Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tulsans finally getting it?

Default Tulsans finally getting it?

Read some of the comments on this article, it appears Tulsans are now accepting the fact that OKC has left them in the dust.

Tulsa World: Oklahoma City police force welcomes 34 new officers

2. Default Re: Tulsans finally getting it?

lol

yeah, and some of them almost look convincing. Especially "NotFromOKC"

hehe, when did we start trolling the Tulsa World?

3. Default Re: Tulsans finally getting it?

Be classy guys and don't gloat. Just listen, observe and learn.

Default Re: Tulsans finally getting it?

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzytoad View Post
    lol

yeah, and some of them almost look convincing. Especially "NotFromOKC"

hehe, when did we start trolling the Tulsa World?
    LOL I didn’t even notice that, that's silly. Yeah I wasn’t going to leave comments in there, I just thought it was interesting that most of the comments were asking "what does okc do different?" usually they just bash. Also interesting the editor for Tulsaworld steps in later down the road and says well OKC has government jobs that is why OKC is stable.

l OKC has government jobs that is why OKC is stable.
    I don't know about that. Some of those government workers are pretty unstable. At least, the ones running it are...

Be classy guys and don't gloat.
    Very true. I don't think we're out to try and impress Tulsa, anyway. We're just trying to create a nice place to live and visit, neither of which I think Tulsans would admit to be interested in doing, no matter what we do.

This comment from edelweiss sums up Tulsan's superiority complex.

"No offense NotFromOKC. But "They are doing everything right and we can't do anything right!" Is WAY overstated. Maybe someday you'll be able to move there. Just hope you you don't mind not having any hills, big trees, and brown dirt."

HA! I guess we'll never be able to compete with their brown dirt.
    LOL!

8. Default Re: Tulsans finally getting it?

I hate how when they compare OKC to Tulsa, the biggest argument they have is the hills and trees. Cities have no control over natural scenery. If we did however, they know as well as us with the way they've been running things, they'd be the ones with the flat terrain and clay dirt.

Even so... OKC is not flat and barren. When the state is touted as having the most diverse terrain in America... OKC is really the only place in the state that you can see that on a smaller scale. NE OKC is IN FACT lush, green and hilly... the NW is deffinatly gently rolling plains... west its flatter... go SW and you've literally got cactus and sage brush.

10. Default Re: Tulsans finally getting it?

Quote Originally Posted by Platemaker View Post
    Even so... OKC is not flat and barren. When the state is touted as having the most diverse terrain in America... OKC is really the only place in the state that you can see that on a smaller scale. NE OKC is IN FACT lush, green and hilly... the NW is deffinatly gently rolling plains... west its flatter... go SW and you've literally got cactus and sage brush.
    ...and less expensive construction.

11. Default Re: Tulsans finally getting it?

In a way. You can tell they're bothered by the passage of Maps3. The TulsaWorld buried the news of it's passage and the Tulsa media outlets totally ignored it.

As for the social media savvy citizens, they get it and have "gotten it" for some time now. Them owning up to that fact is a whole other achievement. As we speak they is a thread on Tulsanow that refers to OKC as OK****ty. It offers the excuse that we're only making strides because of government money. The same thread also infers that Maps3 is also a weak attempt on our part to actually catch up to TULSA. Also, according to the thread, Norman isn't a suburb of OKC.

To be honest, I don't know how much more we can expect and I, for one, don't care. Tulsans aren't as silly as they sound, and some of their citizens are indeed disappointed and disillusioned. If part of the way they cope w/ that is by putting this city down a bit, let them have it. It doesn't change anything here or there. It's more than obvious to anyone who is even remotely unbiased which city is more progressive and has a brighter future. That's a fact that is damn near undeniable and empirically justified. Tulsa "getting it" matters zero.

Please don't go to Tulsanow and "defend" this city. Please don't start bashing Tulsa in this thread. We've had enough of that over the past 3 months to last for at least a year or so. Well...at least until they announce that Bricktown's streetcar stop will be the one right by the Ford Center. Ha!

Well, a lot of people can't handle it when other people succeed.

So, I take is as a compliment. The more they put us down, the more they want to have the citizen support and unity we have in our city/city government.

