Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cruise Ship Wreck in the Mediterranean

Default Cruise Ship Wreck in the Mediterranean

It's difficult to believe that this could happen with all of the modern technology used in modern cruise ships. I have been in the bridge area of numerous cruise ships and the gadgetry looks amazing. Heads will roll over this.

http://news.yahoo.com/coast-guard-sh...033222889.html

2. Default Re: Cruise Ship Wreck in the Mediterranean

There has been numerous of earthquakes all over the world. The geographic of the ocean floor changes drastically, if I'm understanding, the ship hit a rock or something? Something changed that wasn't updated in their underwater GPS or something. I dunno... Technology can't always save us.

3. Default Re: Cruise Ship Wreck in the Mediterranean

Earthquakes? Probably not. Much more likely a navigator sailing with his head where the sun doesn't shine.

Default Re: Cruise Ship Wreck in the Mediterranean

"There has been numerous of earthquakes all over the world. The geographic of the ocean floor changes drastically . . ."

Actually, the ocean was just a lot less deep (or more shallower) than it should have been because water was leaking out through a crack in the sea floor opened up by an earthquake.

Reports of a fire-breathing dinosaur--perhaps a Tyrrhenianasaurus Rex--ravaging Tuscany are unconfirmed.

Bet a few folks get jailed over this...The only good thing about this type of accident is it was just offshore

6. Default Re: Cruise Ship Wreck in the Mediterranean

People are already being arrested... First time ever in the history like this....don't think the captain of the Titanic was arrested. :-O

http://news.yahoo.com/cruise-ship-ag...235744825.html

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    There has been numerous of earthquakes all over the world. The geographic of the ocean floor changes drastically, if I'm understanding, the ship hit a rock or something? Something changed that wasn't updated in their underwater GPS or something. I dunno... Technology can't always save us.
    They were a few miles off course, if there was any change in topology then it has yet to be noticed by the authorities.

People are already being arrested... First time ever in the history like this....don't think the captain of the Titanic was arrested.
    Under maritime law their abandoning ship while passengers are still in danger is worse than the other charges for manslaughter.

8. Default Re: Cruise Ship Wreck in the Mediterranean

I saw the pictures and short videos after my first post and got a better handle of what was happening. Yeah, my theory was wrong. According to what I have seen, the ship went way too close to shore and it looks like intentionally. They hit a rock that was exposed above the water. Just way too close to shore. The video within the above link shows people standing a short distance away after being rescued. They were standing literally right in front of the sinking ship.

I'm going to bet that the captain and the navigation crew up there planned this intentionally as a sort of terrorist attack. Something went wrong and they went on to do this as a revenge or something. No excuse for what happened. I don't know if this happened during the night or day, but if it was during the day, then may the court sentence them to death by the electric chair submerged in water. Three people (and possibly more) shouldn't have died for this.

I have always thought that cruise ships are super-de-duper safe. Now it looks like I was wrong. I'm not going to get on a cruise ship in my lifetime. That makes two. Airplane and now cruise ship.

I saw the pictures and short videos after my first post and got a better handle of what was happening. Yeah, my theory was wrong. According to what I have seen, the ship went way too close to shore and it looks like intentionally. They hit a rock that was exposed above the water. Just way too close to shore. The video within the above link shows people standing a short distance away after being rescued. They were standing literally right in front of the sinking ship.

I'm going to bet that the captain and the navigation crew up there planned this intentionally as a sort of terrorist attack. Something went wrong and they went on to do this as a revenge or something. No excuse for what happened. I don't know if this happened during the night or day, but if it was during the day, then may the court sentence them to death by the electric chair submerged in water. Three people (and possibly more) shouldn't have died for this.

I have always thought that cruise ships are super-de-duper safe. Now it looks like I was wrong. I'm not going to get on a cruise ship in my lifetime. That makes two. Airplane and now cruise ship.
    Good resolution! Although, I would consider adding trains and automobiles to that list. I recommend traveling only by foot.

If it was a terrorist attack I'm thinking they would have done way out in the sea instead of 25 feet from shore

Quote Originally Posted by ZYX2 View Post
    Good resolution! Although, I would consider adding trains and automobiles to that list. I recommend traveling only by foot.
    Should really never leave the house

If they had just had a guy with a long, weighted rope hanging over the rail and hollering, "Mark . . . twain . . ." this all could have been avoided.

