. Default Re: OnCue: 63rd & NW Expressway

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBeerMan View Post
    Since your information is so definitive, do you mind telling us how you know all this info? Have you seen the plans?
    Was looking at them as I was typing those answers.

Was looking at them as I was typing those answers.
    If you could post the plans, that would be awesome!

10. Default Re: OnCue: 63rd & NW Expressway

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    If you could post the plans, that would be awesome!
    Yes it would be but I'm not at liberty to do that.

Yes it would be but I'm not at liberty to do that.
    Yes, we don't want you to lose your job...

This will be an excellent location for them. It will be the last station on NW Expressway all the way to Classen. There is only one small 7-Eleven that is nearly impossible to get in and out of at Independence serving mostly Westbound customers.

It's been driving me crazy. What was the place called before Hometown Buffet. Wasn't "smorgasbord" in the name? It was that older name that had it forever.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    It's been driving me crazy. What was the place called before Hometown Buffet. Wasn't "smorgasbord" in the name? It was that older name that had it forever.
    Heritage House Smorgasbord.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Heritage House Smorgasbord.
    Thank you! I couldn't think of it if my life depended on it.

That's one expensive gas station. They must sell a bunch of taquitos

I'm sure someone here knows the real story (or it's been posted before), but I've heard two stories on On Cue, and they both are based on some old agreement between the QT and 7-11 folks that QT would never come to OKC and 7-11 wouldn't go to Tulsa (boy we got the crap end of that deal...if it's true).

1.) The OnCue concept we see today in OKC was started by a guy who essentially walked into a QT, took notes on everything, and copied it to a T

2.) OnCue is actually partially owned by QT and it's their way of getting into the OKC market without breaking the 7-11 agreement.

Odds are both of these are false, but they are things I heard when I first moved here in 2009, and complained there were no QT's in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    I'm sure someone here knows the real story (or it's been posted before), but I've heard two stories on On Cue, and they both are based on some old agreement between the QT and 7-11 folks that QT would never come to OKC and 7-11 wouldn't go to Tulsa (boy we got the crap end of that deal...if it's true).

1.) The OnCue concept we see today in OKC was started by a guy who essentially walked into a QT, took notes on everything, and copied it to a T

2.) OnCue is actually partially owned by QT and it's their way of getting into the OKC market without breaking the 7-11 agreement.

Odds are both of these are false, but they are things I heard when I first moved here in 2009, and complained there were no QT's in OKC.
    Two Stillwater convenience store owners, big competitors, ended up merging and became OnCue. Rusty Shaw and Jack Griffith.

I was always told that the gentlemen's agreement was between quiktrip and Love's

QT and Love's don't even really serve the same market.

Their Memorial & Western location was a $4.5 million building permit as well.
    That one has a huge amount of site work to be done. Makes me wonder why they're going to spend even more at this location, unless they intend to raise the site. The same goes for the Eastern & Memorial location - they spent a ton of money on a bridge and other site work.

Most On Cue's do include a ton of sitework. A big part of it is the massive canopy and the drains that come from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    I was always told that the gentlemen's agreement was between quiktrip and Love's
    No. The agreement was between Bill Brown, who bought the 7-Eleven franchise in OKC and QuickTrip founder John Thompson. The Brown family still owns the 7-Eleven stores in Oklahoma City as a completely autonomous entity from corporate 7-Eleven due to a clause Brown insisted on in his franchisee contract back in the early 50's. 7-Eleven is now actually headquarted in Tokyo, with the American division operating out of the old 7-Eleven headquarters in Dallas. They go far out of the way to make people think 7-Eleven is still an American company.

The Oklahoma City stores is a fascinating story really. The 7-Eleven North American page even has on their contact page at the very bottom:
    7-Eleven in Oklahoma City:
    For comments, inquiries or complaints pertaining to 7-Eleven stores in Oklahoma City, please note that this company is not affiliated with 7-Eleven, Inc.

7-Eleven Stores
    2021 S. MacArthur Blvd.
    Oklahoma City, OK 73128
    Phone: 405-682-5711

Wow, did OKC get the rawest of deals in that "gentlemen's agreement".

The 7/11's in the Metro are generally horrible places while QuickTrips are at the extreme opposite end of the spectrum.

OnCue saw a great opportunity and is obviously thriving...

I hope they drive 7/11 completely out of business. Most their locations are shameful.

Check out this place:

Buc-ee's in New Braunfels, Texas

68,000 sqft
    50 Gas Pumps
    50 Bathroom Stalls cleaned after every use by restroom staff.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=rn_e4...%3Drn_e4aknS0k

Wow, did OKC get the rawest of deals in that "gentlemen's agreement".

The 7/11's in the Metro are generally horrible places while QuickTrips are at the extreme opposite end of the spectrum.

OnCue saw a great opportunity and is obviously thriving...

I hope they drive 7/11 completely out of business. Most their locations are shameful.
    7-11 is getting better. I noticed around the city they are cleaning up and remodeling the stores or replacing them. They just replaced the one on 10th and Air Depot it was little ratty store. Now, it has 12 gas pumps, a large clean bright store with a self serve grill, fresh donuts, lots of choices for drinks, coffees, shakes, snacks and a large checkout counter. It's about twice the size of the old store. They really outdid themselves. It should be noted that if it weren't for OnCue, they would probably still be the dinky little stores.I don't see them going under anytime soon. The construction worker community keeps most stores pretty busy during the work day and their gas prices keep their pumps full of cars around the clock.

Thread Information