Widgets Magazine

Thread: Super 8

Default Super 8

Saw a preview screening of SUPER 8 this morning. For those who don't know, it's the new sci-fi film written and directed by LOST creator JJ Abrams, and produced by Steven Spielberg.

What a fun and compelling thrill ride! The E.T. of our generation. Brilliant storycraft, unbelievable performances from the child actors, and one heck of a fun ride. And if you go, you MUST stay for the credits.

It's rated PG-13 for some really tense moments and a few words that are definitely NOT PG, but it's not terribly gory. We had two 9-year-olds with us and they weathered it just fine.

I was expecting more of a "Cloverfield" type horror, given Abrams previous feature narrative outing, and was thankful this was not like that.

I may not have gone had a friend not called this morning saying she had free passes, and can't express enough how glad I am I saw it.

Default Re: Super 8

You saw a press screening?

I've been looking forward to it but I enjoyed Cloverfield.

Directed by JJ Abrams? Im in.

JJ Abrams can do no wrong in my book

Just hope he doesn't lose his mojo like Shyamalan...That dude fell off a cliff

5. Default Re: Super 8

I was suppose to go to the showing this morning, but I couldn't get my passes to print. Darn GOFOBO, get your website fixed. I was very disappointed I couldn't go.

So are the flashback scenes in this movie just the characters in purgatory? LOL

7. Default Re: Super 8

This is the one movie I actually want to go and see this summer! Soooooo excited!

Looking forward to seeing the movie. The Super 8 iPhone app is really cool too, turns your cam into a super 8 style movie cam.

MadMonk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    JJ Abrams can do no wrong in my book

Just hope he doesn't lose his mojo like Shyamalan...That dude fell off a cliff
    No doubt.

http://marginalrevolution.com/margin...shyamalan.html

Went today. Didn't like it. You could tell Speilberg had his hands all over this one and didn't let Abrams do much.. Acting from the kids was good though. Would've liked a lot more Abrams and less Speilberg.

Loved it.

Enjoyed it, but some creativity in creature design would have been nice. It's very reminiscent of another well-known movie beastie.

What is the connection between this movie and the new TNT TV series "by Spielberg"--"Falling Skies", if any...

14. Default Re: Super 8

Quote Originally Posted by FritterGirl View Post
    Saw a preview screening of SUPER 8 this morning. For those who don't know, it's the new sci-fi film written and directed by LOST creator JJ Abrams, and produced by Steven Spielberg.

What a fun and compelling thrill ride! The E.T. of our generation. Brilliant storycraft, unbelievable performances from the child actors, and one heck of a fun ride. And if you go, you MUST stay for the credits.

It's rated PG-13 for some really tense moments and a few words that are definitely NOT PG, but it's not terribly gory. We had two 9-year-olds with us and they weathered it just fine.

I was expecting more of a "Cloverfield" type horror, given Abrams previous feature narrative outing, and was thankful this was not like that.

I may not have gone had a friend not called this morning saying she had free passes, and can't express enough how glad I am I saw it.
    This "review" sounds like it was taken straight from a press release.

In exchange for the free passes to the advanced screening did they suggest that you go hype it on the interwebs?

There's a story about why they did these screenings here: http://movies.yahoo.com/news/usmovie...arn-37-million

15. Default Re: Super 8

Just saw it. Any part that didnt have to do with the monster was fantastic. Kids were great. Felt like it needed to expand more on the father son relationship. Spielberg def had his way with this and I felt like he cheapened it (just like he did with AI after Kubrick passed away) with his Close encounters and ET comparisions. Plus if anyone saw cloverfield the monster looked very similar to the one in that Abrams movie too. best part was film during credits. very disappointed.

16. Default Re: Super 8

We saw the movie tonight thanks to WWLS. It was a fun movie, very suspenseful, and the kids were great. I had been looking forward to see it, and wasn't disappointed. We saw X-Men over the week-end. We enjoyed that one too. There are some pretty good movies out.

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkross View Post
    What is the connection between this movie and the new TNT TV series "by Spielberg"--"Falling Skies", if any...
    None whatsoever.

18. Default Re: Super 8

I saw it this afternoon and was disappointed. I'd go into why but I don't want to spoil it for anyone. For me, the best part was the the kid's Super 8 film shown about 30 seconds after the credits roll - so don't jump up and leave. The cast was very good, btw. I won't say more.

I'd only slightly recommend it... It was well done and entertaining but felt like a big mash-up of Gremlins, Goonies, Jurassic Park, E.T., Close Encounters and Cloverfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    It was well done and entertaining but felt like a big mash-up of Gremlins, Goonies, Jurassic Park, E.T., Close Encounters and Cloverfield.
    Liked it, loved it, liked it, loved it, loved it, haven't seen it

Sounds like I need to see this thing as soon as possible XD

Do you have to have seen the first seven movies to follow this one?

22. Default Re: Super 8

I'm thinking it looks like a good candidate for $1 when it goes to RedBox in a few months. We like setting up the 12' outdoor movie screen and having a cookout and movie night.

Quote Originally Posted by lake hefner breeze View Post
    This "review" sounds like it was taken straight from a press release. In exchange for the free passes to the advanced screening did they suggest that you go hype it on the interwebs?
    Any hyping I did of this film was all on my own. I was not paid to endorse, nor given any monetary or other incentive to talk about this film. I happen to be in PR, so if my "review" above sounds like a press release, then so be it, that's the way I write/review. I also happen to have studied screenplay writing and have written a few screenplays myself, so am influenced by that, as well.

It's too bad others didn't like the film or found it disappointing. Sure there were some "copy cat" moments as it were, but overall I found the film a fitting nostalgic hat-tip to some of our great 80s kids adventure films.

B- Would suggest as a rental.

Thread Information