Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: General Weather Discussion - March 2014

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - March 2014

I've been chasing for 8 years. I've been extremely passionate about the weather since I could walk.

Thank you venture... Many people obviously do not read these post on here. I chase for the data and to help our local meteorologist give people warning. I have chased for 8 years and am not a "wannabe." lol without storm chasers do people honestly think there warning system to take shelter would be that great? Don't get me wrong modern science has advanced but without people on the ground it is extremely hard to tell if there's a tornado on the ground. (yes I know you can have a "radar detected" tornado that has a hook echo on the back end with inflow and outflow). Do people on here ever watch the news? When there are tornadoes how many times do the meteorologists call the chasers to get a live view on what they see? It's not to "get off." For one I don't want to go to far east of Tulsa because it is even more dangerous in the hilly terrain in far eastern Oklahoma. Tornadoes will happen here people, it's happened for hundreds of years. Don't blame chasers for trying to help innocent people and children. Like venture said, if you don't want to read about chases and tornadoes don't read the post, We'll be talking about chases for several months ahead. =)

For the people getting upset here's my post from awhile back,

Soonerman12

Soonerman12 is online now Participating Member

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - February 2014

Since the month of Feb. is almost up, I just wanted to talk a little about this upcoming spring. I absolutely love the weather and have watched it since I was around 5 years old. Last spring we had an extremely active severe weather season (as all of you brothers and sisters down in OKC/Moore know ). Here in Tulsa we didn't have "as many" tornadoes in the area as you guys down there, but I still had many opportunities to chase. Please no one get me wrong, I do not want tornadoes to hit communities what so ever! I chase for the science and to help give local mets info to help keep people safe. As I've noticed lately (people that hate severe weather do not read), we likely look to be in for another very active severe weather season this year (Large hail, Tornadoes, flooding rains, ect.). If anything we were kind of "unprepared" last year as many forecasters didn't believe we would see "as much" tornadoes due to the persistent drought in Oklahoma. Looking at the weather we have had lately and this winter, we looked primed for April to be pretty active yet again. (Last few years we have had somewhere around 100+ tornadoes, with a high % coming in April). I wanted to bring this up to see what everyone's views on this subject are?

AGAIN I do not want to scare anyone, I just want people to keep this in mind since spring will be approaching quickly. My thoughts and prayers are all with you in Moore/OKC/El Reno area. God bless all of you. Stay safe -Taylor

Again, I chase for the science. I want to help more understand these violent storms and give a better warning system so we do not see tragedies happen to schools and homes.

Plutonic Panda.... Do you know all the stories that have happened to "expert" chasers too? Those things can happen to anyone, these are very violent storms. Before people chase they really have to know how a tornado is made and "usually" which way tornadoes travel ("usually" they move up from the southwest to the northeast sometimes west to east if they tornado is large). After people first understand how a tornado is made then they'll know where to go when they chase. Most people, "professionals" included, get to excited and close that's how terrible accidents happen.

4. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - March 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman12 View Post
    Plutonic Panda.... Do you know all the stories that have happened to "expert" chasers too?.
    Can pretty much be summed up with one name.... Tim Samaras.

OK BBQ...... Exactly... That's what I was thinking of just didn't want to mention his name though (since people are getting so butt hurt about us talking about storm chasing I figured they would freak out even more about that). Tim Samaras was extremely experienced in storm chasing. I was trying to prove my point that anyone can chase you just have to be alert of your surroundings and know how storms work and move. He loved helping improve the warning system and chasing for science, not to "get off" like some people say. I can't believe some people are so ignorant. There's lots of people out there that appreciate what I do, I chase to help. Thank you OK BBQ for agreeing with me

God Bless Tim.. That was a freak accident.. Also, there's a very good National Geographic article called the Monster Storm about him and last years El Reno tornado..

7. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - March 2014

OK BBQ...... Exactly... That's what I was thinking of just didn't want to mention his name though (since people are getting so butt hurt about us talking about storm chasing I figured they would freak out even more about that). Tim Samaras was extremely experienced in storm chasing ....... Thank you OK BBQ for agreeing with me
    No problem. I'm not going to let a troll stop me from saying whats on my mind.

There are good and bad chasers, as there are in any group, but Mr. Samaras and other chasers like him have contributed important data to help understand these storms. I'm sure every chaser out there has a little adrenaline junky running through their veins but the data they have collected goes towards saving lives.... Even the lives of internet trolls.

Completely agree. And yeah there's a 100-300 mph wind cycle that goes several miles up in the air anyone's going to have some adrenaline. I just hate when ignorant people come on here and voice there opinion about someone. I'm not some hillbilly trying to be a daredevil. I have a love for the weather and it's a passion of mine. I'm not trying to hurt someone and I don't have a death wish and i'm not hurting anyone.

