Widgets Magazine

Thread: Morning Animals

Default Morning Animals

What has happend to the morning animals? I rarely listen to them in the summer, but when clicking through this morning it was ESPN's Mike & Mike.

Default Re: Morning Animals

They're still on the air, but I think they're taking a three-day weekend for the holiday.
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

Ahhh damn, I was hoping you said they got pulled. I can not listen to them at all. They never seem to know what they are talking about (all 15 of them it seems) and never once has their "funny bits" made me laugh. The gay Sergio thing they do is just dumb rather than funny. IMO OKC could use an over haul of the sportstalk hosts. After listening to the ticket in Dallas and some national shows you realize how bad some of the local guys are.

Quote Originally Posted by icecold View Post
    Ahhh damn, I was hoping you said they got pulled. I can not listen to them at all. They never seem to know what they are talking about (all 15 of them it seems) and never once has their "funny bits" made me laugh. The gay Sergio thing they do is just dumb rather than funny. IMO OKC could use an over haul of the sportstalk hosts. After listening to the ticket in Dallas and some national shows you realize how bad some of the local guys are.
    agree, can't stand steeley! wish the ref had an fm signal, and they should let rusty olsen go, he is as bad as steeley.

Quote Originally Posted by icecold View Post
    After listening to the ticket in Dallas and some national shows you realize how bad some of the local guys are.
    The local sports radio hosts and analysts suck because the listening audience also sucks so badly at life.

Allow me to portray the typical call that airs on the Sports Animal:

Radio Host: Let's go to Jack, in Oklahoma City. What's on your mind Jack?

Caller: Hey, am I on?
    (Duh)

Radio Host: You're on the Sports Animal, go ahead please.

Caller:Cool. Hey, what are your thoughts on the Sooners this year?
    (I'm incapable of formulating my own opinion and desperately need to hear what you think.)

Radio Host: Well, I think they're going to be good this year...

Caller: Oh, okay. Thanks for taking my call.

Radio Host: Okay, now we have Michael on the line, from Moore. What's up, Michael?

Caller: Not much...big fan of your show Trabe.
    (slurp)

Radio Host: Thank you Michael, I gotta give it up to myself...big leagues...doggonit.

Caller: Hey, what do you think about Stoops' pay increase?
    (I don't have enough firing synapses in my brain to power a lightning bug's badunkadunk, let alone concoct my own opinion.)

Radio Host: Well, I think...

Caller: Okay, thanks...
    (...for telling me what to think.)
    If you live in OKC and think the Sports Animal sucks, you have everyone else around you to thank for that. They're the ones keeping them in business.

If they would come up with a new late afternoon show sans Barry Tramel, Jim Traber it would improve 10 fold in my eyes...

7. Default Re: Morning Animals

If they did a couple of hours of Sooner-free radio where they talk about pro sports in general, that would be a big step forward.

Truthfully, I stopped listening to the local stuff once I got the apps on my Touch.

8. Default Re: Morning Animals

Quote Originally Posted by AFCM View Post
    ...Allow me to portray the typical call that airs on the Sports Animal:...
    You forgot to mention something about recruitment.

Thumbs down Re: Morning Animals

The local sports radio hosts and analysts suck because the listening audience also sucks so badly at life.

If you live in OKC and think the Sports Animal sucks, you have everyone else around you to thank for that. They're the ones keeping them in business.
    thats just stupid....the morning animal sucks because of the host not the callers. I dont want to listen to these "wannabe hosts and sports DJ's" discuss the male nudity in Borat or the latest american idol winner. Mike & Mike are much more entertaining than our local guys.

For the record its not just the morning animal that sucks. Ive said this before but i would be glad to rehash, OKC radio sucks peroid. Most of it is so awful its just embarassing, but some of it is so bad it is downright offensive. It hasn't always been this way, but you talk to people who have lived elsewhere and moved here and you will get what i mean.

I don't subscribe to XM because i like to throw away money...

Quote Originally Posted by stratosphere View Post
    thats just stupid....the morning animal sucks because of the host not the callers.
    I never stated the show sucked because of the callers. If you're trying to dismiss my position, at least comprehend and address my argument.

AFCM, good impression, you just left out the part about them being on a remote at BRSI and then cutting to 6 minutes of commercial for every 3 minutes of showtime.

I have no idea why anyone listens to that show, it's awful.

James Hale usually has pretty good information if you listen to his show, but even that is needle in a haystack stuff.

I never stated the show sucked because of the callers. If you're trying to dismiss my position, at least comprehend and address my argument.
    my bad, i wasnt trying to upset you. I just re-read your post and i still get the impression that you are saying the show sucks because either the callers "suck so badly at life" or the listeners who never bother to call in perhaps? Which is why we have such bad callers....because most would just rather listen to the idiots that do call in rather than waste our time to dial and start an intelligent dialogue?

Maybe i don't get what you are saying....but no i didn't mean to come off as rude, sorry if i did.

