Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does the "Emergency Snow Route" designation mean anything?

Default Does the "Emergency Snow Route" designation mean anything?

Just curious, since a lot of the streets marked that have had nothing done to them - 164th, 150th/33rd, May, all up in NW OKC. I really hope the other "Emergency Snow Routes" are better! Yeah, I know this was record-setting, etc., but it stopped snowing almost 48 hours ago, which I would've thought would've been *plenty* of time for the plows (how many does OKC have? I really don't know.) to finish at the very least the "Emergency Snow Routes". Really, it's sad how bad those roads still are if they have the equipment and drivers to do it (yeah, they'd probably have to work multiple ridiculously long shifts, but that comes with the job, and I've had to work ridiculously long shifts as part of my job too, so I sympathize). Once a road's plowed and the wind's not gusting to 50 MPH anymore, it's going to stay pretty much clear, but there are main "Emergency Snow Routes" out there that have 8-12" high snow and ice on them. Just completely baffling...

Monday morning commute is going to be g*d-f-ing-awful if they don't do anything more than they have, just so y'all that haven't been out are aware....

And yeah, in case anybody's wondering, pretty much all I do is complain, but by doing so, I hope to bring things to light and eventually make them better - I emailed our councilman about this, but it won't do a bit of good after what I read about him in the past few minutes. I'd really like to try to make things better here (in some way, but not sure how yet since I seriously doubt I could get elected to any office where I could make a difference (and that's not even a sure way to change things in this state/city)), but I fear I'm outnumbered and will just get the sh*t beat out of me by the status quo. How do you get things to change to the way they should be done here? Or should I just give up and be a good little sheeple and accept things the way they are?
    Last edited by TheTravellers; 12-26-2009 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Took Western out of routes we drove because we didn't actually drive on it, we went down May instead

Default Re: Does the "Emergency Snow Route" designation mean anything?

I looked at the City site and downloaded the regional snow routes. I was a little surprised that they've apparently superseded the City snow routes or I guess that is so.

On the south end of town the City has done a fabulous job on S 134th Street. But I can't tell there has been a plow at all on any of the North-South streets. Beats me why.

The neighborhoods are still really bad.

Beats me what the deal is. In the old city snow route scheme I think South 119th was designated but if there's been a plow on it I can't tell it.

3. Default Re: Does the "Emergency Snow Route" designation mean anything?

Western Avenue in northwest Oklahoma City between Memorial Road and NW 178 was in VERY GOOD condition today (was out this morning and afternoon), and it was a huge contrast to Edmond roads which apparently are never plowed. I'm very curious which stretch of Western you were traveling today.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Western Avenue in northwest Oklahoma City between Memorial Road and NW 178 was in VERY GOOD condition today (was out this morning and afternoon), and it was a huge contrast to Edmond roads which apparently are never plowed. I'm very curious which stretch of Western you were traveling today.
    Y'know, now that I think about it, we did not go down Western, we almost did, but decided not to and took May instead. My bad, I'll edit the original post.

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    I looked at the City site and downloaded the regional snow routes. I was a little surprised that they've apparently superseded the City snow routes or I guess that is so.

On the south end of town the City has done a fabulous job on S 134th Street. But I can't tell there has been a plow at all on any of the North-South streets. Beats me why.

Beats me what the deal is. In the old city snow route scheme I think South 119th was designated but if there's been a plow on it I can't tell it.
    Neighborhoods I expect to not be plowed at all - that's about the way it was in the Chicago burbs, and I'm fine with that. They did *eventually* get plowed up there, but only after *all* the main routes had been plowed and been clear for a day or so, then they worked on the side streets, so sometimes it took 3-4 days to get to them.

6. Default Re: Does the "Emergency Snow Route" designation mean anything?

Expect neighborhood roads to be plowed when tax rates hit 70 percent.

7. Default Re: Does the "Emergency Snow Route" designation mean anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    See that's funny.. down here the OKC roads are horrible, with the one exception of SW 134th which you can almost go full-speed on (50 mph). Once you get into Moore those roads are so well-plowed you can pretty much turn off the 4WD. I know that OKC is having problems, I want to shop/eat/movies/etc in OKC etc.. but the allure of the plowed roads in Moore as opposed to S. Ice Cap Ave (Penn) which has NOT been plowed (or Western, May, etc), I think I'll go over to Moore.

Being the only north/south thoroughfare in decent shape, I-35 in Cleveland County was pretty jammed all day.

I don't think that "snow route" means anything in OKC..

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    See that's funny.. down here the OKC roads are horrible, with the one exception of SW 134th which you can almost go full-speed on (50 mph). Once you get into Moore those roads are so well-plowed you can pretty much turn off the 4WD. I know that OKC is having problems, I want to shop/eat/movies/etc in OKC etc.. but the allure of the plowed roads in Moore as opposed to S. Ice Cap Ave (Penn) which has NOT been plowed (or Western, May, etc), I think I'll go over to Moore.

Being the only north/south thoroughfare in decent shape, I-35 in Cleveland County was pretty jammed all day.

Yes there were plows on S 134th this evening and it is almost totally clear.

If the plows have run anywhere else down here in OKC limits I haven't seen the evidence.

