Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

from twitter land:

"Southwest Airlines agent says the fuel lines at Midway Airport are frozen, so they can't fuel planes trying to leave."

2. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post
    from twitter land:

"Southwest Airlines agent says the fuel lines at Midway Airport are frozen, so they can't fuel planes trying to leave."
    Well that's not good. However, it isn't like this is cold air that has never been seen before.

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    Well that's not good. However, it isn't like this is cold air that has never been seen before.
    When its this cold the fuel lines can freeze off because of water in the lines that developed from condensation.
    I have helped thaw many frozen hydro-carbon lines.
    Its probably more than anything a personal issue and not knowing enough about how to deal with it in appropriate ways?

4. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    When its this cold the fuel lines can freeze off because of water in the lines that developed from condensation.
    I have helped thaw many frozen hydro-carbon lines.
    Its probably more than anything a personal issue and not knowing enough about how to deal with it in appropriate ways?
    Who knows. If I remember correctly, there isn't any truck refueling at MDW and its all buried lines under the ramp. Everything up there has been a mess for days though. Don't want to get too off topic here, so will stop there.

Just wanted to post this, this is freaking awesome!!! I did not even know this happened. It is apparently called a Tsunami Cloud and it was taken from Lake Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Just wanted to post this, this is freaking awesome!!! I did not even know this happened. It is apparently called a Tsunami Cloud and it was taken from Lake Michigan.

That couldn't have happened in 2014. Those people are wearing shorts!!!!!

Yeah I noticed that. It either had to be taken awhile ago or perhaps it wasn't taken on Lake Michigan, I don't really know. I got it from this page: Atmospheric Phenomena - https://www.facebook.com/Atmospheric.Phenomena

They really have nice pictures and I've been following them since they had 15,000 followers.

Also is this interesting photo of America freezing over...

To our weather guys...I have to travel over to the Poteau area tomorrow for the day, and heading back tomorrow night. I see some reports that there may be freezing rain, sleet for the Eastern Oklahoma, Western Arkansas corridor for that time frame. What are you seeing for that area for tomorrow into tomorrow evening? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Since the beginning of December, it seems all storms do not get established until being east of OK. This has been the pattern for a while now, with a few exceptions. Moisture return and storm track have been unfavorable this winter, thus far.

I think this has to do with ongoing drought conditions in much of W TX and W OK, in addition to overall jetstream patterns.

Looking long range into January, it appears that once again storms are not ramping up until they are just east of the state. We could be in for a dry and rollercoaster temperatured remainder of winter. I was really hoping to get a good snowstorm or two in OK this season, but right now it just doesn't look promising on any front.
    Does this mean you are disagreeing with the forecasts of a fair amount of rain later this week I keep hearing about?

No, I was more talking about winter storms.

This Friday for most of the state looks wet with rain.

Tonight into Thursday looks like chance of light freezing rain over E half of state. Then temperatures warm with the approaching storm system and we get what looks to be a solid rain heading into our Friday.

INCLUDES OKC METRO AREA

Special Weather Statement
    Updated: Wed Jan-08-14 04:35am CST
    Effective: Wed Jan-08-14 04:35am CST
    Expires: Thu Jan-09-14 04:45am CST

Severity: Minor
    Urgency: Expected
    Certainty: Observed

Type: Alert
    Category: Met
    Areas affected: Atoka; Bryan; Canadian; Cleveland; Coal; Garfield; Garvin; Grady; Grant; Hughes; Johnston; Kay; Kingfisher; Lincoln; Logan; McClain; Murray; Noble; Oklahoma; Payne; Pontotoc; Pottawatomie; Seminole

Message summary: ...light freezing rain...drizzle...and fog expected across portions of oklahoma late tonight through early thursday morning...
    Temperatures will fall just below freezing after midnight tonight across most of oklahoma. Colder temperatures...in the twenties...will develop along and north of interstate 40. Freezing drizzle and light freezing rain will be possible from around midnight to just after sunrise thursday morning mainly along and east of interstate 35...and north of a line from around ardmore to atoka. In addition...areas of freezing fog will develop near the same locations. Some of this fog could become dense near sunrise thursday morning. Light ice accumulations from the drizzle...rain...and fog will be possible on elevated surfaces such as bridges and overpasses. This...combined with visibilities of less than one mile at times...may result in hazardous driving conditions across central and eastern oklahoma. Motorists traveling across the region late tonight through early thursday morning should use extreme caution.

New GFS pushes rain mostly east of I35 for Friday. This is what most of the storms have been doing this winter. Right now NAM still keeps it raining over most of the state.

14. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

A nice cold rain now in Norman. Still 5 degrees above freezing so no icing right now...might get some later as temps drop off a bit.

15. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

Venture.... Could you do everything in your power to keep it from starting to freeze until after the KU/OU game tonight? Thanks!

16. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Venture.... Could you do everything in your power to keep it from starting to freeze until after the KU/OU game tonight? Thanks!
    I'm full of a lot of hot air, but not sure that much.

Well, I tried to make it to my hearing in Poteau. Got to Checotah and hit drizzle. The temp was 36. By the time I reached Gore it was 32-33. Kept going. About 6 miles west of Sallisaw, I-40 was all stopped for them to clear a 6 or so car pile up because of icing on the road. I was about to get off at Sallisaw when I got a call from the courthouse telling me to get home. The courthouse in Sallisaw shut down. Carl Albert State College shut down. It was icing up pretty good in that area with it expects to go on all night. I was glad cause I didn't want to try the Wild Horse Mountain pass south of Sallisaw. I've done it in snow and it can be hairy. I'd hate to try it in ice. I went ahead and had a quick lunch before heading back and there was occasional sleet and a few snow flurries, but mostly freezing drizzle. I hated to not get my business done, but I didn't want to get stuck there either.

Winter Wx Advisory tonight from just west of I-35 through east half of state.

NAM is now onboard with GFS in developing the rain east of I-35 for Friday.

19. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

Freezing Fog Advisory for areas west of the existing Winter Wx Advisory. This is for West Central and NW OK until 9AM.

Models still shifting rain east. Looks like once again W and C OK will be missing out.

Long term forecast looks dry and average to slightly above average temps.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Models still shifting rain east. Looks like once again W and C OK will be missing out.

Long term forecast looks dry and average to slightly above average temps.
    Boo!

Quote Originally Posted by FritterGirl View Post
    Boo!
    You are booing above average temperatures in January? I have to ask why? What good comes from below average temperatures? What can anyone who is active do when there is an arctic outbreak? Do those who sit at home and do nothing other than watch tv like the very cold temps? Just very curious. It's always amazed me how people could possibly like the bitter cold. My only conclusion is people who do absolutely nothing outside their home are the only ones who truly like the bitter cold. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by okcboomer View Post
    You are booing above average temperatures in January? I have to ask why? What good comes from below average temperatures? What can anyone who is active do when there is an arctic outbreak? Do those who sit at home and do nothing other than watch tv like the very cold temps? Just very curious. It's always amazed me how people could possibly like the bitter cold. My only conclusion is people who do absolutely nothing outside their home are the only ones who truly like the bitter cold. Am I wrong?
    How do you know she's booing the temps? Many of us are booing the missed moisture.

I DO, however, boo the above-average temperatures as well. What good comes from above-average temps? Earlier growing season only to be ruined by a late freeze? I love snow and cold - easier to dress for cold than it is for warm... only so many layers to take off.

I boo above average temps too. I love winter. I love cold weather. And it not because I sit in the house when it's cold. I love being outside when it's cold. I would love for it to be 15 degrees with 3 feet of snow on the ground. The colder and snowier it is...the better. My best memories of football games are of going when it was super cold. In high school, I was in the band and my best memory was a game when we had to put kerosene in our horns to keep the valves from freezing up. It was a blast. My favorite memory of an OU game was a night game when it was in the low 20's/teens and raining all game. We had a blast. And we didn't even drink.

Were it not for family and ailing parents on both sides, I would move somewhere that is cold weather with lots of snow. But my commitments are here. So, count me as one who boos above average winter temperatures and below average winter precipitation. I even love driving when it is snowy. I'm 54 and have always felt this way. Cold and snow makes me feel like a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by yukong View Post
    I boo above average temps too. I love winter. I love cold weather. And it not because I sit in the house when it's cold. I love being outside when it's cold. I would love for it to be 15 degrees with 3 feet of snow on the ground. The colder and snowier it is...the better. My best memories of football games are of going when it was super cold. In high school, I was in the band and my best memory was a game when we had to put kerosene in our horns to keep the valves from freezing up. It was a blast. My favorite memory of an OU game was a night game when it was in the low 20's/teens and raining all game. We had a blast. And we didn't even drink.

Were it not for family and ailing parents on both sides, I would move somewhere that is cold weather with lots of snow. But my commitments are here. So, count me as one who boos above average winter temperatures and below average winter precipitation. I even love driving when it is snowy. I'm 54 and have always felt this way. Cold and snow makes me feel like a kid.
    I driven through heavy snow at night before. It was a white out. Trying to do that is far from lovable and all stress. At least, I made it back home without running off the road and told myself never again would I do that again and haven't.

Thread Information