Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 816 N. Walker

Midtown 816 N. Walker

816 N. Walker
    |status=renovated in 2014
    |owner=Studio Architecture
    |sq. feet=6,600

Information & Latest News

New home to Studio Architecture (5,014 sq. f.t) and Nault Gallery (1,550 sq. ft.)
    8/23/13: $250K building permit for Studio Architecture
    8/8/13: $200K building permit for Nault Gallery
    6/19/13: $146K building permit

Links

County Assessor Record

Gallery

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	816_N_Walker_Listing1.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	5779   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	816nwalker6.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	5780   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	816walker.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	5781   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	816walker1.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	5782   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	816walker2.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	5783   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	816walker3.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	5784   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	816walker4.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	5785   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	816walker5.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	5786  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13006ELEV-A21_zps22071880.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	5787   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	priceandson.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	5788   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	816nwalker021514.jpg 
Views:	1266 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	6676   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	816nwalker020814.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	6689   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	816nwalker022814.jpg 
Views:	1728 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	6865   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	816a.jpg 
Views:	1239 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	7574   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	816b.jpg 
Views:	1242 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	7575   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	816c.jpg 
Views:	1253 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	7576  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	816d.jpg 
Views:	1274 
Size:	159.6 KB 
ID:	7577   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	816e.jpg 
Views:	1237 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	7578  

Default Re: 816 N. Walker

Darn I was hoping for something cooler there, but at least it has tenants now. It's been empty for years.

There is also one small retail bay for rent.

Blog Entries

Have also been hoping for something cooler (and will continue to hope regarding the rental bay), but something, nearly anything, is better than nothing.

What specifically were you guys hoping for?

Went searching for some good photos of this building. Couldn't find any high quality images, but I did grab a couple from listings.

Found some even better ones in the Design Review Certificate of Approval:

Which is also a good source of other info, such as architectural drawings.

Source: http://www.okc.gov/planning/planning...A-13-00056.pdf

7. Default Re: 816 N. Walker

Has anyone actually BEEN to Brian Nault's gallery? The one he's leaving was across Walker from McNellie's (next to the old Studio). WAY cool. This is a great fit. Also frees up the old space for something else, if you're not into art galleries and cool architectural firms.

There just are not many existing available buildings left in Midtown. I get asked by clients occasionally if I know of any empty office space to buy in Midtown. At this time there are two clients who most people would find "disappointing" looking for office space in the area. I would love to have more retail around my office at 9th and Robinson but I love to see other workers coming in to spend money and encourage other retail besides restaurants. Just today I needed to get a birthday card for my dad and ended up driving out of Midtown to do it. I would love to walk at my lunch hour to shop since I usually only shop on an as needed basis.

On a slightly unrelated note, the parking lot to the south of the old car lot at 10th and Harvey is being ripped up. Those junky cars sat there forever and all of a sudden the cars are gone and the parking lot is being ripped up. Looks like something will be there soon.

I like this and think its an excellent fit. Studios and art galleries are establishments that make a vibrant urban district just as much as bars and restaurants do.

10. Default Re: 816 N. Walker

The reaction in this thread bewilders me too. What's wrong with Studio Architecture?

I am weary of how it seems everyone wants a 40 story skyscraper on every site or no deal

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    The reaction in this thread bewilders me too. What's wrong with Studio Architecture?

I am weary of how it seems everyone wants a 40 story skyscraper on every site or no deal
    I don't want a 40 story skyscraper there, It's just a big open building with a lot of street frontage and I would've preferred to see some retail or a restaurant/bar in most of it. If I remember correctly, Studio Architecture was on the first floor of one of the buildings on the walker traffic circle and it always seemed like a dead space in that area. The gallery is better, but still. I don't have a huge problem with any of it, but for such a cool building with so much street frontage I would like to see some thing more open to the public.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    What specifically were you guys hoping for?
    Just something I can go into and interact with (which may happen with the retail space, and sounds like might happen with the main space too), vs it remaining a building I just walk or drive by and look at. My hopes were not particularly high or specific. Sounds like I might be pleasantly surprised, which is great.

I always thought this location would be perfect for a Midtown small fresh market akin to Native Roots, but anything in this space will be better than how it's been for an eternity. I'm glad to hear it's being put to use!

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Just something I can go into and interact with (which may happen with the retail space, and sounds like might happen with the main space too), vs it remaining a building I just walk or drive by and look at. My hopes were not particularly high or specific. Sounds like I might be pleasantly surprised, which is great.
    Makes total sense.

The gallery should be cool, though, with a loft second level.

I have been to Brian Nault's gallery. He has framed several painting for us.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Agreed. As downtown and the urban core increase in density, I'd hope that most first floor development is active space, not passive. BUT, this does now open up a great first floor space at the roundabout up the street.

Blog Entries

I drove by this building today and they were going to town on it. I would have taken a picture but was caught off guard by the amount that had been done since I last drove by it so didn't have a camera ready...

18. Default Re: 816 N. Walker

This will be my firm's new studio. I'll post more a bit later and address some of the concerns voiced above.

I think it's great to have the building occupied, and why not an architectural firm and gallery?

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    I think it's great to have the building occupied, and why not an architectural firm and gallery?
    I was hoping for a McDonald's, but, oh well...

What is the history of this building? What was it originally?

Also, does anyone know why it has a two-tone look? That is, stone colored brick on the North and West sides, and orange brick on the South and East sides?

22. Default Re: 816 N. Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Praedura View Post
    What is the history of this building? What was it originally?

Also, does anyone know why it has a two-tone look? That is, stone colored brick on the North and West sides, and orange brick on the South and East sides?
    From 1904 until the current structure was built in 1925, two houses occupied the site. In the years since, the current structure has housed a grocery store, drug store, a restaurant or two and most recently an auto repair shop. Parts of the building have also been vacant for an extended period of time.

The different types of brick were likely a cost-saving measure utilized during construction of the original building. The nice (and likely more expensive) brick is on the facades that face the public way (Walker & 8th). The sides of the building that faced the alley and adjoining properties are constructed of a cheaper brick that has since been painted an orange/red color.

When the current structure was first built, it was Price & Son grocery; this ad is from 1933:

Thanks for that graphic, Pete. That's cool.

"We deliver free of charge" ... wow

And check out the short phone number.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    From 1904 until the current structure was built in 1925, two houses occupied the site. In the years since, the current structure has housed a grocery store, drug store, a restaurant or two and most recently an auto repair shop. Parts of the building have also been vacant for an extended period of time.

The different types of brick were likely a cost-saving measure utilized during construction of the original building. The nice (and likely more expensive) brick is on the facades that face the public way (Walker & 8th). The sides of the building that faced the alley and adjoining properties are constructed of a cheaper brick that has since been painted an orange/red color.
    Thanks. That makes sense.

Well, the building certainly has led a full and colorful life. It may not be the most illustrious structure in the area, but it still has good bones. With a quality renovation, this could be really nice looking.

Thread Information