At least a few reports have stated that after rocks were struck the crew moved the boat closer to shore to make rescue easier.

Statistically safe and never having an accident again are very different. Mechanical failures, electronic failures and human error will still happen but how the evacuation was handled shows some deeper flaws in that cruse line though. For something like this or major plane crashes, it is usually breakdowns in several systems or procedures that if had happened alone would be correctable but together means disaster.

One thing that concerned me was the report that the evacuation drill had not taken place. I've been on many cruises and the drill has always taken place shortly after the ship leaves the first port. Many people don't take the drill too seriously but having some idea of what to do and where to go is very important.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/887385-c...drills-too-lax

Statistically safe and never having an accident again are very different. Mechanical failures, electronic failures and human error will still happen but how the evacuation was handled shows some deeper flaws in that cruse line though. For something like this or major plane crashes, it is usually breakdowns in several systems or procedures that if had happened alone would be correctable but together means disaster.

Submitted . . . For your reading and possible pleasure . . .

http://www.amazon.com/Set-Phasers-St...ion/0963617885

http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=MdBXAAAAYAAJ

Not necessarily in that order . . .
    Especially on a cruise . . . =)

BTW: It seems to me that it isn't "the cruse line" that is at fault here . . .
    It is only a small fraction of the crew on that particular ship.

"Mark . . . Oh, Sh-t! less than half a tenth of a twain . . . "

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    BTW: It seems to me that it isn't "the cruse line" that is at fault here . . .
    It is only a small fraction of the crew on that particular ship.
    It's the cruise line that will be paying out the rear for this though. Besides the mega millions that the ship cost the lawsuit settlements will be outlandish.

17. Default Re: Cruise Ship Wreck in the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    It's the cruise line that will be paying out the rear for this though. Besides the mega millions that the ship cost the lawsuit settlements will be outlandish.
    Better pray they have glorious insurance on that dead ship.

Better pray they have glorious insurance on that dead ship.
    I don't have to pray about anything. I assure you they are very well insured.

Yeah . . . I guess all this points up a serious flaw in The Cruise Line . . .
    Like not getting all the passengers to sign waivers (wavers?) before walking (up) the plank.

You know . . . To absolve the owners (their insurance agents, and heir and assigns of their insurance agents and their lawyers and so forth) of any liability on their part for the careless of oh . . . the captain? the navigator? the steward?

I guess the big bucks being sought will be those sought by the ACTUAL owners of the ship and their bankers rather than The Cruise Line it was leased to. Or to which it was leased.

I would have sworn that this tune was done by the band 10cc . . .
    I guess I was wrong.

20. Default Re: Cruise Ship Wreck in the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I don't have to pray about anything. I assure you they are very well insured.
    I know you are pretty well informed on this kind of thing...will the ship ever be seaworthy again? Or, was it totaled? I know nothing about this sort of thing but have been mortified at the stories I've read.

21. Default Re: Cruise Ship Wreck in the Mediterranean

Those such waivers wouldn't be honored in a court, I think. That's like opening the can of worms for everyone to force customers to sign waivers declaring no lawsuit can be filed. Sprint does it similar in their contract clause that we can't sue them. lolol

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    I know you are pretty well informed on this kind of thing...will the ship ever be seaworthy again? Or, was it totaled? I know nothing about this sort of thing but have been mortified at the stories I've read.
    I have no way of knowing for sure but my guess is that it will be a complete loss except for what can be salvaged. It seems to be rare in shipwrecks for the ship to ever be brought back into operation. This isn't like being at the bottom of the sea like the Titanic but I don't see how it could be saved. I also suspect that even if it could be salvaged it would be a hard sell to the public to get on a ship that had sunk before.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I guess the big bucks being sought will be those sought by the ACTUAL owners of the ship and their bankers rather than The Cruise Line it was leased to. Or to which it was leased.
    The ship was not leased.

24. Default Re: Cruise Ship Wreck in the Mediterranean

Mike, I don't see how that ship can be saved. Just look at it almost completely submerged. Flooded inside, the damage will quickly be at work. Like that guy above me said, best route is to salvage what can be saved and the rest for scrap yard. How old is this ship? It may not be human, but to me, it feels like a loss of life.

How old is this ship?
    It started sailing about 5 years ago.

Thread Information