Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Union Bus Station

Default Re: Union Bus Station

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Instead, this part of OKC will soon be dull, uninviting, and generic.
    a couple blocks down to the west would like to have a word with you. as much as we want every inch of urban fabric to be amazing and active and hot, don't act like attractive spots aren't a 2 minute walk from this location

I think it would be unfair to summarize all this as "The 'Pay' Plan" for the New Millennium. In fact, I'm sure of it. Being unfair. And short-sighted. From a historical perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by gurantula35 View Post
    The place is a dump. Its time to move on from it.
    Yeah, it's too bad those people in the Plaza district and Uptown didn't tear down their dumps, too.

The bus station was occupied and fully functioning until Preftakes recently bought it.

Far better condition that the huge majority of historic buildings that have been already renovated in the core.

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    a couple blocks down to the west would like to have a word with you. as much as we want every inch of urban fabric to be amazing and active and hot, don't act like attractive spots aren't a 2 minute walk from this location
    I didn't act like that or say it, but just because there is good urbanism nearby in Film Row, doesn't mean this had to be bad. Both could have been good, but instead you will have to walk through a deserted area after 5pm to get to that urban fabric. Some people will choose not to keep walking... It didn't have to be that way.

I think the potential to have something cool here is definitely interesting and should be looked into.

However, the main reason that I want this saved, is because of what would be replacing it.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Devon's entire complex could fit in the empty space within the Preftakes Block.
    There is so much wasted space on the current Devon site is should be against City ordinances....oh wait.

To me, the problem isn't just that the bus station is being razed, but what's replacing it: sterile parking garages. This area will have very few older buildings left and all new buildings and parking garages will create a dead zone. If this bus station was renovated it could be a fantastic source of activity and provide a sense of history for the area. If the bus station had been renovated into a RePUBlic I bet it would have been one of the hottest spots in OKC. Instead, this part of OKC will soon be dull, uninviting, and generic.
    This. The biggest problem with razing it is its being replaced by a giant, lifeless concrete cube. With parking garage to the west and one possibly to the south in the future, this intersection and block becomes as you say, dead zone, dull, and uninviting. With a little alterations, parking and the bus station can all co-exist.

^

Will also be a barrier to tying together the CBD and the rapidly emerging west downtown scene, with 21c, Hall Capital and Film Row.

When we walked past the bus station during the arts festival and I explained to my daughter it was being razed for a parking garage, she said: "I'm done with this city. We should move."

haha.

I have not been there since 1979 and it might have been razed since then. Anyone here familiar with the Varsity in Atlanta? It was in the old bus station downtown. They served hot dogs and burgers, fries, onion rings, and drinks and was billed as the world's largest drive in. Or, if you wished, you could eat inside in the old waiting room. You ordered at the old ticket counter and the kitchen was in the former baggage room. If you ate in your car the bus slips (parking slots) were where you placed your order. The food was not fancy but it was cheap. The story goes that Nipsy Russell had worked at the Varsity when he was younger. I suspect that that was before the Varsity was located in the former bus station. Why can I remember all these details but can't remember what I did yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
    I have not been there since 1979 and it might have been razed since then. Anyone here familiar with the Varsity in Atlanta? It was in the old bus station downtown. They served hot dogs and burgers, fries, onion rings, and drinks and was billed as the world's largest drive in. Or, if you wished, you could eat inside in the old waiting room. You ordered at the old ticket counter and the kitchen was in the former baggage room. If you ate in your car the bus slips (parking slots) were where you placed your order. The food was not fancy but it was cheap. The story goes that Nipsy Russell had worked at the Varsity when he was younger. I suspect that that was before the Varsity was located in the former bus station. Why can I remember all these details but can't remember what I did yesterday?
    The Varsity is still there and doing very well.

Blog Entries

My lifelong experience in this city; there hasn't been anything 'impressive' about the bus station or Club Burgundy which sat on the corner just north of it. The area turned into a big hangout for punks, pimps & panhandlers (PPPs). As far as the historic bus station sign, the Oklahoma History Center could provide a good home where they have some outstanding history exhibits downtown artifacts like the Katz Drugstore Counter during the sit in demonstrations by the NAACP under Clara Luper.

The important things this city should have been trying to preserve were lost during the urban renewal years in the 60s and beyond. The heart of historic downtown was ripped out when the Criterion Theater went down. This was the crown jewel cathedral among theaters in OKC:

The only true relics that I can name off the top of my head that we have left in this city from that downtown era are the Colcord, First National Center, City Place Tower, Southwestern Bell Tower, Hilton Skirvin Hotel, Civic Center Music Hall, Oklahoma County Courthouse, Municipal Building & the Farmers Market.

Bye bus station--your time was long overdue... ...out with the old, in with he new. New bus station at Reno & Eastern Avenue.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    When we walked past the bus station during the arts festival and I explained to my daughter it was being razed for a parking garage, she said: "I'm done with this city. We should move."

haha.
    Wonder who she's heard this from ?

My lifelong experience in this city; there hasn't been anything 'impressive' about the bus station or Club Burgundy which sat on the corner just north of it. The area turned into a big hangout for punks, pimps & panhandlers (PPPs)
    That is pretty much the exact same history for just about every successfully renovated urban district in America. A seedy past has nothing to do with what it would be in the future. Same with bricktown, midtown, updtown, and the plaza district. There are people paying $1000/mo+ in midtown living in buildings that were flop houses and hosts for squatters. The bus station actually had multiple parties interested in bringing it back to life with a new use, none of which I am aware of that would cater to punks, pimps, and panhandlers (PPPs).

