Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PC West & North New Stadiums

Far West PC West & North New Stadiums

According to this article, Putnam City West and Putnam City North will each build a new stadium. Curious if any of you have more info. Renderings or the latest information. I live by PCW and am trying to picture how this will fit on the site. Thanks! http://newsok.com/article/5511360

Default Re: PC West & North New Stadiums

Why don't more district's use shared facilities? Seems ridiculous to build every school it's own stadium.

PC schools have always shared the stadium at Putnam City. In fact, until West opened in the late 60's, it was known as Pirate Stadium and it was then renamed to Putnam City Stadium to be inclusive.

It used to be that the schools needed that big stadium but now the crowds are only a few thousand on a good night, so the on-campus option is at least doable.

Edmond was renting from UCO so it makes some sense to build their own but I don't completely understand the logic with PC schools. I suppose it has something to do with trying to build more of a community at the school itself.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    Why don't more district's use shared facilities? Seems ridiculous to build every school it's own stadium.
    I'm with you. Would be nice to see these districts with multiple schools build a nice shared stadium.

The PC Stadium is *very* nice and always has been, but they've continued to upgrade and improve over the years.

It's almost certainly the nicest in all of OKC, including the newly renovated Taft.

I knew that PC schools shared the big PCO stadium, I'm just curious why in these struggling times financially with the schools this is wanted. I guess it's because I grew up in Texas where any district with multiple high schools shared a stadium.

Always largely been in the case in OKC as well until recently.

I guess one exception is that Midwest City, Del City and Carl Albert have always had their own stadiums but OKC (Taft and Speegle) PC, Edmond, Norman and Moore have always shared for football games.

Then if that's the case I seriously question why they feel the need now.

I'm kind of on the other side of the fence. I like each school having their own stadium, so it does enhance the community feel. It's hard to feel like you are at "home" when you have to go to your in town rivals campus to play ball in the case of schools like Moore and PC. Now if said stadium was in a neutral area center to all schools involved, that may be a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I'm kind of on the other side of the fence. I like each school having their own stadium, so it does enhance the community feel. It's hard to feel like you are at "home" when you have to go to your in town rivals campus to play ball in the case of schools like Moore and PC. Now if said stadium was in a neutral area center to all schools involved, that may be a little better.
    I was more referring to neutral sites

Having gone to PC, I can tell you it really, really sucks to sit on the away side of your own stadium.

That happens every other year in the PC / PC West / PC North games.

Just seems like frivolous spending on sports to me. One stadium has worked for decades and all of the sudden they feel like each school campus needs its own stadium? There is like two or three football games per year when your playing against district rivals and having to take turns sharing the home side.

^

I don't disagree and find it strange that all the sudden this is a priority, especially since that district is no longer swimming with money.

West has been playing there since 1968 and North since 1978.

I was more referring to neutral sites
    I understand, but the examples of Norman, Moore, and PCO all have the stadiums on their campus while their cross town rivals play there. I've been to the Moore/Westmoore games and I can promise you that even though Westmoore sits on the home side every other year, it's just not the same as if they had an actual home stadium. I feel bad for schools like them. It's like their football is homeless. They don't get the feel to have locker rooms that are truly theirs. I know it may not always financial sense, but football is one of the biggest most attended sports and I think they should have a home field like every other sport at the school. I know of Moore wanted to pass a bond issue so Westmoore and Southmoore could have a stadium on their own campus, I'd vote for it and I think a lot of others would too. I know both schools have "mini" stadiums where they do track and practice that could easily be upgraded to accommodate without being overly expensive to tax payers.

But instead of spending money to build two or three stadiums why not build one neutral site that fits the needs of all?

But instead of spending money to build two or three stadiums why not build one neutral site that fits the needs of all?
    Maybe you are missing the point.

In the example of Moore, they already have a very nice stadium on campus. Westmoore and Southmoore have nice tracks and practice field with bleachers, that could easily be upgrade to really nice stadiums with minimal investment. I imagine it would be a lot pricier to build a big neutral stadium than upgrade existing facilities on campus, which would result in better atmospheres IMO. Now if no one had anything then yes a big one in 'neutral' area center to all would most likely be the best bet. Westmoore and Southmoore already use these fields for Junior High games at times, track meets etc, so most of the infrastructure is already there. I can't speak for the other schools, but I imagine they aren't too far off.

It's really pretty simple. 3 high schools sharing one stadium is a scheduling nightmare. Freshman, JV and varsity games for multiple schools. Not to mention girls and boys soccer and track in the spring. Plus, the middle schools that feed those schools will also utilize the facility.

Just forget it. If you haven't lived in Texas and seen what I am talking about it won't make sense. The HS still has a small stadium with a track for sub varsity events and track.

Being a John Marshall grad, I thought it was a long commute to Taft Stadium, with parking being at NW Classen it just felt like it was their stadium.

I am hoping they get a new stadium built by Lake Hefner, but just seems seems a little late now that they have a much lower student count.

Just forget it. If you haven't lived in Texas and seen what I am talking about it won't make sense. The HS still has a small stadium with a track for sub varsity events and track.
    I know exactly what you are talking about, I've seen exactly what you are talking about, I can just tell you don't understand what's existing. So I will forget it.

21. Default Re: PC West & North New Stadiums

I get it. Having been a cyclist and done the Hotter N Hell during the years it started and ended at the high school stadium in Wichita Falls I can see how one college level stadium shared between multiple high schools is a good thing. That stadium is amazing. Scheduling would have to be worked out but high schools playing in a college level stadium every week would be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    I get it. Having been a cyclist and done the Hotter N Hell during the years it started and ended at the high school stadium in Wichita Falls I can see how one college level stadium shared between multiple high schools is a good thing. That stadium is amazing. Scheduling would have to be worked out but high schools playing in a college level stadium every week would be worth it.
    The school districts don't get to play at those college stadiums for free. They have to lease them and in the long run having their own facilities is financially smarter.

I bet scheduling is the biggest factor, tsou89 is correct. All those levels then soccer and T&F events. I'm a Norman High graduate. We've shared the stadium with Norman North since the schools split in 1999. Although, North has their own soccer and track at their high school.

I think scheduling was more of an issue before all 3 PC schools put in synthetic turf.

Now, they can play as many games as they want and not worry about the field getting worn out.

I don't understand why after all this time this suddenly is a priority for the district. All 3 schools have been using that stadium for almost 40 years now and North and West each have their own synthetic fields and tracks, so really they all just play 1 football game a week there for 10 weeks out of the year. The necessitates one Thursday game a week... Is that such a big deal?

I don't think the middle schools are using that stadium at all any more.

I'm sure there are reasons for this, I just can't figure out what they are.

It's all for community/school pride, duh Pete. We care more about making sure Billy Quarterback and Bobby Linebacker have a true "home field" than we do making sure they can add properly before graduating.

Thread Information