Widgets Magazine

Thread: Anyone remember the Haunted Schoolhouse somewhere south of Del City/Midwest City?

Default Anyone remember the Haunted Schoolhouse somewhere south of Del City/Midwest City?

Hi there...

I was a teen at Tinker and went to Del City High 1971-72. I remember taking drives to a "haunted schoolhouse" somewhere south of Del City. It was called Grotts Schoolhouse...or something like that. I remember there being a sign on the front of the building saying something like Grotts Schoolhouse 192?-193?....spooky as all get out in the midnight darkness!!!! I vaguely recall stories of children somehow dying in accidents there....but who knows? There used to be stories of this place in the local paper back then...but I can't find one bit of evidence that it ever existed now. Anyone ever hear of this at all???

Thanks..Dennis

Default Re: Anyone remember the Haunted Schoolhouse somewhere south of Del City/Midwest City?

I grew up in MWC at the same time. I always heard the same stories and we drove out to it several times. The one we found was a small white schoolhouse and I think it's the same one you describe. I thought it was on sooner rd. the story I always heard was that they died due to a gas leak. It was spooky at night for sure. Later I remember there being a sign at it saying something about it being a sewing club but it still looked deserted.

Default Re: Anyone remember the Haunted Schoolhouse somewhere south of Del City/Midwest City?

The schoolhouse you are talking about was the old Grotts school, which was located at 12th (Sooner road) and Franklin in the North of Norman. I've tried to track down the history of the place and have never found anything supernatural or hideous happened there. Not really sure when they tore it down either, but I suspect it was in the early 80's. IIRC, the old storm celler is still located there.

Grotts school was located on the South East Corner of the intersection. Back in the 70's, Sooner was still a two lane road, and the trees were huge and extended over the roadway near the creek and where the building was located. Needless to say, that gave it a really surreal quality. I did venture inside one night, and will admit, it was a bit "spooky" but no strange happenings that night. . .

Regards,
    Wesley H.

Thread Information