Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Denny's

Large Chain Denny's

Just noticed this morning, sure didn't take long, was only open for about a year and a half

Default Re: Denny's on May closed

Is that the one by Quail?

Wow, that's sad...

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    Is that the one by Quail?
    Yes

Wow, indeed. Didn't the one just south of 63rd on May also close recently ?

6. Default Re: Denny's on May closed

Sorry to hear that they closed. I think they built too far north. We used to go up there from time to time.

7. Default Re: Denny's on May closed

It was my favorite place to meet sources because I could always count on the place being empty and no one seeing or hearing us talk!

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    Wow, indeed. Didn't the one just south of 63rd on May also close recently ?
    Recently, yes...if that is a couple of years. That spot has been a Chick Filet for a minute ;-)

IMHO, it's hard to believe any of them are still open. I've always viewed Denny's as somewhere to go only if everything else is closed.

No birthday dinner at Lenny's this year, huh?

They were crazy to think they could survive at the May and Memorial area. BETTER places have failed. Too much competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    It was my favorite place to meet sources because I could always count on the place being empty and no one seeing or hearing us talk!

Hysterical ... but a sad comment on the place all the same. I actually miss the Denny's that used to be in Norman, and knowing I wasn't going to fight a noisy crowd is part of the reason why.

Well, all the IHOPs in town (which is really Denny's serious competition), seem to be very successful. No one ever hears about any of them closing anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    Well, all the IHOPs in town (which is really Denny's serious competition), seem to be very successful. No one ever hears about any of them closing anywhere.
    Well Denny's on May was competing with IHOP and Jimmy's Egg, recipe for disaster.

Absolutely; and both IHOP and Jimmy's Egg tend to offer superior food of the same category. Same for Mimi's, as well.

Whoever works for Denny's to assemble a due diligence report as to the best location to build a new facility might need to find another line of work.

That Denny's was terrible. Slow service and bad food. Went there the first time, took 2 hours, and our order was wrong twice. Second time, the place had a raw sewage smell, and we couldn't go in. Had potential, but was poorly kept.

Dang . . . (yet another!) "Denny's" bites the dust . . .
    Double Dang

i have a fond memory
    of stopping by a Denny's
    over on 39th, nw
    in the temporal vicinity
    of Christmas Eve
    a few measly years ago
    on a cosmic scale
    after The Services
    at a local mega-church . . .
    on account of it,
    that is, Denny's,
    was the only place open
    for fast food
    (on christmas eve)

i recall eliciting
    an honest
    and sincere
    yet unexpected
    laugh from the
    owner/waiter/cousin/whatever
    when I ordered
    "Pigs in Blankets"
    off the menu

apparantly,
    he was a new owner
    or simply filling in
    for a related waiter
    who didn't show up
    on account of
    christmas

in any case
    he thought
    "Peegs Ahn Blankets" (?)
    was the funniest thing
    he had heard that day

his honest laugh at the thought
    makes me more sensitive
    to "others'" sense of humor

ps: i had to 'splain to heem whut
    peegs en blankets wuz. =)
    and by golly,
    they was good

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChris7 View Post
    That Denny's was terrible. Slow service and bad food. Went there the first time, took 2 hours, and our order was wrong twice. Second time, the place had a raw sewage smell, and we couldn't go in. Had potential, but was poorly kept.
    See that happen with older properties but as far as I know this was a new, built from scratch location.

On a side note: maybe one reason for their demise was it didn't look like the Dennys we are used to here...if it hadn't been for the sign...i had to do a double take the one time I drove by it.

Any chance that Jimmy's Egg moves into that space? I would think they could get in for cheap and have a nicer, and I'm asumming larger facility than where they're at. Also, parking for Jimmy's Egg is pretty tight. Just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    See that happen with older properties but as far as I know this was a new, built from scratch location.

On a side note: maybe one reason for their demise was it didn't look like the Dennys we are used to here...if it hadn't been for the sign...i had to do a double take the one time I drove by it.
    It was new, I just think it was poorly managed. It definitely had potential though. I always used to like Denny's food. Maybe it's not as good as it used to be. I liked the one on May and 63rd, and the one in Yukon when they were around.

I'm pretty much done with Denny's now, the few times I went to this one and the few times I have been to the one in Edmond, it's either slow staff, wrong order or both. I would rate breakfast places in this order: 1. Jimmy's Egg 2. Waffle House 3. cracker Barrel 4. IHOP 5. Denny's. I would LOVE to see OKC get a Bob Evans someday, they are owned by the same people that own Mimi's but Bob Evans is WAY better.

For me, Jimmy's Egg is the best breakfast place in town - although I will qualify that by saying the experience varies *greatly* with the location. I've frequented the I-240 and Walker location, and have rarely been disappointed with their Paradise Omelet. A friend of mine has reported less-than-stellar experiences with the Moore location, and I've had mixed/below-average results with the location in MWC - although its been quite some time since I've tried the one there - >= 1 year at least.

We liked IHOP until their prices just got too high for what they served, and we jumped to Jimmy's Egg. We go there maybe every six weeks, and even that may be generous. We've cut back on eating out in general to save money, so all those averages are dropping

Now, something I will say I noticed about Jimmy's Egg on I-240 - their idea of what constitutes two or three eggs is getting curious, as it seems my most recent omelet there, while still very tasty, had shrunk. They also changed their bread to what seemed like a fairly generic restaurant variety from what I think they previously made in-house, so it could be bits of cost cutting. Not sure.

I can't fathom a Denny's, even on its best day, competing with places like Jimmy's Egg. We've never tried Mimi's for breakfast, but sure enjoyed it as a dinner a couple of times....too far away for us to try very often...

Quote Originally Posted by GoOKC1991 View Post
    I'm pretty much done with Denny's now, the few times I went to this one and the few times I have been to the one in Edmond, it's either slow staff, wrong order or both. I would rate breakfast places in this order: 1. Jimmy's Egg 2. Waffle House 3. cracker Barrel 4. IHOP 5. Denny's. I would LOVE to see OKC get a Bob Evans someday, they are owned by the same people that own Mimi's but Bob Evans is WAY better.
    LOL
    Of the ones listed, i would put them in this order (quality of food)
    1. Cracker Barrel
    2. Dennys
    3. IHOP (used to be interchangeable w/Dennys but slipped since they recently switched to Pepsi products...Diet Pepsi in particular)
    99. Jimmys Egg (very bland)
    100. Waffle House (stereotypical greasy spoon)

Waffle House used to rank a lot higher for value for the money when they had the all-you-can-eat menu option a few years back, still a greasy spoon but it wasn't an over-priced one.

25. Default Re: Denny's on May closed

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    LOL
    Of the ones listed, i would put them in this order (quality of food)
    1. Cracker Barrel
    2. Dennys
    3. IHOP (used to be interchangeable w/Dennys but slipped since they recently switched to Pepsi products...Diet Pepsi in particular)
    99. Jimmys Egg (very bland)
    100. Waffle House (stereotypical greasy spoon)

Waffle House used to rank a lot higher for value for the money when they had the all-you-can-eat menu option a few years back, still a greasy spoon but it wasn't an over-priced one.
    A Cracker Barrel breakfast is like dying and going to breakfast heaven. I agree with your #1 rating.

Thread Information