Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    Flew Southwest for the non-stop to MCO this past week. While the non-stop was convenient, yikes I was reminded why I never fly them. What a (1) cattle car and (2) customer service nightmare. Paying for A boarding group gives no guarantee you won't be seated next to large people who should have purchased more than one seat. Sorry not sorry. At least on other airlines I can control that and book first class if I want. And Southwest so overuses their gates in Orlando on Saturdays (probably from all the cities they do once-weekly non-stops) that they have flights (SCHEDULED) coming in before the prior flight leaves the gate. Their terminal is a complete disaster when all flights are on time. And there is NO lounge to escape to. I can't imagine it when even just a few flights get delayed or canceled. I'm not sure the non-stop is worth it when you can have a quick layover in DFW (or some other place) and spending the layover in a nice, quiet lounge. Geez....

Also I remember the days when Southwest employees had fun while they worked. Now they just seemed mad and rude. How sad.
    I always laugh when people have complaints like this about southwest and seem so shocked by how they operate. They’ve been a major airline for most of three decades, were you just not paying attention to how it works? If you want to pay for 1st class, have access to lounges, etc…it isn’t the airline for you. If you want access to a lot of destinations out of OKC/TUL and don’t need or care about the luxuries offered by the legacy carriers, it’s a great airline. Also it isn’t technically cattle car boarding anymore but even still, I’ve never had any issue with it…it’s just different and if that’s not what you like, why fly with them and then complain about it like it’s something they try to hide from you lol.

As far as employees go I haven’t ever really had a negative experience in the 20 years I’ve been flying with them and generally I’ve found them to be much nicer than there legacy counterparts. That said, given the ringer they’ve been thrown through over the last few months…it’s not really surprising that moral may be low right now.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I always laugh when people have complaints like this about southwest and seem so shocked by how they operate. They’ve been a major airline for most of three decades, were you just not paying attention to how it works? If you want to pay for 1st class, have access to lounges, etc…it isn’t the airline for you. If you want access to a lot of destinations out of OKC/TUL and don’t need or care about the luxuries offered by the legacy carriers, it’s a great airline. Also it isn’t technically cattle car boarding anymore but even still, I’ve never had any issue with it…it’s just different and if that’s not what you like, why fly with them and then complain about it like it’s something they try to hide from you lol.

As far as employees go I haven’t ever really had a negative experience in the 20 years I’ve been flying with them and generally I’ve found them to be much nicer than there legacy counterparts. That said, given the ringer they’ve been thrown through over the last few months…it’s not really surprising that moral may be low right now.
    100% this i don't care for southwest so i don't fly them very often but when i do (because of price timing ect ... ) i know what to expect

If you fly Economy, Southwest is no more cattle car than any of the legacy carriers.

I think I flew all the OKC bound low-cost airlines and I don't have any complain. An economy seat is an economy seat.

I think AA has the highest density in their 737 MAX.

Below are the nonstop destinations and current frequencies for Southwest out of OKC:
    LAS: 1x M-F, 2x S-Su
    PHX: 2x Su-F, 1x S
    DEN: 3x Su-F, 2x S *this was 4x/daily pre-COVID
    HOU: 4x M-F, 2x S, 3x Su
    AUS: 1x M-Su *added in 2022
    SAT: 1x M-F, 1x Su *added in 2022
    STL: 2x M-F, 1x S-Su
    MDW: 1x M-Su *restored in 2022
    ATL: 1x M-Su
    MCO: 1x S

Unfortunately not seeing the BNA Saturday nonstop showing up on any scheduled

Quote Originally Posted by amocore View Post
    If you fly Economy, Southwest is no more cattle car than any of the legacy carriers.

I think I flew all the OKC bound low-cost airlines and I don't have any complain. An economy seat is an economy seat.

I think AA has the highest density in their 737 MAX.
    except for the fact that you actually have a seat before you board .... which is a huge difference

also southwest is NOT a low cost carrier and hasn't been for a long time

Their seating is special. Can not deny this.

