Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OKC Council approves plans for OKC Thunder practice facility...

Default OKC Council approves plans for OKC Thunder practice facility...

Oklahoma City council approves plans for Thunder practice facility

By Bryan Dean - Staff Writer
    Published: July 7, 2009

Oklahoma City will take bids later this month from contractors who want to build a $15.5 million NBA practice facility for the Oklahoma City Thunder.

The city council approved final plans for the project Tuesday. The council also awarded a multitude of contracts for pieces of a $100 million renovation of the Ford Center to bring it to NBA standards.

The practice facility will be located near Britton Road and the Broadway Extension. It will include practice courts, locker rooms, a strength and conditioning area, sports medicine area, team offices and storage areas along with furniture, fixtures and equipment.

The practice facility and the Ford Center renovations are being paid for by a sales tax approved by voters last year.

The council on Tuesday awarded a $2 million contract to AZCAR USA Inc for audio and video production equipment at the Ford Center. Council members also approved an $860,000 contract with Micros Systems Inc. for a new point of sales system and a $247,000 contract with ANC Sports for a new scorer's table.

The city is also seeking bids for a new media table, expected to cost $100,000. Bids for that project will be accepted later this month.

Each of the Ford Center projects is expected to be finished in the fall. The practice facility is scheduled to be ready for the 2010-2011 NBA season.

http://newsok.com/city-council-appro...ad_story_title

Default re: OKC Council approves plans for OKC Thunder practice facility...

I thought it was a 20 million practice facility? Is that just a rough estimate?

Quote Originally Posted by nighttrain12 View Post
    I thought it was a 20 million practice facility? Is that just a rough estimate?
    Initially from previous articles it stated around 20 million however, perhaps the cost is a new revised estimate due to the economy and it could very well be that construction costs are going down as a result.

maybe they found a BOGO special on the practice floors and lockers

I find the design very bland, that said, it's only a practice facility.

I'm not a rabid b-ball follower. Do peeps actually visit tour, get all shrinerific over NBA practice facilities elsewhere?

yes, they can tour and stuff, although it's not as common as the main arena for a team.

Blog Entries

I think the team should be very fortunate to be getting a city-subsidized practice facility. If Bennett's group feels that isn't enough; then, let them add any amenities which they feel will spruce up the new facility at the owners' expense.

Looks great to me; like someone said, it's only a practice facility.

I saw the blueprints today. It is going to be really nice. Looks like they should have everything they need. (example: saunas, hydrotherapy pools, massage room, dining facilities, video rooms, oh and a couple practice courts, etc.) Approx 55,000 square feet.

Default Re: OKC Council approves plans for OKC Thunder practice facility...

Quote Originally Posted by icecold View Post
    I saw the blueprints today. It is going to be really nice. Looks like they should have everything they need. (example: saunas, hydrotherapy pools, massage room, dining facilities, video rooms, oh and a couple practice courts, etc.) Approx 55,000 square feet.
    I wonder if taxpayers will be able to make use of these awesome sounding facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I wonder if taxpayers will be able to make use of these awesome sounding facilities.
    Yup! We sure do!!! We get to go to NBA games 41 nights out of the year!!

Quote Originally Posted by Watson410 View Post
    Yup! We sure do!!! We get to go to NBA games 41 nights out of the year!!
    What does that have to do with the sauna, hydrotherapy pools, massage room and dining facilities at the practice facility?

13. Default Re: OKC Council approves plans for OKC Thunder practice facility...

Your right my comment made as much sense as you wondering if were going get any use out of the practice facility.. There only about 15 people that's going to get use of it, not including the coaching stuff..

Your right my comment made as much sense as you wondering if were going get any use out of the practice facility.. There only about 15 people that's going to get use of it, not including the coaching stuff..
    And that's my point.

Taxpayers pay for this beautiful facility with lavish amenties and only a couple dozen folks may get to use it.

Wouldn't it be fair for the investors (us) to make use of the facility?

Blog Entries

Good point Luke:

I'm glad they trimmed down the practice facility from $20 million to $15.5 (sales tax collections are down); if the team needs a $20 million facility, I'm sure Clay Bennett and PBC will chip in. I know they are recovering from their "nightmare" in the Emerald City (Seattle); however, it's time to kick off those ruby slippers and realize that the economy has taken a turn for the worst from a yellow brick road to a red one.

They can add to the new facility as time goes on; they invested $4 million on the current facility they occupy in Edmond.

The Thunder will be alright as long as the team stays competitive. This city can support an NBA franchise without winning the NBA championship.

And that's my point.

Taxpayers pay for this beautiful facility with lavish amenties and only a couple dozen folks may get to use it.

Wouldn't it be fair for the investors (us) to make use of the facility?
    That was my whole point with my first comment I made... While were not getting to enjoy the amenties of the practice facility that you and I paid for, we are getting to enjoy having the NBA in OKC. If we had not paid for the practice facility and/or Ford Center upgrades, we most likely wouldn't have the NBA.

While were not getting to enjoy the amenties of the practice facility that you and I paid for, we are getting to enjoy having the NBA in OKC.
    No we aren't.

Not unless we pay even more for a ticket to enter the arena that we paid for watching the jumbotron we paid for.

OMG!! Nevermind!! Your impossible.

OMG!! Nevermind!! Your impossible.
    I understand what you are saying. Do you understand what I am saying?

Yeah i understand what your saying... It's just all a part of having a Major League franchise. I don't think since we paid for the facility, we should be able to use or enjoy it.. It's for our team. None of the other cities get to enjoy their teams facilities. It's worth it to me to just go to the games and support our team. I will admit though, it would be awesome if they had a couple open practices for the fans.

I don't think since we paid for the facility, we should be able to use or enjoy it..
    Take from the poor, give to the rich.

haha isn't that the way the world works?!?!

Take from the poor, give to the rich.
    Aren't you currently griping on the health care threads?

J/K

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Aren't you currently griping about the opposite on the health care threads?

J/K
    No.

Thread Information