Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Liberty Pointe: I-240 & Air Depot

Default Liberty Pointe: I-240 & Air Depot

Big group of building permits today by the Gardner Tanenbaum group to build a large apartment complex to be called Liberty Pointe near the old GM plant:

2. Default Re: Liberty Pointe: I-240 & Air Depot

Very strange place for an apartment complex.

Default Re: Liberty Pointe: I-240 & Air Depot

This is great!! I wonder what else will come after this. This is one of the most under developed areas in the metro.

All those Tinker/Boeing jobs are within a mile or two.

5. Default Re: Liberty Pointe: I-240 & Air Depot

That's a joke of a location..

Why? It's primed with opportunity.

With Boeing in the area too I'm sure it will be successful even if it doesn't meet Spartan's approval.

If it wasn't prime with opportunity, all these developers wouldn't be building over there all the sudden.

this was rezoned into a spud last summer ... good to see this moving forward .. between Military/contractors this will fill up very quickly

10. Default Re: Liberty Pointe: I-240 & Air Depot

It's also the only game in town for several miles in any direction. It's not a fast growth area, but it is a growth area. Remember 240/Sooner is only 1 mile away so you've got plenty folks with new homes being built all the time in the area. That neighborhood you see in the map in less than 5 years old...and it filled up within about 1 year of opening. Boeing is just up the street by a few hundred feet.

Now if we could get Copper Creek to actually BUILD at 240/Sooner, maybe we could get a grocery store out here!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    It's also the only game in town for several miles in any direction. It's not a fast growth area, but it is a growth area. Remember 240/Sooner is only 1 mile away so you've got plenty folks with new homes being built all the time in the area. That neighborhood you see in the map in less than 5 years old...and it filled up within about 1 year of opening. Boeing is just up the street by a few hundred feet.
    I thought that neighborhood was less than five years old because the previous residential buildings on those sites were destroyed in the May 5th tornado.

12. Default Re: Liberty Pointe: I-240 & Air Depot

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Why? It's primed with opportunity.
    It's almost laughable to think of something residential going in on this site. Maybe the developers will have a sense of humor and call it "Industrial Housing" or "The Barracks."

It appears so far that you're the only one who's laughing, Spartan.

14. Default Re: Liberty Pointe: I-240 & Air Depot

This site seems to be quite odd largely because of the atmosphere of the area being that of an abandoned plant. I think having it on the other side of the highway would change the perspective of the location.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerliberal View Post
    This site seems to be quite odd largely because of the atmosphere of the area being that of an abandoned plant. I think having it on the other side of the highway would change the perspective of the location.
    The "abandoned plant". Is now full of DOD employees and contractors

A mile north of that location, on Air Depot, is where all the new Boeing stuff is being built.

And the Boeing buildings are also owned by Gardner / Tanenbaum.

They have been wildly successful with all their apartment complexes so I wouldn't bet against this one.

18. Default Re: Liberty Pointe: I-240 & Air Depot

This is one of those that will either pay off or be an epic fail. Although with the proximity to Tinker and Boeing, it's going to be full in NO time.

This isn't good for the Tinker area.
    http://newsok.com/u.s.-air-force-to-...rticle/3655139

20. Default Re: Liberty Pointe: I-240 & Air Depot

I may well be proved wrong over time, but my immediate thought when seeing this picture was of the miles of what are now slummy apartment tracts built too close to industrial areas in cities such as Dallas, LA, & Houston. Tannenbaum may make a short-term gain, but the city will inherit a long-term problem.

Quote Originally Posted by knightrider View Post
    This isn't good for the Tinker area.
    http://newsok.com/u.s.-air-force-to-...rticle/3655139
    It offsets a lot of what is being gained with Boeing. I know it's two totally different talents bases and military vs. civilian jobs, but just in sheer number of people lost it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh GAWD the Smell! View Post
    Very strange place for an apartment complex.
    This. Really, Really This.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken In The Rough View Post
    I may well be proved wrong over time, but my immediate thought when seeing this picture was of the miles of what are now slummy apartment tracts built too close to industrial areas in cities such as Dallas, LA, & Houston. Tannenbaum may make a short-term gain, but the city will inherit a long-term problem.
    That's exactly what I thought of. My hope is that perhaps some supporting retail goes in to the south, perhaps on the south side of 240 along Air Depot.

It is an awesome place for it. There is a nice three story apartment complex on Sooner, between SE 44th and SE 59th that actually touches Tinker AFB and it is nearly full. I know it can succeed as long as they don't listen to all the nay Sayers on this page that don't live on this side of town. Now they need a couple restaurants over here. If you work at Boeing, you have to drive all the way around Tinker for a restaurant or eat at McDonalds or Popeyes at Sooner. This side of town has been neglected for years and for some reason those that are not from the East side think it can be nothing but a factory or farm land. I think it is a great start. The houses nearby are not five years old because of a tornado. They are still building new homes between Sooner Air Depot on the South side of I-240. I never understood the logic in zoning the whole SE side of the metro as industrial anyway. I think it is one of the many reasons that Crossroads struggles. Here you have acres and acres of open land right across I-240 and the one thing the area needs, residential, are off limits.

Every day I hear endless posts about Sprawl but we hear nothing about the NW side sprawling to Woodward while the SE side has vast open prairies and nothing around. This is closer to downtown that Penn and Memorial and it feels like the country. You would think people would advocate filling in the area to give some symmetry to the grown instead of having it all on the NW side. We on the East side have no problem living close to a factory. In fact, why would any new companies move to the area if their potential employees have to live 10+ miles away? I say bring in some more.

... You would think people would advocate filling in the area to give some symmetry to the grown instead of having it all on the NW side. ...
    There is not as much a grass roots pro suburban development camp like there is an anti-sprawl development camp. The anti-sprawl camp will will not go that crazy for what will likely be a suburban style apartment complex in an area they consider already sprawl, people who like suburbs generally care more about their area, city core, destination development or the places they go, so unless they are in this region then it has little affect to them.

Thread Information