I do not understand what defines a low cost from another airlines. You are nickel and dimed on all the airlines, if you fly in economy class.
    The only difference, for me, is legacy have business class and "low cost" have full economy.
    It is all low cost experience seen from the back !

7. Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Below are the nonstop destinations and current frequencies for Southwest out of OKC:
    LAS: 1x M-F, 2x S-Su
    PHX: 2x Su-F, 1x S
    DEN: 3x Su-F, 2x S *this was 4x/daily pre-COVID
    HOU: 4x M-F, 2x S, 3x Su
    AUS: 1x M-Su *added in 2022
    SAT: 1x M-F, 1x Su *added in 2022
    STL: 2x M-F, 1x S-Su
    MDW: 1x M-Su *restored in 2022
    ATL: 1x M-Su
    MCO: 1x S

Unfortunately not seeing the BNA Saturday nonstop showing up on any scheduled
    I knew they must have cut the LAS route frequency. It seemed like it used to be 2x daily before covid. I usually leave on Wed or Thursday and that was always the case. Interesting that they wouldn't add more frequency, esp on a Friday.

As a comparison this is current Southwest nonstop schedule from TUL:
    LAS: 1x M-Su *this was 2x/daily pre-COVID, competes with 2x/weekly Allegiant nonstop on M & F
    PHX: 1x M-S, 2x Su *this was 2x/daily pre-COVID, competes with AA nonstop added in 2022
    DEN: 3x Su-F, 1x S *competes with 4x/daily United nonstop, no Frontier currently on this route (pre-COVID there were 8x/daily nonstops to DEN)
    DAL: 4x M-F, 2x S, 3x Su
    HOU: 2x M-F, 1x S, 2x Su
    AUS: 1x M-Su *competes with 1x/daily AA nonstop added in 2022
    STL: 2x M-F, 1x S-Su *was 3x before they restored MDW
    MDW: 2x M-F, 1x S-Su *restored in 2022
    MCO: 1x S starts 4/15

9. Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

As a comparison this is current Southwest nonstop schedule from TUL:
    LAS: 1x M-Su *this was 2x/daily pre-COVID, competes with 2x/weekly Allegiant nonstop on M & F
    PHX: 1x M-S, 2x Su *this was 2x/daily pre-COVID, competes with AA nonstop added in 2022
    DEN: 3x Su-F, 1x S *competes with 4x/daily United nonstop, no Frontier currently on this route (pre-COVID there were 8x/daily nonstops to DEN)
    DAL: 4x M-F, 2x S, 3x Su
    HOU: 2x M-F, 1x S, 2x Su
    AUS: 1x M-Su *competes with 1x/daily AA nonstop added in 2022
    STL: 2x M-F, 1x S-Su *was 3x before they restored MDW
    MDW: 2x M-F, 1x S-Su *restored in 2022
    MCO: 1x S starts 4/15
    Wonder why they get the extra daily rotation to MDW? That would be nice for us as well as it would give more possibilities to east coast destinations. Perhaps it is because we have the DCA nonstop, which I don't think was listed above.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Wonder why they get the extra daily rotation to MDW? That would be nice for us as well as it would give more possibilities to east coast destinations. Perhaps it is because we have the DCA nonstop, which I don't think was listed above.
    I did miss the OKC-DCA nonstop. It is 1x M-F, not currently running weekends though that may change this summer. Hoping Southwest adds BNA for both OKC and TUL for a fun weekend trip and for Southeast and East Coast connections. OKC has the ATL nonstop that TUL does not have so SE connections are all from DAL or HOU. Delta has the only ATL nonstop from TUL and the price is double what it is from OKC because of Southwest.

Wish we had OKC-BNA back, and even more OKC-DAL

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    except for the fact that you actually have a seat before you board .... which is a huge difference

also southwest is NOT a low cost carrier and hasn't been for a long time
    Southwest's lowest fares are usually not much different than the legacy carriers. However, a big difference is that their highest fares are usually significantly less than the highest on the legacy carriers.

13. Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    Southwest's lowest fares are usually not much different than the legacy carriers. However, a big difference is that their highest fares are usually significantly less than the highest on the legacy carriers.
    I think this is generally accurate. We paid $600+ per person r/t for A boarding group. I continued to check prices occasionally for the 8 months or so before departure and they never got cheaper. The legacy carriers changing planes even with extra legroom were generally marginally less than this at various times. But we paid for the convenience of non-stop on Southwest. They are often not the cheapest option. They sure would not have been this trip.

14. Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

For a family of four like us, the savings come in the two checked bags FREE per person. Now we never need to check 8 bags (!) but we have checked 6 for long summer trips, so the savings there for us is significant.

But having flown Delta twice last year (one of them transatlantic) they really have a good product, and I thought the staff both here in the States and in Europe were friendly and helpful. I was very impressed all the way around. My experiences with staff on Southwest last summer---not so much. I agree, they seem overworked and just not as happy to be there as they were three years ago (understandable, but still).

15. Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

I was worried about bag issue too switching over to AA with having 4 in my family. That being said, a basic credit card from AA is $99/year and "First eligible checked bag free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to 4 companions traveling with you on the same reservation". That's with no status. When you get even gold that starts opening up more baggage options. I'm EP and last year to Pensacola I could have checked 12 bags for free for all of us lol.

Southwest is def not the cheapest anymore so even that $99 fee for the credit card each year saved me a ton vs the flight costs of SWA. If that makes sense.

AA is the best overall option out of OKC. Unless SWA has a direct, its AA that overall stacks up the best.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    AA is the best overall option out of OKC. Unless SWA has a direct, its AA that overall stacks up the best.
    Here is AA's current schedule out of OKC:
    LAX: 2x M-Su
    PHX: 3x M-Su *competes with Southwest 2x/daily - total 5x/daily to PHX!
    DFW: 7x Su-F, 6x S
    AUS: 1x M-Su *competes with Southwest 1x/daily
    ORD: 2x M-Th, 3x F-Su * competes with United 2x/daily
    CLT: 2x M-Su
    DCA: 1x M-Su *competes with Southwest 1x/daily
    LGA: 1x M-Su *competes with Delta 1x/daily

And Tulsa:
    LAX: 1x M-Su *competes with Allegiant 2x/weekly
    PHX: 1x M-Sun *competes with Southwest 1x/M-S, 2x Su
    DFW: 7x Su-F, 6x S
    AUS: 1x M-Su *competes with Southwest 1x/daily
    ORD: 3x M-Su *competes with United 2x/daily
    CLT: 2x M-Su
    DCA: 1x M-Su
    LGA: 1x M-Su
    MIA: 1x S

18. Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

^ looks like daily OKC- MIA starts back up April 5 from what I can see and then goes away Jan 6, 2024.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    ^ looks like daily OKC- MIA starts back up April 5 from what I can see and then goes away Jan 6, 2024.
    Awesome, hoping TUL-MIA can go daily too. Saturday only service is really just good for cruise ship passengers.

AA serves all of its hubs except for PHL which I don’t see happening for awhile with DCA/LGA. Wish we could get United to serve all of its hubs

