Widgets Magazine

Thread: Pet Peeve---side salad

Default Pet Peeve---side salad

Why do so many restaurants have a side salad that is dreadful? I am annoyed that it is such an afterthought. Not to mention I feel like I am getting ripped off. A side salad can be almost $4. Irmas, for example, I love the place, go there often, but thier side salad is horrible. Is it too much to ask for some carrots and croutons? Sadly, most places its just crappy lettuce in a bowl with dressing. Pearls and Iron Starr come to mind as having a good side salad, but why is a crappy side salad so easily served at otherwise good places?

Default Re: Pet Peeve---side salad

Probably because most of us Okies just get salads for the vat of ranch...lol

Hideaway also has an excellent side salad

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Hideaway also has an excellent side salad
    Ehh.. They could be better. Too watery..

4. Default Re: Pet Peeve---side salad

Yeah, a lot of restaurants do not know how to properly serve salads. Don's Alley for example in Del City, they bring out to mom a bowl of lettuce and cheese. That is it. Mom always have to ask for this and that. Many other places are the same way. Its such an insult when a place do add tomato, it is only one ball.

Fast food chains seem to do a superior job at serving salads.

That's why they are called a "side salad", if you one a salad with the "works", skip the entree' and order a chef salad.

A little carrots and croutons.lol I get angry when I order any kind of salad and it's nothing but iceburg lettuce. Use Romaine and some greens people, you are a restaurant for crying out loud. So, I always ask before ordering. It's amazing how many waiters/waitresses don't know the difference and have to go ask the kitchen. If you are putting people out there to sell your food, teach them a thing or two about food.

Crazy enough Chick Fil A has the best side salad for a fast food chain. Beats MANY full service restaurants.

Humble Pie side salad for $2.55. Best homemade dressing ever.

The main reason is that usually it's someone's job in the morning to make up a bunch of side salads. It's usually one task of many that they have to get through so they just slop them together and put them in the refrigerator where they'll often sit until way past when they should be thrown out. The trick is if you're ordering a side salad, make some odd requests that aren't on a normal salad so they have to go make yours fresh from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettmiester View Post
    A little carrots and croutons.lol I get angry when I order any kind of salad and it's nothing but iceburg lettuce. Use Romaine and some greens people, you are a restaurant for crying out loud. So, I always ask before ordering. It's amazing how many waiters/waitresses don't know the difference and have to go ask the kitchen. If you are putting people out there to sell your food, teach them a thing or two about food.

Crazy enough Chick Fil A has the best side salad for a fast food chain. Beats MANY full service restaurants.
    That's an interesting comment because I have occasionally ordered a takeout salad from various places for my elderly mother. She doesn't want any kind of lettuce except iceberg lettuce. Some places seemingly have never heard of a salad with only iceberg lettuce and throw up their hands when asked for something like that.

RIb Crib has a really good side salad, I think. Has these yummy lil pinwheel thingys (flour tortillas i believe) Yum!

Taking into consideration, iceberg lettuce has no nutritional value whatsoever. I least when ordering a salad, try arugula, watercress, spinach leaves, romaine. A good fresh vinegrette dressing. Easy 180, you are probably right, Okies love to drown their salads with "Raaaaaanch" lol.
    Last edited by progressiveboy; 04-10-2011 at 07:10 AM. Reason: added sentence

get the soup. though often nothing to write home about, it may beat what you're getting now.

Pearl's has a darn good side salad, although there's not much in it. Probably the ranch!

Panarea Breads low fat Balsamic Vin can make anything taste good. Although my favortite dressing ever is actually the white basalmic dressing in the frige section of the supermarker next to the bagged salads. Brand starts with and M. I could literally do shots of that stuff

Thumbs up Re: Pet Peeve---side salad

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    Taking into consideration, iceberg lettuce has no nutritional value whatsoever. I least when ordering a salad, try arugula, watercress, spinach leaves, romaine. A good fresh vinegrette dressing. Easy 180, you are probably right, Okies love to drown their salads with "Raaaaaanch" lol.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Jettmiester View Post
    Thank you!
    I agree about preferring mixed types of greens in my salad. I'm not, however, going to try to change the mind of my mother who has lived to be 87 while preferring only iceberg lettuce in her salad. LOL

She can have whatever kind of lettuce she likes.

17. Default Re: Pet Peeve---side salad

I think its the Romaine lettuce that I like.

I'm not a fruit 'n veggie person and it has been years since my early childhood life that I had eaten the nasties, such as green beans, peas, corns, etc.

Occasionally, I do eat salads at any buffet place (without the tomatoes and onions) and when I pick out the lettuces (very picky), I choose only the healthy greens (not any that has white or yellow coloration).

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    Okies love to drown their salads with "Raaaaaanch" lol.
    Yup, us okies love hillbilly ketchup!

Thunder, try spinach for your greens. Fairly yummy for even non-salad lovers like you and me.

Quote Originally Posted by firefly831
    brand starts with and m.
    probably marzetti. -M

it is. Yummy yummy

Thread Information