I still think the big problem is with the hosts or DJs. The morning show is unlistenable...with or without callers. The afternoon guys are only marginally better. Jim Traber gets on my nerves, i don't care that he was an average baseball player and that he is a big Republican. Im sure he is a decent enough guy, but i hate hearing him talk about the Dallas Cowboys and Pittsburg Steelers. Furthermore, if anyone dare call in and say something he disagrees with he nearly has a stroke on air. Or maybe that is all just theater...who knows? But Al Eishback (sp?) is much more entertaining in my opinion, even if he is a Giants fan.

But neither Al or Jim are the morning guys. The morning guys/gals are awful. If they played Mike & Mike i would probably listen to it to get their professional insight on NFL and NCAA. But i dont need to hear highlights from yesterdays worthless show or what so and so had for dinner last night.

Anyway, cheers

Quote:
    Radio Host: Let's go to Jack, in Oklahoma City. What's on your mind Jack?

Caller: Hey, am I on?
    (Duh)

Radio Host: You're on the Sports Animal, go ahead please.

Caller:Cool. Hey, what are your thoughts on the Sooners this year?
    (I'm incapable of formulating my own opinion and desperately need to hear what you think.)

Radio Host: Well, I think they're going to be good this year...

Caller: Oh, okay. Thanks for taking my call.

Radio Host: Okay, now we have Michael on the line, from Moore. What's up, Michael?

Caller: Not much...big fan of your show Trabe.
    (slurp)

Radio Host: Thank you Michael, I gotta give it up to myself...big leagues...doggonit.

Caller: Hey, what do you think about Stoops' pay increase?
    (I don't have enough firing synapses in my brain to power a lightning bug's badunkadunk, let alone concoct my own opinion.)

Radio Host: Well, I think...

Caller: Okay, thanks...
    (...for telling me what to think.)

my bad, i wasnt trying to upset you. I just re-read your post and i still get the impression that you are saying the show sucks because either the callers "suck so badly at life" or the listeners who never bother to call in perhaps? Which is why we have such bad callers....because most would just rather listen to the idiots that do call in rather than waste our time to dial and start an intelligent dialogue?

Maybe i don't get what you are saying....but no i didn't mean to come off as rude, sorry if i did.

I still think the big problem is with the hosts or DJs. The morning show is unlistenable...with or without callers. The afternoon guys are only marginally better. Jim Traber gets on my nerves, i don't care that he was an average baseball player and that he is a big Republican. Im sure he is a decent enough guy, but i hate hearing him talk about the Dallas Cowboys and Pittsburg Steelers. Furthermore, if anyone dare call in and say something he disagrees with he nearly has a stroke on air. Or maybe that is all just theater...who knows? But Al Eishback (sp?) is much more entertaining in my opinion, even if he is a Giants fan.

But neither Al or Jim are the morning guys. The morning guys/gals are awful. If they played Mike & Mike i would probably listen to it to get their professional insight on NFL and NCAA. But i dont need to hear highlights from yesterdays worthless show or what so and so had for dinner last night.

Anyway, cheers
    Everything is okay, Strat. I was neither upset or offended by your response. I was only rejecting a possible misinterpretation of my position. I can accept if someone disagrees, but I cannot welcome a response that is inherently misguided. With me, nothing is personal on these boards, so long as the arguments (not the arguer) are addressed.

Anyways, I suppose I could elaborate on my original response. I do not believe the callers are the reason why the show sucks; they are simply a manifestation of the listening audience, who, by the inability to think for themselves, welcome the Sports Animal mediocrity with open arms.

The people of Oklahoma City seem to thrive on the antics of the Morning Animal, "The Ultimate", and Al Eschbach, much like the midday folks who support Maury and Jerry Springer. Those guys are sustained by the sponsors, who are simply trying to appeal to the audience that can't get enough 'Yuz da daddy'-type entertainment.

The Sports Animal listeners seem content with endless speculation and over-hyped drama regarding recruiting and anything OU, so the station all too happy to stick with these loudmouth warts who can't convey a rational thought.

The issue isn't the callers -- it is the listening audience. By demonstrating their inability to forge their own opinion, my post was just a lackluster attempt to illustrate how stupid some of these people really are. Give the show a second listen to notice exactly what I'm writing about. You might never think of the callers, or the hosts, in the same light again.

Everything is okay, Strat. I was neither upset or offended by your response. I was only rejecting a possible misinterpretation of my position. I can accept if someone disagrees, but I cannot welcome a response that is inherently misguided. With me, nothing is personal on these boards, so long as the arguments (not the arguer) are addressed.

Anyways, I suppose I could elaborate on my original response. I do not believe the callers are the reason why the show sucks; they are simply a manifestation of the listening audience, who, by the inability to think for themselves, welcome the Sports Animal mediocrity with open arms.

The people of Oklahoma City seem to thrive on the antics of the Morning Animal, "The Ultimate", and Al Eschbach, much like the midday folks who support Maury and Jerry Springer. Those guys are sustained by the sponsors, who are simply trying to appeal to the audience that can't get enough 'Yuz da daddy'-type entertainment.

The Sports Animal listeners seem content with endless speculation and over-hyped drama regarding recruiting and anything OU, so the station all too happy to stick with these loudmouth warts who can't convey a rational thought.

