Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek

1. Default Star Trek

saw it yesterday and it is friggn awesome. forget the the past 4 star trek movies and the last crap of a tv show. this for sure breathes new life into the icon. A+ must see!

2. Default Re: Star Trek

I'll wait for it to come out on DVD.

3. Default Re: Star Trek

I agree it was great. I went this afternoon and I rarely pay full price to see a movie in the theater. The characters were great, the pace was very fast, nice twist to the plot/canon, great music. Well worth the seven bucks. I might even pay to see it again and I haven't done that for years. I hope it is the kick-off of a new series in the "new" Star Trek alternative universe.

4. Default Re: Star Trek

Quote Originally Posted by jpeaceokc View Post
    I agree it was great. I went this afternoon and I rarely pay full price to see a movie in the theater. The characters were great, the pace was very fast, nice twist to the plot/canon, great music. Well worth the seven bucks. I might even pay to see it again and I haven't done that for years. I hope it is the kick-off of a new series in the "new" Star Trek alternative universe.
    alternative universe it is.
    this was the first time i went to the warren and the first time i ever paid 18 bucks to see a movie, but it was so cool. oh, it does seem to be kicking off a new series since theyve already green lighted the next film.

5. Default Re: Star Trek

I'm not even a trekkie but I'm going on Sunday morning ( Mother's Day) with the kids to see it.... I heard it was amazing.

And some movies just aren't the same on DVD.... especially action ones.. add the huge screen.. digital Dolby sound.. worth every penny.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Default Re: Star Trek

oh wow. nerdy mothers' day or nerdiest mothers' day ever! :P

didn't get to catch it with friends last night, but everyone i've talked to say it's great. can't wait to see it.

-M

7. Default Re: Star Trek

I went on Friday at 10:10am at Quail Springs, just cost 5 dollars! I felt like they were giving the tickets away! The theater was surprising busy for such an early showing, but it was not crowded enough to be obnoxious, and all the older Trek fans know how to mind their manners. After all, this is a Star Trek movie and it's very sacred. Anyone caught making noise would have probably been beaten to death.

They were running 4 theaters, so it's clear they expect a big turnout.

And yes, I really enjoyed the movie, everything except the very exaggerated accents. It was hard to pick out some of the lines. Still, a great cast, tons of action, and some touching scenes.

8. Default Re: Star Trek

Yep that is where I'll be on Sunday morning .. should be nice and quiet .. every Fri, Sat and Sun before noon only Five bucks.. a steal... and because we go so much we use our Movie Rewards cards.. last two times I got a Free Large Popcorn and Large Drink ( free refills ) for Free! woot.

9. Default Re: Star Trek

Quote Originally Posted by Karried View Post
    Yep that is where I'll be on Sunday morning .. should be nice and quiet .. every Fri, Sat and Sun before noon only Five bucks.. a steal... and because we go so much we use our Movie Rewards cards.. last two times I got a Free Large Popcorn and Large Drink ( free refills ) for Free! woot.
    Cool! I hadn't gone to a movie in a year, and I didn't know they started opening so early. That changes my movie-going equation, and I hope to see some more great sci-fi this summer. I saw three movies on preview that look fantastic.

10. Default Re: Star Trek

Warren is sold out in the balcony until the last Sunday shows, so have to wait a few extra days. Unfortunately they pull it out of the big theaters on Thursday for Terminator and Angels and Demons. They need to hurry up with that expansion. Lol

11. Default Re: Star Trek

oh yeah! Terminator! Can't wait for that one either.

12. Default Re: Star Trek

A new Terminator movie? I luv the TV series. I lost track of it, but one day, I'll rewatch them all from start to end.

Anyone know when the new Star Trek gonna be on DVD?!

I'm pretty sure it's online already, but if someone catches one with CC or ST, post here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thunder
    i'm pretty sure it's online already, but if someone catches one with cc or st, post here!!!
    uhhh, thunder... okctalk isn't going to host or link to pirated material. ever. -M

14. Default Re: Star Trek

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    uhhh, thunder... okctalk isn't going to host or link to pirated material. ever. -M
    Forget I asked. I'll wait for the DVD. I'm one of those hardcore Trekkie fans.

I still want a Voyager movie!!!

