Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Earthquake Discussion

Default Re: 2016 Earthquake Discussion

Some earthquake recording site placed the one that happened this morning in Fairview, OK, rather than the more general Woods County. Fairview probably needs to change the signs on the roads leading into town: Welcome to Fairview, The State Leader in Earthquakes. On the other hand, maybe they shouldn't.

It will probably take a 6.0 centered in Edmond before state lawmakers will have the political will to do something about it.

3. Default Re: 2016 Earthquake Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    Yep, the dogs were looking like what the heck was that.
    Freaked our cats out. Went on about 20 seconds and I went to the back door and watched all the neighbors patio doors and our blinds shake. Wife said the couch was moving. This is near Hefnerf and Council. to

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    It will probably take a 6.0 centered in Edmond before state lawmakers will have the political will to do something about it.
    It sure didn't help that this bigger than usual earthquake happened when the Oklahoma State Legislature was not in session. 17 miles northwest of Fairview is well out in the middle of nowhere. Too bad coyotes, deer, jack rabbits and armadillos can't vote or bitch at the legislators.

5. Default Re: 2016 Earthquake Discussion

Surprisingly I was sitting at my desk at home near East 15th and I-35 in Edmond and while we noticed it, it was pretty mild. Went on for longer than most, but didn't even rattle the pictures on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    It's going to be like a dangerous intersection that needs a traffic light - someone (or someones) will have to die before they do something about it, and even then, eh, maybe not, may be cheaper for the O&G companies to pay them off (like GM and their ignition switches).

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Surprisingly I was sitting at my desk at home near East 15th and I-35 in Edmond and while we noticed it, it was pretty mild. Went on for longer than most, but didn't even rattle the pictures on the wall.
    This was my experience as well. It wasn't the longest or the strongest but it did go longer than usual. But, I'm sick and was in bed in a medicated fog with a bi-pap mask on my face so my perception might have been skewed.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    Freaked our cats out. Went on about 20 seconds and I went to the back door and watched all the neighbors patio doors and our blinds shake. Wife said the couch was moving. This is near Hefnerf and Council. to
    You're not very far from me! I felt it but not nearly so long as did my wife, in another room. To me it felt as if a huge gust of wind had slapped the house, just a single shock. She said she felt everything shaking for a much longer time.

Curious about damage in Fairview and surroundings. Saw a report on Facebook that it was felt in Kansas City!

9. Default Re: 2016 Earthquake Discussion

I felt it way out in Lexington, again didn't feel much since I live on a hill, but it felt like a large dog scratching it's self when on the same couch as you.

Quote Originally Posted by ZYX2 View Post
    An earthquake of such a large magnitude is quite concerning. I'm afraid that these will become normal.
    Ugh! I wish we didn't settle for this!

This is so obviously not natural... And now my house is falling apart....

Email your representatives, people!!!

Funny...my daughter and her friend and I were out on foot, not more than a few blocks from where Pete felt it, but we didn't notice a thing! My husband, working up in the 63rd/Portland area, said it shook their windows and was clearly felt.

I was just reading that Arkansas had similar quake issues, they declared a moratorium on wastewater injection, and then their quakes stopped. Interesting that there has been no mention of this whatsoever in the Oklahoma media or by any politician.

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    I was just reading that Arkansas had similar quake issues, they declared a moratorium on wastewater injection, and then their quakes stopped. Interesting that there has been no mention of this whatsoever in the Oklahoma media or by any politician.
    Arkansas has had 15 earthquakes since last October so they have hardly stopped even if they aren't particularly strong.

Earthquakes

This is a listing of all Arkansas earthquakes for last year and they are fairly consistent with little change at all.

http://www.geology.ar.gov/geohazards...arthquakes.htm

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Arkansas has had 15 earthquakes since last October so they have hardly stopped even if they aren't particularly strong.

Earthquakes

This is a listing of all Arkansas earthquakes for last year and they are fairly consistent with little change at all.

Historic Earthquakes
    But on the worst days Oklahoma can have 15 or more earthquakes.

Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post
    Funny...my daughter and her friend and I were out on foot, not more than a few blocks from where Pete felt it, but we didn't notice a thing! My husband, working up in the 63rd/Portland area, said it shook their windows and was clearly felt.
    The fact that so many people don't feel the quakes when they happen, no doubt, helps explain why the Oklahoma Legislature or OCC feels obligated to do no more than it is doing, such as totally shut down all waste injection wells in quake prone counties. And, of course, most people sleep through them when the quakes happen in the middle of the night.

Duplicate deleted.

I just thought it was strange because I usually *do* feel them when indoors. It would seem that we'd have felt that big one, being right there on the pavement. Then again, maybe being indoors and seeing things move/hearing them rattle gives a better reference point.

I just thought it was strange because I usually *do* feel them when indoors. It would seem that we'd have felt that big one, being right there on the pavement. Then again, maybe being indoors and seeing things move/hearing them rattle gives a better reference point.
    I haven't felt any of them walking outside yet.

19. Default Re: 2016 Earthquake Discussion

I have an ex-wife that lived in Burbank until her early twenties. One of the reasons she moved here was her hatred of earthquakes. She used to tell me about going outside during earthquakes because they were really noticeable inside but not so much outside unless they were pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post

Earthquakes

Historic Earthquakes
    Perhaps my words were a bit loose, but your response is aimed at being misleading. So allow me to be crystal clear:

"A study headed by Scott Ausbrooks, geohazards supervisor for the Arkansas Geological Survey, showed a severe drop in the number of seismic events in the area shortly after the temporary moratorium was put in place March 4. In the 18 days prior to the temporary shutdown of the wells, there were 85 events of 2.5 magnitude or greater, but only 20 in the 18 days after March 4, about a 75 percent drop, he said."

Source:

Permanent disposal-well moratorium issued

The Arkansas Gazette article goes on to state that the temporary moratorium was made permanent after the severe drop in seismic activity.

Your move OKC media.

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    Perhaps my words were a bit loose, but your response is aimed at being misleading. So allow me to be crystal clear:[/B]
    I had no intention at all to be misleading. It was a truthful response to your post, which you admitted was not clear.

Hopefully, all oil companies will comply. With the price of oil so low, there shouldn't be much greed to motivate doing otherwise.

40% reduction. Well, it's a start I suppose.

Alright ljbab728, my bad.

David has an interesting post... does anyone know if that press release or whatever it is from the OCC has any power of law behind it?

Thread Information