The Emergency Snow Route disignation just means it is the ones the City will tackle first (or at all). Certainly doesn't guarantee they will be snow/ice free by any means but are probably your best bet. On one of the local channels they said the City crews were concentrating on the East (?) side of town and they had contracted the West side out.

Got out of my apt complex Sat afternoon/evening (after taking the patio gate off the hinges so I could leave my apt) across the street from Deaconess Hospital. Portland was passable but when you got to NW Expressway, it was rough going...dry spots but in the section I drove (from Portland to Meridian and back), it was like driving on a gully washed country road. Surprised I have any shocks left. Hopefully Sunday will be better (going to south side to my parents for delayed Christmas.

Hmmm, how was Shields? LOL Hope everyone is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post

SW 134th is also a state highway. Highway 37 I think.

12. Default Re: Does the "Emergency Snow Route" designation mean anything?

I have lived off of Western and NW 164th for nearly 4 years now. NW 164th / S 15th has never been plowed, salted, or sanded east of Western Ave during that time. According to the Oklahoma County map, it is the responsibility of Edmond to do so. How does Edmond get away with not plowing any of their snow routes? Can't the county or state fine them for not following through on the emergency snow route designations?

I must say I'm very impressed, there's been 12 postings and no one has blamed MAPS3--yet, there was one smart ass remark about--maybe when the tax rate hits 70%.
    I truly expected either the MAPS3 blame or "I bet the Mayor and his rich cronies have clear roads, come on somebody, don't let the MAPS haters down

FWIW, I think the city's done very well with what they have. They have a massive area to cover compared to most cities, much relatively sparsely populated, a relatively low tax rate overall, and this was an historic snowfall. So in terms of this, I think the city, county, and whatever other agencies were involved have done a bang-up job to get as much done as they have.

On a tangent, I'm thrilled that I didn't lose power in extreme weather for once.

15. Default Re: Does the "Emergency Snow Route" designation mean anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Hmmm, how was Shields? LOL
    LOL

In the interest of going "Green", the city is relying on solar snow removal. They obviously don't want to waste their investment in this new technology by resorting to the old plough and sand methods.

rcjunkie, you're turning into a troll as bad as the former anti-maps OKCTalk members. Let it go already.

As for the County snow plan... This was a volunteer, combined effort that ACOG put together, not the County or the State. Each city agreed (on the surface) to plow the County plan first. In some cases, it went against what the cities had on their own plans, but in the interest of regional cooperation, the county-wide plan was agreed to. The information I know of indicates that the "Emergency Snow Routes" are old signs and should really be removed... the snow routes are evaluated yearly to ensure that the most critical points are being plowed.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    rcjunkie, you're turning into a troll as bad as the former anti-maps OKCTalk members. Let it go already.

As for the County snow plan... This was a volunteer, combined effort that ACOG put together, not the County or the State. Each city agreed (on the surface) to plow the County plan first. In some cases, it went against what the cities had on their own plans, but in the interest of regional cooperation, the county-wide plan was agreed to. The information I know of indicates that the "Emergency Snow Routes" are old signs and should really be removed... the snow routes are evaluated yearly to ensure that the most critical points are being plowed.
    My posting was in reference to some personal messages I received from frequent OKCTALK and MAPS3 opponets members, I've tried to ingnore them but when they turn personal, it's hard to do.

It is great to live in a free Country!!

All the main streets in far southwest OKC were plowed overnight. Pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    My posting was in reference to some personal messages I received from frequent OKCTALK and MAPS3 opponets members, I've tried to ingnore them but when they turn personal, it's hard to do.

It is great to live in a free Country!!
    Ahh, message retracted. How sad that people are turning to PMs to wage personal vendettas. Sorry.

Ahh, message retracted. How sad that people are turning to PMs to wage personal vendettas. Sorry.
    I retract my retraction. I think I was right... all Maps 3 sides need to reconcile and work to move Maps 3 forward properly and also work to fund the Fire/Police needs (not fund pay raises necessarily, but fund the needed positions/new fire stations).

Enough said... this post is supposed to be about Emergency Snow Routes.

22. Default Re: Does the "Emergency Snow Route" designation mean anything?

I just thought junkie made an ironic comment. He wasn't rehashing the old MAPS 3 flame wars...sarcastic and witty comments are still appropriate, no?

I just thought junkie made an ironic comment. He wasn't rehashing the old MAPS 3 flame wars...sarcastic and witty comments are still appropriate, no?
    Posting a Maps 3 comment is no longer witty, it's tired and used up. Let's move the discourse forward.

24. Default Re: Does the "Emergency Snow Route" designation mean anything?

I don't think junkie is so much caught on MAPS as he is caught on anti-public safety. I myself am a little annoyed at the unions and the actions of the police dept in particular lately, but I didn't mention any of that during the campaign because I didn't want to make MAPS 3 about being "anti-public safety." Now that my goose is safe, I'm free to express other unpopular opinions I might have. That's just my take on the lingering feelings from MAPS anyway.

Ah, I forgot to actually specify the "Emergency Snow Route" designation I was referring to - it was the one on the front page of City of Oklahoma City | News, not the street signs. Sorry....

Thread Information