15. Default Re: Star Trek

Quote Originally Posted by Karried View Post
    I'm not even a trekkie but I'm going on Sunday morning
    karried, they definitely had non trekkies in mind when they did this.

16. Default Re: Star Trek

Quote Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
    karried, they definitely had non trekkies in mind when they did this.
    Being a trekkie from the very beginning of the series, I don't really know what it would feel like to watch this movie totally from scratch. I get the feeling you'd miss a ton of the nuance and sentimentality.

I think this movie relies heavily on prior Star Trek familiarity, which is not a criticism at all. I think it helps make it better.

If you weren't familiar with the characters, some of the accents are really gonna get on your nerves, because they got on mine and I knew where they were coming from!

Thumbs up Re: Star Trek

Quote Originally Posted by drumsncode View Post

I think this movie relies heavily on prior Star Trek familiarity, which is not a criticism at all. I think it helps make it better.
    I don't think it relies heavily on prior familiarity. I think it just uses some key items from each character (accents, behavior, catchphrases) that long time fans know, while introducing it to the newbie! I thought this movie was just what the franchise needed and hopefully, will bring the younger generation into the Star Trek fanbase. My theater at the Warren was full, and there was clapping at the end. Great movie!!

> ome of the accents are really gonna get on your nerves

Nah, just dial two clicks left on the universal translator and then everyone sounds like they
    grew up in your home town. If your translator is on the fritz, knock back a few shots right before you go into the theater ... same difference.

I've got a new favorite movie of all time. I'll be going back to see it several more times before it gets off the big screen, and then adding it to my home DVD collection when it comes out.

10 out of 10 in my book. Totally awesome!

I'm not all that interested in seeing it, but if I was, I'd definitely do it at the Warren, in the balcony - get the full effect. Waiting for DVD means you miss the big screen special effects, although I can see why you would want to do so, Thunder.

I'm watching a documentary on the History Channel right now about how Star Trek has influenced modern life. William Shatner is narrating, of course. Medical devices, cell phones, NASA, the list goes on and on. And the narrator in question is making this documentary a lot more entertaining than usual.

I loved the movie. There was something really cool and hip about the very first TV series for its time that somehow got lost with most of the stuff that came after it. This new movie manages to bring all of that back. It's just flat-out a good movie. My thought leaving the theater was that I must be living in some kind of weird alternative reality now where Star Wars has crashed and burned with its prequels and Star Trek is now super cool.

The guy who plays Scotty is actually from the UK, and I was reading that the kid who plays Chekov is the son of two famous Russian figure skaters (but does speak perfect English). Their accents were thick but I'm guessing pretty realistic.

23. Default Re: Star Trek

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    The guy who plays Scotty is actually from the UK, and I was reading that the kid who plays Chekov is the son of two famous Russian figure skaters (but does speak perfect English). Their accents were thick but I'm guessing pretty realistic.
    Yeah, for my ears, I think that was the problem, their accents are totally genuine, which was way overkill for my tired, rotted-out old ears. I've sustained too much phaser fire in my ears over the years to have full intelligibility in my hearing.

It's one of those movies that has so much nuance that it will be worth buying on DVD someday, just to pick up every line. There's a LOT going on in this movie! My friend wrote me about it, and he had missed things I didn't catch either, but evidently there is a lot in there in each scene.

Someone commented about Star Wars versus Star Trek. For a loyal Trek fan, there's never really been any comparison for me. For me, you outgrow Star Wars pretty quickly, while Star Trek stays with you for a lifetime.

A million geeks grew up on Star Trek, and it's how we live, it's how we think, it's how we solve problems. For computer programmers, it's how we learned to beat the Kobayashi Maru when confronted with insanely difficult computer problems.

> while Star Trek stays with you for a lifetime.

I have no unis, no collectables, no ticket stubs, never been to a single con, no digits, no signoffs, but I drank the kool-aid in big gulps and went back for a few extra gallon jugs over the last few decades.

Save for the last series, and I never did figure out why I just dinna care for it. I like Scott B elsewhere, but I never acquired any attachment for his version of ST, and not even the otherwise lovely vulcan could beam me on board that show's fan base.

25. Default Re: Star Trek

I stopped watching all the new stuff after Jeri Ryan was gone. After seeing her, there is no substitute! ;-) They should have just spawned a series around her! Her warp goes to 11.

Thread Information