Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

You guys do remember we had that late Blizzard Jan 31-Feb 1 in 2011 and then another a week after, yeah? The weather before those storms preceding it was extremely quiet. And after that it was all drought. Yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew4OU View Post
    You guys do remember we had that late Blizzard Jan 31-Feb 1 in 2011 and then another a week after, yeah? The weather before those storms preceding it was extremely quiet. And after that it was all drought. Yuck.
    There were record highs and dry weather in the days before that blizzard. Then at or below freezing for over a week, with some places in NE Okla. dipping to -20 below zero.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    There were record highs and dry weather in the days before that blizzard. Then at or below freezing for over a week, with some places in NE Okla. dipping to -20 below zero.
    I'll take anything at this point. Already tiring of this perpetual non-winter. A few drops into the upper 20s or early 30s would at least give the illusion of winter. Bonus? I could wear my new jaunty boots.

Quote Originally Posted by FritterGirl View Post
    I'll take anything at this point. Already tiring of this perpetual non-winter. A few drops into the upper 20s or early 30s would at least give the illusion of winter. Bonus? I could wear my new jaunty boots.
    I've used about twice as much natural gas for heating the winter, so I guess last winter was twice as much of a non-winter.

Guessing the models dropped off any precip chances and the polar vortex II? I see just one cold day on Thurs with zero chance for precip in the next 10 days

6. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Guessing the models dropped off any precip chances and the polar vortex II? I see just one cold day on Thurs with zero chance for precip in the next 10 days
    The polar vortex might dip back down across the northern part of the country still coming up. Remember, the polar vortex is ALWAYS there it isn't something new and strange...it just moved down south further than it has for a few years. Plus the name sounds cool so the media went crazy with it.

Upcoming Precip Chances
    Friday Jan 24th - along south of I-40. GFS wants this to be all snow as well, which could be a few inches but heavier in North Texas with a general 3-6" accumulation. Now, the 12Z GFS solution this morning is the only run that shows this, so we don't have any others to back it up yet. The Euro takes this system down south along the Gulf coast keeping us dry.

Friday Jan 31st - much of the state. Could be talking heavy precip with up to a half inch through Friday at 6AM and then another 1-2" during the day on Friday. Right now it looks like all rain going to snow, but only about a dusting in central OK to a few inches east. Run to run consistency is weak right now. The last several have a storm system in the general region, but not the same specific solutions.

7. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

00Z GFS killed the chances for snow at the end of the week here, pushes it waaaay south. Next chance of snow looks to be around Feb 3rd or 4th.

8. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

Wind Child Advisory for tomorrow for north of I-40.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORMAN OK
    226 PM CST WED JAN 22 2014

OKZ014>019-024>026-231200-
    /O.EXB.KOUN.WC.Y.0002.140123T0900Z-140123T1600Z/
    ROGER MILLS-DEWEY-CUSTER-BLAINE-KINGFISHER-LOGAN-CANADIAN-
    OKLAHOMA-LINCOLN-
    INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CHEYENNE...TALOGA...WEATHERFORD...
    CLINTON...WATONGA...KINGFISHER...GUTHRIE...YUKON.. .EL RENO...
    MUSTANG...OKLAHOMA CITY...CHANDLER
    226 PM CST WED JAN 22 2014

...WIND CHILL ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 10 AM CST
    THURSDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NORMAN HAS ISSUED A WIND CHILL
    ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 10 AM CST THURSDAY.

* WIND CHILL VALUES OF 5 TO 15 DEGREES BELOW ZERO.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

IF YOU HAVE TO BE OUTSIDE...DRESS IN LAYERS AND LEAVE NO SKIN
    EXPOSED TO THE WIND. FROSTBITE AND HYPOTHERMIA CAN HAPPEN
    QUICKLY.

With the car in the garage thankfully I will be exposed to the wind for a grand total of 15 seconds from the car to my work's front door lol

10. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

Don't be shocked to see a flake or two today. Really dry out there but might be some light flurries scattered about today. McAlester does have some light snow right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    With the car in the garage thankfully I will be exposed to the wind for a grand total of 15 seconds from the car to my work's front door lol
    Pretty much the same for me.

Looking ahead.

Potential flurries/clipper-type snow shower Monday.

Then approaching February and the first week of February, it looks interesting. This disturbance has been consistent on run to run for the last several days. So track and type is still in question, but general chance looks likely at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Looking ahead.

Potential flurries/clipper-type snow shower Monday.

Then approaching February and the first week of February, it looks interesting. This disturbance has been consistent on run to run for the last several days. So track and type is still in question, but general chance looks likely at this time.
    Any type of moisture would be greatly appreciated!

14. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

CPC's Outlook for Early Feb...

The TV mets keep talking about a basic weather pattern change about next weekend that should bring increasing chances of rain / snow

WIND ADVISORY
    Updated: Sun Jan-26-14 03:48am CST
    Effective: Sun Jan-26-14 03:48am CST
    Expires: Mon Jan-27-14 06:00am CST

Severity: Minor
    Urgency: Expected
    Certainty: Likely

Type: Alert
    Category: Met
    Areas affected: Alfalfa; Atoka; Beckham; Blaine; Bryan; Caddo; Canadian; Carter; Cleveland; Coal; Comanche; Cotton; Custer; Dewey; Ellis; Garfield; Garvin; Grady; Grant; Greer; Harmon; Harper; Hughes; Jackson; Jefferson; Johnston; Kay; Kingfisher; Kiowa; Lincoln; Logan; Love; Major; Marshall; McClain; Murray; Noble; Oklahoma; Payne; Pontotoc; Pottawatomie; Roger Mills; Seminole; Stephens; Tillman; Wash ita; Woods; Woodward

Instructions: Be careful if you have to travel or if you are working or playing outside.

Message summary: ...wind advisory in effect from 10 pm this evening to 6 am cst monday...
    The national weather service in norman has issued a wind advisory...which is in effect from 10 pm this evening to 6 am cst monday.
    * timing: strongest winds will occur behind a cold front from late this evening through the overnight.
    * winds: north winds 25 to 35 mph with gusts over 40 mph.
    * impacts: difficult driving conditions for high-profile and light-weight vehicles... Especially on east-west roadways.

17. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

Things look to get a little bit interesting in the 7-10 day timeframe.

18. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

Quote Originally Posted by s00nr1 View Post
    Things look to get a little bit interesting in the 7-10 day timeframe.
    Translation: if you hate cold - move south by February. If you hate snow...buy a flame thrower.

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    Translation: if you hate cold - move south by February. If you hate snow...buy a flame thrower.
    And, apparently, if you hate cold, AVOID going south for a few days. Can't believe the gulf coast is going to get a wintry mix.

20. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

Still a long ways out but there has been decent model consistency thus far. This is valid 12pm Wed Feb 5.

WHOA!!! The wind just hit. Roaring.

22. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

Hang on tight.

I had to get fuel before heading home. That was fun.

Beginning of the potential storm has moved into short term window. Looking at Sunday heading into Monday for timing (right now makes storm multi day event with secondary storm behind it - however, long-range models tend to do this and then evaporate secondary system once event time gets closer.)

Right now it looks like ice with snow follow-up. Potentially significant snow at this time.

Significant meaning 1 to 2 inches? Lol

Thread Information