Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maywood Park Owners Association

Deep Deuce Maywood Park Owners Association

The area this HOA is in charge of stretches from EK Gaylord to Walnut and 2nd to 4th Street. The HOA has just been turned over to the residents of this area - as the developers are no longer involved. There is new leadership - and we welcome suggestions from anyone. We are looking forward to making the neighbor one that we are all proud to live in.

Default Re: Maywood Park Owners Association

Just a quick note about issues we are discussing:

Landscaping in both North and South Parks
    Streetscapes
    Dog Park
    Issues with Graffiti
    Street Lights not installed or burnt out

3. Default Re: Maywood Park Owners Association

Lindsey - can you email me at slackmeyer@oklahoman.com? I'd like to arrange to visit with you.

Everyone should be happy to know that the "Walkway Fairy" made an appearance on the south end of the pocket park at 2nd and Oklahoma. We now have easy access over the tracks and down the hill to the parking lot.

Big thanks to whomever was responsible!

Quote Originally Posted by Soho View Post
    Everyone should be happy to know that the "Walkway Fairy" made an appearance on the south end of the pocket park at 2nd and Oklahoma. We now have easy access over the tracks and down the hill to the parking lot.

Big thanks to whomever was responsible!
    Pic?

I don't get why you would want to keep it on the DL; I thought urban living was about being inviting to all the public and not claiming public space as your own... you don't have to worry about me anyway, I'm 1000 miles away

Here's a photo of the improvised walkway, courtesy Catch22:

8. Default Re: Maywood Park Owners Association

Quote Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
    I don't get why you would want to keep it on the DL; I thought urban living was about being inviting to all the public and not claiming public space as your own... you don't have to worry about me anyway, I'm 1000 miles away
    If you don't keep quiet, either the Grinch or Jim Couch himself will come and take it out because it is not to code.

code? why would it have to be built to code? all i see is a wooden sculpture that happens to look like steps. ( : -M

10. Default Re: Maywood Park Owners Association

Looks like it meets all the ADA requirements to me!

Pretty cool if someone took personal time and resources to build that for everyone in Deep Deuce.

But I would personally never want to be responsible for that. If something were to happen - the liability issues could really come bite you back.

Yeah, not to mention, Union Pacific still owns those tracks and it's up to them to make them passable. If they're not going to then they're liable and they can afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Yeah, not to mention, Union Pacific still owns those tracks and it's up to them to make them passable. If they're not going to then they're liable and they can afford it.
    Actually, no. If UP owns the right-of-way, constructing anything on it or even walking across it is trespassing unless permission is granted by UP. They are not required to provide public access anymore than you are required to provide it through your yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Paseofreak View Post
    Actually, no. If UP owns the right-of-way, constructing anything on it or even walking across it is trespassing unless permission is granted by UP. They are not required to provide public access anymore than you are required to provide it through your yard.
    Okay, but either way, they still own the tracks. Sure they can be jackasses about it....

Hello All,

I'm happy to report that the turn over to the residents (from the developers) of the Maywood Park Owners Association consisting of EK Gaylord to Walnut and NE 2nd to NE 4th Streets is almost complete. And I am the new President. I plan to work closely with the new President of the Brownstones, the HOA at The Lofts and LEVEL. Among other things (like landscaping, irrigation system repair, trash collection) some of my big actions items this year are: (1) dog poop signs displaying the city ordinance and bags to pick up dog waste scattered around the neighborhood; (2) taking the fence down around the utility grade on 2nd street and putting in the sloped sidewalk to increase pedestrian friendliness (by the way - does anyone know a company that might want to bid for this project? I'm hoping you all might own or know of someone who also wants this done that wont be looking to turn a huge profit on it); (3) install trashcans on 2nd St in front of The Lofts; (4) get the City to re-install the missing light poles on 2nd Street; and (5) sharrow bike lane painted on the streets.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Does anyone know of any grants I could apply for to help pay for repairing the irrigation system in this neighborhood? How about to help with the cost of re-landscaping?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by lindsey View Post
    Does anyone know of any grants I could apply for to help pay for repairing the irrigation system in this neighborhood? How about to help with the cost of re-landscaping?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    There are grants available for beautifying common neighborhood spaces through the Oklahoma City Foundation and NACOK: Neighborhood Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    code? why would it have to be built to code? all i see is a wooden sculpture that happens to look like steps. ( : -M
    What's everyone talking about? What a hell of a new years present though - couldn't believe it the first time I got to use it. Does get slick when it rains/snows though so be careful - and thank you to the rogue individual(s) who is/are responsible!

Anyone in the neighborhood noticed the new dog waste stations going up? Since they are fairly new - be sure to point them out to neighbors with dogs so that we can get the dog poo problem under control!

I am very excited to announce that by mid-next week the neighborhood should see some real traction regarding landscaping on the streets. The park is anyone issue and will have to be dealt with separately BUT yay! the streetscapes should look great!

Also, we are in works with the city to get rid of that nasty utility fence and hope to have some traction on that by the end of this month. If not, may need people to sign a petition.

As for the missing light post on 2nd Street - working with the city of OG&E to find and locate them has been a nightmare...but I will NOT give up.

HangryHippo Guest

Lindsey, your tenacity is admirable. I'm looking forward to the changes. Thanks for your continued dedication and hard work!

What does the sign hanging from the elevated railroad say on 2nd? It was blowing in the wind when I went by it and I could not read it all.

I saw it start something like "STOP..."

It said "STOP TAR SANDS" and had dates for some protests of the Keystone XL pipeline.
    Ugly looking sign - hope it has or will come down soon...

We will get it down soon, I promise.

Has anyone noticed how much nicer the South pocket park (next to ALOFT) looks with just having the weeds and beds cleaned out?

Looks great, Lindsey! Thanks for all you do!

Thread Information