^^^

Isn't this the story for all of Skid, er, Film Row?

18. Default Re: Union Bus Station

Thank you for filling in the details Pete. I'm glad that someone was able to put some info to my question.

I'm not sure I really changed my mind on being ok with the dozers coming through though. If the station had connections to other buildings or WOULD have connections to other buildings through front flow, it would drastically change my mind. But the thing's an island and that wouldn't change. I've already said I don't really feel like it's a good example of architecture of it's time compared to other things, but I'm obviously not a professional on the matter.

My issue with republic is what happens after that fails? We'd be back at square one with a lost chance to doze it. I don't know, I think I'm still cool with putting a garage in over this place.

Let's look at it the other way, what happens if RePUBlic is a huge success (which I am highly confident it would have been)? Could it have instigated more development in the area and created somewhere people want to be that actually bridged the gap between Bricktown-CBD-Film Row?

Blog Entries

Let's look at it the other way, what happens if RePUBlic is a huge success (which I am highly confident it would have been)? Could it have instigated more development in the area and created somewhere people want to be that actually bridged the gap between Bricktown-CBD-Film Row?
    You make a good case Dan.

We could probably attribute much success to the 50-story Devon Energy Tower. My memories of the bus station's PPPs was right before they moved it to the present location. The area was becoming a 'hub' for undesirables.

More like the 4ps (Punks, Pimps, Panhandlers & Prostitutes); the prostitution wasn't as heavy near the bus station which possessed women/men/it who couldn't give-it-away.

Maybe they could bring the bus station back to the CBD at a later date. My last memories of that place was creepy; especially when called upon to pick up relatives from that area. I recall the night I transported my daughter who arrived from Dallas to OKC being approached by an old snaggletooth women who asked me would I like a date? Politely said to her, NO THANK YOU! She couldn't have hog-tied me to stoop that low...

Just think of what was planned for the old Gary Dales' BBQ site; there were other alternatives:

The New Greyhound Station or a Strip Club Across from the Future American Indian Cultural Center | News OK

Every city has an underbelly. What was going on at the bus station before it moved is irrelevant.
    The issue is the building itself and its potential, which could be very bright - as evidenced by examples in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Thank you for filling in the details Pete. I'm glad that someone was able to put some info to my question.

I'm not sure I really changed my mind on being ok with the dozers coming through though. If the station had connections to other buildings or WOULD have connections to other buildings through front flow, it would drastically change my mind. But the thing's an island and that wouldn't change. I've already said I don't really feel like it's a good example of architecture of it's time compared to other things, but I'm obviously not a professional on the matter.

My issue with republic is what happens after that fails? We'd be back at square one with a lost chance to doze it. I don't know, I think I'm still cool with putting a garage in over this place.
    Did you really just say that if a restaurant went into the bus station and failed that we lost the opportunity to demo it? And unless you work at Devon, I'm not sure why anyone in their right mind would prefer a giant concrete parking garage over a cool rehabbed old building that has been brought back to life.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Did you really just say that if a restaurant went into the bus station and failed that we lost the opportunity to demo it? And unless you work at Devon, I'm not sure why anyone in their right mind would prefer a giant concrete parking garage over a cool rehabbed old building that has been brought back to life.
    This.

Some people just cannot wrap their mind around the fact that some of the coolest up and coming places packed with the most character were once seedy, undesirable locations. Just because some people may have negative memories of the bus station doesn't mean it can't be something awesome in the future.

24. Default Re: Union Bus Station

I can't wrap my head around why we're focusing on the damn Union Bus Station. If we're arguing over losing historic buildings in place of the parking garage, then I'd be all over Carpenter Square and Main Street. Not an awkwardly postioned, small bus station with minimal street frontage, a parking lot, and limited adaptive reuse.

A restaurant would be cool. Thousands of jobs, more retail/office and parking is of a higher and better use to me. Ehh. To each their own.

Although, the small footprint of the building should allow them to come up with a compromise on the West parking garage. Make it a little taller and less wide and you'd think there would be room for the UBS to stay. Although, there will go the retail bays in the parking garage as there won't be much street frontage left for ingress/egress AND retail frontage. It could happen but I don't have that sort of faith in the developers.

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    I can't wrap my head around why we're focusing on the damn Union Bus Station. If we're arguing over losing historic buildings in place of the parking garage, then I'd be all over Carpenter Square and Main Street. Not an awkwardly postioned, small bus station with minimal street frontage, a parking lot, and limited adaptive reuse.

A restaurant would be cool. Thousands of jobs, more retail/office and parking is of a higher and better use to me. Ehh. To each their own.

Although, the small footprint of the building should allow them to come up with a compromise on the West parking garage. Make it a little taller and less wide and you'd think there would be room for the UBS to stay. Although, there will go the retail bays in the parking garage as there won't be much street frontage left for ingress/egress AND retail frontage. It could happen but I don't have that sort of faith in the developers.
    You have a good point. However, I think the focus is on the bus station because that is viewed as the most likely thing to be saved if anything is possible at all. One North Hudson and the Motor Hotel are pretty much lost causes. If it were up to me, I would squeeze in the tower in the empty lot between the bus station and One North Hudson. If I HAD to demolish something, it would be the bus station and I would keep the buildings fronting Hudson. That isn't possible though because doing so would defeat Devon's ambitions to turn that area into a corporate campus.

Thread Information