The issue isn't the callers -- it is the listening audience. By demonstrating their inability to forge their own opinion, my post was just a lackluster attempt to illustrate how stupid some of these people really are. Give the show a second listen to notice exactly what I'm writing about. You might never think of the callers, or the hosts, in the same light again.
    Glad we're cool.

I see what you are saying, yes i suppose we get what we deserve. Though i do stand by my comment about people who call in and disagree with Traber, if they call him out on something, he has a total fit and shouts them down so they never really get their point across. However, i also have people who tell me that the station has certain people who call in just to stir the pot, half the time they are friends of the hosts. I don't even know if that is true or not, but it would explain a lot.

I typically listen to the afternoon show on my way home from work during football season only.....and of course i will listen to it before and after a game if im around a radio. Anyway its all i can take. It would be nice if they had some decent competition though.

Jim Traber gets on my nerves, i don't care that he was an average baseball player and that he is a big Republican. Im sure he is a decent enough guy, but i hate hearing him talk about the Dallas Cowboys and Pittsburg Steelers. Furthermore, if anyone dare call in and say something he disagrees with he nearly has a stroke on air.

I completely agree. I can not believe how little he knows about sports. Other than remembering every day he spent with Cal Ripken, or telling how a kid to break in a baseball glove that is. Its like he doesnt even read espn.com or cnnsi.com or anything. If he didnt have the USA today in front of him he would really know nothing. How many times have you heard: Gideon, Gideon look that up; oh whats his name, oh gosh, come on al you know, oh whats his name, oh dang how could i forget this. A week or so ago I was listening and got so irritated. Traber was talking about James Harden and he didnt know anything about him at all. He was talking about his lack of defense. He had no idea Harden led the pac10 in steals, probably still doesnt. Like you said, if you argue with him look out. He is so close minded and doesnt even listen to another persons point of view. The only time I like to listen is when Gottleib comes back on and basically waxes the floor with all of them.

16. Default Re: Morning Animals

It's not the Pittsburgh Steelers, it's "MY STEELMEN". Also I love the way Traber has to announce "IN MY OPINION" as if it may be misconstrued as someone elses opinion. And he is incapable of talking in a normal voice, he can only scream.

By the way, I quit listening to the Sports Animal at least 8 years ago or more. So those statements were based on things he was doing 8 years ago. I will bet money it still holds true today.

Don't you agree with me?....

I guess I'm a weirdo, because I enjoy listening to the Animal, primarily because I don't take it very seriously. Its all entertainment, and if you start to take it seriously, like anything about sports really matters in the real world, well, that's when the problem starts. I don't get into much pop music, and generally loathe country music, so some conversation - even a little banal at times, doesn't bother me...

It never ceases to surprise me how many people who loathe the Animal seem to know so much about what goes on there....

As for their being OU obsessed, it surely seemed they took their role as flagship for the Thunder seriously....

Traber and Eschbach "discuss" Steve McNair, and his untimely passing (courtesy The Lost Ogle):

20. Default Re: Morning Animals

Traber talking all that marriage talk is some funny sh!t...

My favorite part is being able to hear Traber breath and snort into the microphone during his show. The Sports Animal is 100% responsible for me buying a XM Sirius subscription.

I haven't listened to the Sports Animal in a long time, I feel like it makes me stupid listening to those guys?

I'll have to listen to the Thunder activities once the season starts, that's when I hear the Morning Animals' promos - never come close to making me laugh.

And what about Steely's Uncle - or whatever that impression is, TERRIBLE!

22. Default Re: Morning Animals

Don't worry dave, I listen to them all the time. Well by all the time I mean volume two while I am in the office. But honestly I think what makes it horrible sometimes is the horrible calls that come in and I can't blame the hosts for calling out people. It's all fun but when you start to take it seriously that's when I can see someone not liking it. One thing that grinds my gears is all the commercial breaks. I understand they bring in revenue but holy crap.

Also, if you don't like it, change the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    Don't worry dave, I listen to them all the time. Well by all the time I mean volume two while I am in the office. But honestly I think what makes it horrible sometimes is the horrible calls that come in and I can't blame the hosts for calling out people. It's all fun but when you start to take it seriously that's when I can see someone not liking it. One thing that grinds my gears is all the commercial breaks. I understand they bring in revenue but holy crap.

Also, if you don't like it, change the dial.
    Exactly my thought! That's why I've never understood the venom about the Animal. I mean, if someone doesn't like it, that's great, makes absolutely no diff to me. Heck, they had Berry Tramel (sp) substituting for Bob Barry Jr yesterday, and I don't care for what he had to talk about, so I just turned on an album on my MP3 player But it didn't get me into a froth sufficient to head to a board and post "Man, the animal SUCKS..."

FWIW, having browsed a few other boards (sports mostly), I've found that most people that post about their local sports radio don't like it, and for much the same reasons, didn't like hosts, too many commercials, dumb radio gags, whatever. So I guess OKC isn't unique....

Oh, well, different strokes for different strokes....just nothing worth getting upset over.

Thread Information