Widgets Magazine

Thread: Paint Disposal in Edmond

Default Paint Disposal in Edmond

This may not related to anything, but I was wondering if anyone knows where in Edmond to dispose of old paint? I don't believe that the trash service wants to pick it up unless it is dried up, but I have some that is old and I need to get rid of. I wondered if maybe one of the home repair places does this.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that home depot till take old light bulbs (CFL's) in their store - wish they would advertise this service.

Default Re: Paint Disposal in Edmond

is there enough that a non-profit could put it to a reasonable use?

if not, I suppose one could list it on craigslist free section as outdoor art supplies or panhandler sign ink (I keeed)

Well, there isn't a lot in each container, and it probably isn't usable, so I really want it for disposal, just no sure the appropriate place in town to do that.

Hmm seems like last time I had looked (its been awhile) they didn't have as much info up on that. Thanks

They do a thing once a year where you can drop off, paint, chemicals, electronics, anything you aren't supposed to put in the trash. I think they hold it at UCO. I've done it once but it was several years ago. Seems like they had it pretty recently. I've got a bunch of stuff like that I need to get rid of as well, but I was out of town when they held the event so I've still got it. I don't know what to do with this junk, but I don't want to keep it much longer.

Check the OKC web page for information. You are allowed to use it, but call them first. Also click on this link for more information - City of Oklahoma City | Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility
    C. T.

And I would still be open to businesses that would take things like this. Seems like it would be a nice alternative to the one time the City of Edmond will let you do it per year.

I found this at the Edmond web page. There is also an annual doorside collection that appears to be free, but too long to cut/paste, so just go to their website with this link and it will point to both doorside and dropoff links. Edmond, OK - Official Website - Household Hazardous Waste
    C. T.
    Drop Off
    Edmond has an agreement with Oklahoma City that allows you to use the Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) collection facility located at SW 15th and Portland. Take your driver's license and a copy of your current City of Edmond utility statement for proof of residency.

For a fee, Edmond residential solid waste service customers can dispose of hazardous chemicals at the facility. Chemicals that are accepted include pesticides, paints, polishes, cleaners, and automotive supplies such as oil, antifreeze and batteries. Automotive and implement tires cannot be accepted at the facility.

The Environmental Protection Agency regulations make it illegal to discard hazardous chemicals with normal household waste. It is also illegal to dispose of these products in storm drains, creeks, rivers or streams.

The fees for disposing of the household hazardous waste will be added to your monthly utility bill. The service code "HHW" will be listed on the bill where you see the fees. The fee for disposal is:

7.5 gallons or less is $39.50
    7.5 to 15 gallons is $79
    15 to 22 gallons is $118.50
    22 to 30 gallons is $158.50

Only residential, household hazardous waste is accepted. The facility cannot dispose of hazardous chemicals from commercial establishments.

Thread Information