They also see more college grads from OU and OSU moving to OKC instead of Tulsa. They used to be the big draw in the state for college grads. Not anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
    They also see more college grads from OU and OSU moving to OKC instead of Tulsa. They used to be the big draw in the state for college grads. Not anymore!
    I think we're going to see a significant increase in the number that move here versus Tulsa as the MAPS projects, the Crosstown, Devon and the streetscaping start to progress significantly.

The "hills and trees" worship is overblown. Yes, Tulsa has some, but the hills are not nearly as noticeable as in other cities.

I travel there frequently, and it is a decaying city for the most part. The downtown area is eerily quiet, somewhat vacant, and somewhat run down.

I love the Blue Dome district and other areas of Tulsa, but the city is crumbling.

They have a ratty convention center, a condemned downtown hotel property, an increasingly run-down Doubletree Hotel, etc. Their roads are in far worse shape than what we had in OKC even before repairs began here.

There are some beautiful neighborhoods there without a doubt, but it's not nearly the hilly, forested paradise it's portrayed to be.

Also, according to the thread, Norman isn't a suburb of OKC.
    While I generally agree with your post, I will take issue with this position. Norman is not a suburb. Edmond is a suburb. There's a big difference between the two. That many OKC workers choose to live in Norman and commute to OKC doesn't change this fact.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    While I generally agree with your post, I will take issue with this position. Norman is not a suburb. Edmond is a suburb. There's a big difference between the two. That many OKC workers choose to live in Norman and commute to OKC doesn't change this fact.
    Based upon who's definition of a suburb?

Frisco is as far from Dallas as Norman is to OKC and my Dallas friends consider Frisco a suburb.....what is the difference?

18. Default Re: Tulsans finally getting it?

Simply check the MSA listing with the Census Bureau...suburb.

19. Default Re: Tulsans finally getting it?

Norman is a suburb. Sorry.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

20. Default Re: Tulsans finally getting it?

Ehh... Norman is a suburb, guru. By geopraphy and definition by the U.S Office of Management and Budget, it is. Aurora, Illinois is a suburb Chicago. Far out there, but it still is.

If Norman is not a suburb of OKC, subtract its population down to just over 1 million people/year, because MSAs go by counties.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

21. Default Re: Tulsans finally getting it?

"Don't Edmond my Norman."

and...

Don't Tulsa my Anything!

I was really quite shocked how buried our successful vote was in their paper. We often cover what they are doing with a little bit of pride in our "sister city". I think it is emblematic of the real disconnect that exists between the younger and older Tulsan's.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    I was really quite shocked how buried our successful vote was in their paper. We often cover what they are doing with a little bit of pride in our "sister city". I think it is emblematic of the real disconnect that exists between the younger and older Tulsan's.
    If it makes you feel any better our local tv news media covered MAPS3.

Tulsa sucks compared with OKC, but Tulsa does have a lot of potential...we'll see if the new Tulsa mayor can do anything worthwhile...I fear it will be more of the same

What exactly is the mayoral sitution there? How do people feel about Taylor, then this new guy? What is he promising?

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    What exactly is the mayoral sitution there? How do people feel about Taylor, then this new guy? What is he promising?
    UP, according to a lot of insiders I know there, Taylor would have been reelected if she had chosen to run again, despite the very vocal opposition.

Since Bartlett supported Taylor during her run, a lot of folks I know there don't believe much will change. I agree, but for different reasons.

The angry Tulsa folks think there's a plutocratic conspiracy running the city. They may be somewhat correct but the real problem is the factionalism.

The people in the suburbs there really don't give a whit about downtown. Also, they think their 'burbs are superior to the city despite the fact there would be no employment base there if the city weren't there.

A lot of the constituencies view the Midtown, elite class as the barons and baronesses who make all the decisions. Thus they are highly skeptical of their city governance. That won't change with Dewey Bartlett, Jr.

They also have a lot of ultra-conservative suburbanites and South Tulsans who don't believe in any kind of taxes, and who are so radical as to support the dissolution of public education, so they struggle passing any city improvement tax packages.

As much as I would like to see it change, I don't believe it will until OKC is visibly 100 percent better to even the most delusional Tulsan, and that may take another ten years. By that time, they will be very far behind and OKC will be working on MAPS 4.

Thread Information