Widgets Magazine

Thread: Photography Magazines

Default Photography Magazines

Any suggestions for digital SLR? I'm considering upgrading to an SLR and am looking for magazines that local shuttlebugs find interesting. I'm not wed to a particular topic, at this point. I'd just appreciate some suggestions to help me focus in on magazines I might end up enjoying. Thanks.

Default Re: Photography Magazines

You might shoot by your local bookseller and take a look at their fare. When my husband was more immersed in the field, he found a few British SLR/photography magazines more to his liking than many of the US offerings. As I recall, most of the US mags focus on equipment, "how-to's" and post-process, so were much more technical in their content. The UK magazines focused more on photographers and their work. I guess it's a matter of what kind of reading experience you're looking for.

I'll try to find some titles for you, especially for the UK magazines.

Thanks, Fritter Girl. While I was in NYC, last week, I took a look at a lot of magazine but was wondering which ones are consistently interesting.

I only shoot film but "photo technique" (no caps deliberately, that's the masthead) covers the whole spectrum of photography; analog, digital, alternative, historical. Plenty of DSLR articles. I don't know if you'll find it on a news stand but try here http://www.phototechmag.com/ for a preview.

Quote Originally Posted by skyrick View Post
    I only shoot film but "photo technique" (no caps deliberately, that's the masthead) covers the whole spectrum of photography; analog, digital, alternative, historical. Plenty of DSLR articles. I don't know if you'll find it on a news stand but try here http://www.phototechmag.com/ for a preview.
    Thanks, skyrick - I'll take a look.

I only shoot film
    Should get that fixed. There's a brave new world out there...

Quote Originally Posted by HewenttoJared View Post
    Should get that fixed. There's a brave new world out there...
    As I understand it, the challenge of using film attracts some people. Different strokes. I admire people who can do that. Skyrick, do you have your own darkroom? That would be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyQuilts View Post
    As I understand it, the challenge of using film attracts some people. Different strokes. I admire people who can do that. Skyrick, do you have your own darkroom? That would be fun.
    I have a sort-of darkroom, I commandeered the upstairs bathroom. You're right, PQ, about the challenge. You have to learn about exposure and light and discipline to get a couple of negatives, worthy of enlarging and printing, out of 12 exposures on a roll of 120. Firing off a couple hundred digital clicks and getting a few great ones is usually a matter of luck. Though there are some great digital photographers out there, their roots are almost always in film, and were able to translate what they learned over a lifetime into the new medium.

I have a sort-of darkroom, I commandeered the upstairs bathroom. You're right, PQ, about the challenge. You have to learn about exposure and light and discipline to get a couple of negatives, worthy of enlarging and printing, out of 12 exposures on a roll of 120. Firing off a couple hundred digital clicks and getting a few great ones is usually a matter of luck. Though there are some great digital photographers out there, their roots are almost always in film, and were able to translate what they learned over a lifetime into the new medium.
    Digital photography is still too new, so most all talents got their start in film. I finally took the digital plunge a couple of years ago (alas, my Olympus OM-1s!). It's faster, certainly, and probably cheaper in the long run, and post processing apps such as Photoshop allow us to do things that were unimaginable back when I got started (mid-70s). But there was always something magical about working in the darkroom and watching the images appear on the paper.

Sadly, film-based photography is becoming a niche market. It happened a lot faster than I thought it would.

Thread Information