Current non-stop frequencies from OKC by city:
    1. Seattle - SEA: Alaska 1x M-Su
    2. Los Angeles - LAX: American 2x M-Su
    3. Las Vegas - LAS: Southwest 1x M-F, 2x S-Su; Frontier 1x T,Th,Su; Allegiant 1x Th,Su
    4. Phoenix - PHX: Southwest 2x Su-F, 1x S; American 3x M-Su
    5. Salt Lake City - SLC: Delta 2x Su-F
    6. Denver - DEN: Southwest 3x Su-F, 1x S; United 4x M-Su; Frontier 1x T,Th,S,Su
    7. Dallas/Ft Worth - DFW: American 7x Su-F, 6x S
    8. Austin - AUS: Southwest 1x M-Su; American 1x M-Su
    9. San Antonio - SAT: Southwest 1x M-F, 1x Su
    10. Houston - IAH: United 6x M-Su
    11. Houston - HOU: Southwest 4x M-F, 2x S, 3x Su
    12. St Louis - STL: Southwest 2x M-F, 1x S-Su
    13. Chicago - ORD: American 2x M-Th, 3x F-Su; United 2x M-Su
    14. Chicago - MDW: Southwest 1x M-Su
    15. Minneapolis - MSP: Delta 1x M-Su
    16. Washington - DCA: American 1x M-Su; Southwest 1x M-Su
    17. New York - LGA: American 1x M-Su; Delta 1x M-Su
    18. Charlotte - CLT: American 2x M-Su
    19. Atlanta - ATL: Delta 5x M-Su; Southwest 1x M-Su
    20. Orlando - MCO: Southwest 1x S
    21. Orlando - SFB: Allegiant 1x M,F (seasonal)
    22. Destin/Ft Walton Beach - VPS: Allegiant 1x M,F - Th,S,Su (summer)
    23. Miami - MIA: American 1x M-Su **returns 4/5

And Tulsa by city:
    1. Los Angeles - LAX: American 1x M-Su; Allegiant 1x M,F
    2. Las Vegas - LAS: Southwest 1x M-Su, Allegiant 1x M,F
    3. Phoenix - PHX: Southwest 1x M-S, 2x Su; American 1x M-Su
    4. Salt Lake City - SLC: Delta 2x Su-F
    5. Denver - DEN: Southwest 3x Su-F, 1x S; United 4x M-Su
    6. Dallas/Ft Worth - DFW: American 7x Su-F, 6x S
    7. Dallas - DAL: Southwest 4x M-F, 2x S, 3x Su
    9. Houston - IAH: United 5x M-Su
    10. Houston - HOU: Southwest 2x M-F, 1x S, 2x Su
    11. St Louis - STL: Southwest 2x M-F, 1x S-Su
    12. Chicago - ORD: American 3x M-Su; United 2x M-Su
    13. Chicago - MDW: Southwest 2x M-F, 1x S-Su
    14. Washington - DCA: American 1x M-Su
    15. New York - LGA: American 1x M-Su
    16. Charlotte - CLT: American 2x M-Su
    17. Atlanta - ATL: Delta 4x M-Su
    18. Orlando - MCO: Southwest 1x S **starts 4/15; Breeze 1x W,S **starts 3/1
    19. Orlando - SFB: Allegiant 1x M,F,S (seasonal)
    20. Destin/Ft Walton Beach - VPS: Allegiant 1x M,F - Th,S,Su (summer)
    21. St Petersburg/Clearwater - PIE: Allegiant 1x Su,Th (seasonal)
    22. Miami - MIA: American 1x S

Quote Originally Posted by Paule4ou View Post
    Wish we had OKC-BNA back, and even more OKC-DAL
    +1 on OKC-DAL.

Every since the Wright Amendment changed, Dallas Love has acted as a mini-hub for Southwest and it was easy to get to any SWA destination not served directly by OKC, however, that is one of the reasons the route was cancelled as many from OKC were using it as a layover and not end destination, with gate limitations at Love Field after the amendment was repealed, OKC-DAL wasn't necessarily profitable given the short route.

22. Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

So for the time being it looks like TPA is gone on both WN and Breeze? And is Breeze just done in OKC? TUL is lucky to have kept some service from them. And interesting that PIE works for TUL and it has never been tried here. Wonder if Florida markets are stronger out of TUL in general? And it seems like the Chicago market is better out of TUL,wonder why? They more service to MDW and ORD than OKC. Stronger industry ties between Chicago and Tulsa? Anyone venture a guess why a small market would have more service to Chicago than us? This is all fascinating to me.

Again, no momentum for OKC's airport. Just frustrating.

24. Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Current non-stop frequencies from OKC by city:
    1. Seattle - SEA: Alaska 1x M-Su
    2. Los Angeles - LAX: American 2x M-Su
    3. Las Vegas - LAS: Southwest 1x M-F, 2x S-Su; Frontier 1x T,Th,Su; Allegiant 1x Th,Su
    4. Phoenix - PHX: Southwest 2x Su-F, 1x S; American 3x M-Su
    5. Salt Lake City - SLC: Delta 2x Su-F
    6. Denver - DEN: Southwest 3x Su-F, 1x S; United 4x M-Su; Frontier 1x T,Th,S,Su
    7. Dallas/Ft Worth - DFW: American 7x Su-F, 6x S
    9. San Antonio - SAT: Southwest 1x M-F, 1x Su
    10. Houston - IAH: United 6x M-Su
    11. Houston - HOU: Southwest 4x M-F, 2x S, 3x Su
    12. St Louis - STL: Southwest 2x M-F, 1x S-Su
    13. Chicago - ORD: American 2x M-Th, 3x F-Su; United 2x M-Su
    14. Chicago - MDW: Southwest 1x M-Su
    15. Minneapolis - MSP: Delta 1x M-Su
    16. Washington - DCA: American 1x M-Su; Southwest 1x M-Su
    17. New York - LGA: American 1x M-Su; Delta 1x M-Su
    18. Charlotte - CLT: American 2x M-Su
    19. Atlanta - ATL: Delta 5x M-Su; Southwest 1x M-Su
    20. Orlando - MCO: Southwest 1x S
    21. Orlando - SFB: Allegiant 1x M,F (seasonal)
    22. Destin/Ft Walton Beach - VPS: Allegiant 1x M,F - Th,S,Su (summer)
    23. Miami - MIA: American 1x M-Su **returns 4/5

And Tulsa by city:
    1. Los Angeles - LAX: American 1x M-Su; Allegiant 1x M,F
    2. Las Vegas - LAS: Southwest 1x M-Su, Allegiant 1x M,F
    3. Phoenix - PHX: Southwest 1x M-S, 2x Su; American 1x M-Su
    4. Salt Lake City - SLC: Delta 2x Su-F
    5. Denver - DEN: Southwest 3x Su-F, 1x S; United 4x M-Su
    6. Dallas/Ft Worth - DFW: American 7x Su-F, 6x S
    7. Dallas - DAL: Southwest 4x M-F, 2x S, 3x Su
    9. Houston - IAH: United 5x M-Su
    10. Houston - HOU: Southwest 2x M-F, 1x S, 2x Su
    11. St Louis - STL: Southwest 2x M-F, 1x S-Su
    12. Chicago - ORD: American 3x M-Su; United 2x M-Su
    13. Chicago - MDW: Southwest 2x M-F, 1x S-Su
    14. Washington - DCA: American 1x M-Su
    15. New York - LGA: American 1x M-Su
    16. Charlotte - CLT: American 2x M-Su
    17. Atlanta - ATL: Delta 4x M-Su
    18. Orlando - MCO: Southwest 1x S **starts 4/15; Breeze 1x W,S **starts 3/1
    19. Orlando - SFB: Allegiant 1x M,F,S (seasonal)
    20. Destin/Ft Walton Beach - VPS: Allegiant 1x M,F - Th,S,Su (summer)
    21. St Petersburg/Clearwater - PIE: Allegiant 1x Su,Th (seasonal)
    22. Miami - MIA: American 1x S
    OKC-TPA SWA starts back April 15th for Saturday service. Ends June 3rd.
    OKC-BNA SWA starts back June 3 for Saturday and Sunday service. Still on schedule as of Oct 1

25. Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    OKC-TPA SWA starts back April 15th for Saturday service. Ends June 3rd.
    OKC-BNA SWA starts back June 3 for Saturday and Sunday service. Still on schedule as of Oct 1
    Weird. Why such a short window for the TPA flight? I mean, spring break season is over by that point. I don't get it. Would love to see their analysis to come up with that schedule.

Thread Information