Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blockbuster Video

Default Blockbuster Video

Knew this day would come. Kinda sad to see these closing, spent lots of money there as a kid renting 8 bit Nintendo games there. Any of them staying open? I don't seem to see any news on them.

Default Re: Blockbuster Video

Blockbuster is closing nearly 1000 stores.

Blockbuster to close as many as 960 stores - Local business- msnbc.com

We have started using their kiosks since they are closer to our house and more convenient (plus cheaper).

Their at home service went straight down the drain about a month ago. I cancelled finally after the round a bout with an online account rep. They "installed a new program" they said. Ha. Lie. They purposely were delaying time between deliveries of movies. I used to send in a movie on Monday, have a new one in my mail box by Wednesday. It started taking 7 to 10 days to get the next movie in my que. Nope. No thanks. Can't say I'm sorry they are closing.

Blockbuster should have beat Netflix to the game.

The Blockbuster on NW Expressway between Macarthur & Rockwell has people out by the street with store closing sale signs.

Hard to compete against Netflix, Redbox, and PPV.

The blockbuster on memorial and penn is closing.They are having a closing sale.

Free markets work. Imagine if we had movie rental reform...

9. Default Re: Blockbuster Video

The Blockbuster at 44th and Penn is closing too. That location has been there FOREVER.

Not sure how movie rentals have anything to do with health care reform. . . Lets not politicize trivial things like this.

Drove by the one on May south of 36th and saw the same signs today.

12. Default Re: Blockbuster Video

Out of the 3 in Norman, only the store near downtown on Main is closing. West and East side stores are staying open. Talked to an employee there today, the East side store is actually their busiest location in their entire district (not sure what the boundary is) even though it is one of the smallest. They have no intentions on closing those two stores as they are profitable and employees (at from Central Norman) are being relocated to them.

It kind of looks as if they are closing all of the leased locations. So far I have not seen any of the freestanding stores closing. I give it another 5 years and movie rental stores will be a thing of the past. I noticed the I-Tunes library is growing by leaps and bounds daily. Sooner or later we will all get are media online or through a download kiosk will have a connection for thumbdrive, Ipod or other portable player. New release theater movies will be probably be available 30-90 days after the theater release based on the popularity and ticket sales.

Just as an FYI for those of you that use the Blockbuster Express locations, if you enter your email address when prompted during checkout and select yes to receive special offers, you will get an email a week that contains a free rental code good for the week. They also send out another free code about once a month that is usually good for about 3 to 4 weeks.

15. Default Re: Blockbuster Video

Just noticed the Blockbuster near me at SE 44 and Sunnylane is closing. Another one bites the dust.

Anyone know what happens to the ones attached to McDonalds? What do they turn those into?

Blockbuster pissed off their customer base with silly late fees and as soon as there was a better choice -- Netflix -- people were happy to shift their business even after Blockbuster offered a similar option.

Similar to the way many people gladly changed to DirecTV (and now broadband systems) after getting lousy customer service from their cable company over the years.

17. Default Re: Blockbuster Video

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Blockbuster pissed off their customer base with silly late fees and as soon as there was a better choice -- Netflix -- people were happy to shift their business even after Blockbuster offered a similar option.

Similar to the way many people gladly changed to DirecTV (and now broadband systems) after getting lousy customer service from their cable company over the years.
    You got that right. Also, Redbox now rents far more DVDs than Blockbuster. In fact, who or why would anybody mess with Blockbuster for new releases? Oh, and check this out from the Redbox blog:
    http://www.insideredbox.com/sony-joi...buster-pay-up/

Blockbuster's days are numbered.

18. Default Re: Blockbuster Video

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post

That and, for a long time, a video at Block Buster was around $4 while one block down a Red Box would rent it to you for $.99.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Blockbuster should have beat Netflix to the game.
    Just like many businesses have failed to get into the areas they should have, trying to protect their established source of profits.

20. Default Re: Blockbuster Video

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    You got that right. Also, Redbox now rents far more DVDs than Blockbuster. In fact, who or why would anybody mess with Blockbuster for new releases? Oh, and check this out from the Redbox blog:
    http://www.insideredbox.com/sony-joi...buster-pay-up/

Blockbuster's days are numbered.
    People should not be supporting RedBox. They are a very shady business, seriously. You want to know why the DVDs are so cheap to rent? They have DVDs specially made for them without the extra costs to add in the CC. Every time I try to rent movies from them, there is no CC. So, like I said, do not support them.

Brian, I was living in the area for a while. And I went to that Blockbuster for so many years growing up. Amazing how we live within 2 to 3 miles apart. :-O

Once again, do not support RedBox for cutting costs to deliver you cheap rental. They think its logical to exempt the deaf to service the hearing. I just wonder when a huge class action lawsuit will be filed against them.

21. Default Re: Blockbuster Video

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    People should not be supporting RedBox. They are a very shady business, seriously. You want to know why the DVDs are so cheap to rent? They have DVDs specially made for them without the extra costs to add in the CC. Every time I try to rent movies from them, there is no CC. So, like I said, do not support them.

Brian, I was living in the area for a while. And I went to that Blockbuster for so many years growing up. Amazing how we live within 2 to 3 miles apart. :-O

Once again, do not support RedBox for cutting costs to deliver you cheap rental. They think its logical to exempt the deaf to service the hearing. I just wonder when a huge class action lawsuit will be filed against them.
    Thunder, It's not Redbox. It's the studios. With certain titles, they sell a basic gray disc to Netflix and Redbox. They've both complained. Google it.

22. Default Re: Blockbuster Video

Then those studios are gonna get into big trouble. Paramount got into serious trouble with the lawsuit slammed against them for misleading people by labeling subtitle as CC. I don't think Paramount really did learn... Other studios, shame on them for playing the risk game.

23. Default Re: Blockbuster Video

Then those studios are gonna get into big trouble. Paramount got into serious trouble with the lawsuit slammed against them for misleading people by labeling subtitle as CC. I don't think Paramount really did learn... Other studios, shame on them for playing the risk game.
    I agree with you, Thunder; it's wrong.

With the demise of Blockbuster, Hollywood, and Movie Gallery, why are the Family Video Stores popping up all over the place? I have never been in one. What are they doing that is different? Why are they growing when the rest of the stores in its industry are going down the tubes?

Bigray in Ok

Given how few people use that why would that make them a terrible company, many complain about the phone company or others when they bundle in things to charge you more. As long as they are up front about it, it is at worst bad PR for not making them available to the minority of people that do need or want them. It is not like the case in the government or companies that receive public funding that have to adherer to 508 compliance.

Thread Information