Nice cool spring rain moving in right now. Radar looks to be filling in nicely. Hopefully we can squeeze half an inch out of it over most of the state.

Plutonic Panda.... Do you know all the stories that have happened to "expert" chasers too? Those things can happen to anyone, these are very violent storms. Before people chase they really have to know how a tornado is made and "usually" which way tornadoes travel ("usually" they move up from the southwest to the northeast sometimes west to east if they tornado is large). After people first understand how a tornado is made then they'll know where to go when they chase. Most people, "professionals" included, get to excited and close that's how terrible accidents happen.
    Yeah, I saw what happened with the guy from the Weather Channel which I guess was Tim Samaras. That was pretty crazy and rip to him.

Nice heavy rain now in south OKC

12. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - March 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Yeah, I saw what happened with the guy from the Weather Channel which I guess was Tim Samaras. That was pretty crazy and rip to him.
    Mike Bettes was the chaser with the Weather Channel that was also hit in the El Reno tornado but survived. I believe Tim Samaras was working with the TWISTEX team during that storm.

Rain moving out of most of metro.

Now here comes the wind and dust to stick to all the water droplets.

Everyone's an expert storm chaser around here just like everyone in the pen is innocent.

It gets old pretty quick. Especially when many "storm chasers" wish the destruction is close.

15. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - March 2014

Quote Originally Posted by okcboomer View Post
    Everyone's an expert storm chaser around here just like everyone in the pen is innocent.

It gets old pretty quick. Especially when many "storm chasers" wish the destruction is close.
    So does your attitude. Again, if you don't like what is posted here, don't click into these threads.

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    So does your attitude. Again, if you don't like what is posted here, don't click into these threads.
    Sorry to come across in a bad way. Actually the reason I "click" on the weather threads is to see what you and others like anon have to say about the forecasts. I just don't care to hear others wish for death and destruction so they can fill an empty, sick void in their lives.

17. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - March 2014

Sorry to come across in a bad way. Actually the reason I "click" on the weather threads is to see what you and others like anon have to say about the forecasts. I just don't care to hear others wish for death and destruction so they can fill an empty, sick void in their lives.
    I didn't see that anywhere on this thread. Mind you I chased for a good 10-12 years before I got tired of it.

You are out of your mind on that one. No one said that - you brought your own bias to the table. This is a very professionally run thread and you clearly don't understand the context of the comments.

Ummmmm, not to get off subject, but that is completely false. A ton of chasers out there risk their lives to chase these storms to report life saving information so people can be warned, so maybe you should have some respect. As for the amateurs, there are plenty of reasons people do it.... I did it because I wanted to see a tornado.... since I've lived here, I have not seen one... others might do it because they want that career.

Empty, sick void? Really? Not even worth responding further...

No gully washers, but most of the state got some rain with all of it staying well under 1/2", according to this map. Your rain gauge may differ. Mine on the east side of Stillwater didn't. It got .22".

LOL Too bad you can't block OKCBoomer from this forum Venture. He's obviously ignorant to the people on this site. Your absolutely right Plutonic Panda, we risk our lives because we love to help and give vital information to save lives. Tornadoes are going to happen in this state no matter what so we might as well study them. OKCboomer, If all of us chasers stop chasing tell me how much warning time you would have... I know that radars can detect rotation but many times it's hard to tell if one is actually touching the ground. Also, you think we are sick and twisted and filling a void in our lives? So are you saying people that fight fires are sick? Do police officers become police officers so they can shoot someone and fill a sick void? The answer is no, there's actually people out there trying to help and keep this world safe. I'm sorry that someone has made you such a sad disappointing person that doesn't have a d@mn thing to believe in. Do you always think people are out to get you? Are you the type that thinks the government controls our weather? Lol I mean you act like us chasers create the d@mn tornado. Good day to you sir.

Venture... According to your data what are you seeing as far as severe weather is concerned for today? I'm seeing some dew points surging into the mid 50's to 60's here in Tulsa and eastern OK with a pretty strong low level jet. Our temps look to be pretty sufficient for tstorm development..... What are you seeing?

OKCBOOMER... Please show me where someone wished for death and destruction. The comment was simple as followed,

Venture... So do you think Tulsa area will be out of this? About how far in miles from Tulsa? I'm planning on chasing Thursday but don't want to go way to far from Tulsa. Also, according to the info you provided what do you think the chances are of Tornadoes

Do you see anywhere I said I wish for death and destruction? I don't want to go to far from Tulsa because it can get very dangerous for chasers and people due to the hilly terrain.

The map I've seen for today shows a triple-point set up just west of Tulsa. Interesting to see the dryline that far east. The TV mets are starting to hype a severe weather event mid-week next week. Does that look like something to worry about at this time?

Thread Information