Widgets Magazine

Thread: Christmas music on KMGL magic 104.1

Thumbs up Christmas music on KMGL magic 104.1

Magic 104.1 started the christmas music today at 9:00 AM and i can't believe we already in the christmas time of the year

2. Default Re: Christmas music on KMGL magic 104.1

My thoughts...

Default Re: Christmas music on KMGL magic 104.1

Quote Originally Posted by Tydude View Post
    Magic 104.1 started the christmas music today at 9:00 AM and i can't believe we already in the christmas time of the year
    I can't believe it either. Why . . . We haven't even been treated to the traditional Thanksgiving music yet!
    Maybe with "Black Friday" coming up they could rotate this into the mix?

I know that the tune has always conveyed that certain "holiday" cheer to me . . .
    (except of course at walmart . . .)

Just so you know: Mr. B is actually singing this song about that Butterball Turkey he got at a bargain basement price.

It looks like KXY is also playing Christmas music.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    It looks like KXY is also playing Christmas music.
    like KMGL? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Make the bad radio stations go AWAY!

6. Default Re: Christmas music on KMGL magic 104.1

Does KMGL have the same 20 songs on their playlist as last year? I've been listening a bit while in the car and I swear, every time I hear the exact same songs. And they're not even the good ones. Maybe I'm just unlucky.

Yeah, I noticed that, too. And they do seem to lead off the early part of the month with the, well, "less cheery" Christmas tunes. Both of my kids noticed it independently -- my son said, "Why do they always play the depressing ones first?"

I think that Christmas playlist is something that individual stations buy/license from a music distributor on the cheap, which probably explains why it doesn't change much from year to year. They're probably what would be considered down the list in popularity (with some obvious exceptions) so the distributor can likely get it licensed on the (relatively) cheap. Saw a story on this last year on a national news outlet, and the reality is that it apparently drives good ratings for the stations that run them, and that means more ad revenue. Until that trend stops, expect it to continue.

That said, while there are several I could do without, I don't know that I get tired of Straight No Chaser's rendition of "12 Days of Christmas," or Bing Crosby's "White Christmas," or even Jose Feliciano's "Feliz Navidad." Some of the rest of them could, however, make some folks jump in front of a bread truck.

I hate Feliz Navidad! LOL, and, I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Clause.

Suppose the reason they save the fun ones for later is the more hard core Christmas people like obscure stuff while the general herd prefers things they know (speaking for myself).

Some I like on my CD's:
    Twelve Days - The Sinatra Family
    Away in a Manger - Willlie Nelson
    Auld Lang Syne - Lou Rawls
    Happy Christmas (War is Over) - John Lennon
    Winter Wonderland - Tony Bennett
    What Christmas Means to Me - Stevie Wonder
    Deck the Halls - Smokey Robinson & Miracles

I think 94.7 KQSR did a good job with Christmas music back in the day.

I am happy OKC has two stations this year, so if I don't like whats on one I turn it to the other.

I sure hope that they have this one in the rotation as It is quite possibly the worst Christmas Song ever written
    (it is to Christmas Music as McArthur Park is to "Easy Listenin'" Sounds).

It is much more appropriate for The Black Thursday/Friday HollyDaze.
    And even Brenda, herownself, recognized that fact
    (especially after someone switched her squirt gun for a fully automatic AK-47).

Actually, that second clip would work well as an apology for a large number of ill-conceived gifts opened after Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree. Wouldn't it? =)

Personally, I prefer Mannheim Steamroller, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, and anything Celtic (including the soon to be number one hit by Dropkick Murpheys =) 24-7.

So . . . D'ya sp'ose maybe The Spy could cut a deal with that Aggie NPR--'scuse me, I meant PBS--Affiliate up in Stillwater . . . ? Nah. =)

Oh well . . . In any case it's better to light one candle than to curse the darkness . . .

Well . . . Isn't it?
    (i thought so too =)

Since tomorrow is Halloween, how much longer do you think it will be before its "Ho-Ho-Ho" on Magic 104.1?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Since tomorrow is Halloween, how much longer do you think it will be before its "Ho-Ho-Ho" on Magic 104.1?
    I think they ordinarily start it the day after Thanksgiving, don't they?

That's at least what I remember. Don't know for sure.

13. Default Re: Christmas music on KMGL magic 104.1

YES!! I love the all the Christmas music, hell I've been listening to it since July.

It is appropriate for the Monster Mash now, not Jingle Bells!

The day after Thanksgiving? Surely you jest. I expect to hear some by Veterans' Day. Now we won't hear the B.C. Clark jingle until the 6 p.m. news on Thanksgiving, and most likely on channel 4, but the Christmas tunes on the radio will be here before you know it.

Call me old-fashioned ( or worse) but Taylor Swift's "Last Christmas" doesn't qualify as a Christmas song in my book.
    Last edited by Tritone; 10-31-2015 at 03:48 PM. Reason: You have to ask? I can't ty[e.

Quote Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
    Call me old-fashioned ( or worse) but Taylor Swift's "Last Christmas" doesn't qualify as a Christmas song in my book.
    I would rather hear that than "All I Want For Christmas Is You" by Mariah Carey. I agree though, I prefer older Christmas music. Stuff from the Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby era.

There are so many great Christmas songs that rarely get played.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I would rather hear that than "All I Want For Christmas Is You" by Mariah Carey. I agree though, I prefer older Christmas music. Stuff from the Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby era.

There are so many great Christmas songs that rarely get played.
    We don't even bother with the radio for Christmas songs, since our taste isn't close to what they play, so we've got about 50-60 CDs that we just pull some out of for each year. Los Straitjackets, old BBC recordings of play-type things, Rat Pack, Chris Isaak, etc...

A little early for music but I never mind that the stores start early because some of us plan way in advance for the holidays and the more time, the better.

I did notice this year that Costco waited longer to break our their Christmas merchandise. Last year, they had it out in August, which is early even for me.

I love hearing Christmas music on the radio. Always cheers me up. I've never been a fan of the children's songs being sung on the radio, but I prefer the adult versions.

20. Default Re: Christmas music on KMGL magic 104.1

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I love hearing Christmas music on the radio. Always cheers me up. I've never been a fan of the children's songs being sung on the radio, but I prefer the adult versions.
    +1

Some people complain about one station playing Christmas music. I don't get that. If you don't want to hear it, don't listen to that station. A lot of the time, i do want to hear Christmas music, and it's nice to know that I can tune to 104.1 and know that they will be playing it.

We go the CD route as well: Andy, Bing, Ella, Mel, plus some purely instrumentals. Anyway, what is it, about 53 days 'til Christmas?

Thread Information