I'm sorry if this has been discussed at length already. I didn't feel like reading through the other huge I-40 thread. I have a couple of questions: First, are they going to continue the second lane on the I-40 to I-44/74 northbound (technically east-bound) through the entire length of the ramp? Secondly, if not, who the heck designs these things???

For instance, I-40 is six lanes or so coming up to that interchange. Two lanes break off to the north, a couple continue through, and a lane or two break off to the south. This is fine, and I have no problem with this. My problem is that out of the two lanes that break off to the north, only one goes all the way through. This seems incredibly inefficient to me. What ends up happening is you funnel a large portion of traffic from two lanes down to one in the middle of a ramp, so the people that are in the through-going lane end up getting stuck in a huge traffic jam while others continue on around to force themselves in later. It seems more efficient to only send one lane off to the north. You end up with a really long line but it moves because you don't have that funneling effect that we do now. The other option is to continue both lanes through the freaking ramp like they should have done! Any thoughts?