Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Egg Group close to announcing 2 new concepts

Default Re: Good Egg Group close to announcing 2 new concepts

Now let's see what else we can get out of "tuck" about Classen Curve.........

Awesome!

Very, very excited about this.

Even the pedestrian Varsity was very popular for years in the same general area, so I bet with Tuck & Co. behind it, Republic will be a smash.

Which building, Tuck? (They are lettered A through M)

Interesting lettered A-M (Aubrey-McClendon) considering he's the one behind this project.

Will you be serving Coop beer?

Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    Great place to watch a game.
    I really hope so tuck. Please do not skip on the amount of and quality of tvs. I am tired of The Sip having the best tvs in town. Although, I am glad they do since I am there often.

Quote Originally Posted by icecold
    Please do not skip on the amount of and quality of tvs.
    Aaaack!! Maybe this needs to be its own thread, but really, enough with the TVs already in restaurants. They're practically inescapable. I realize restauranteurs want to make sure their customers don't miss a moment of the current football/basketball/baseball/softball game, golf or tennis tournament, hockey match, car/horse/dog/bike race, etc., but c'mon. Enough already.

When I want to watch a game, I go to a sports bar. When I go out to dinner, I generally want to have a conversation with the people around me.

I guess the "gastropub" concept - a "pub atmosphere" with better-than-pub food - would attract more the sports bar crowd, but seriously, this city suffers from tv overkill.

Pearl's Graveside really missed the mark with the tvs in their booths. That, plus the redesigned concept really took away from the intimate charm of the old 63rd street location.

I beg you, tuck (and I know Cheevers is largely tv-free), but can we not have one restaurant in this town where we can enjoy a quiet meal away from the idiot box, or have we so declined culturallly that we have to have one around us everywhere we go?

Thank you. Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by FritterGirl View Post
    When I want to watch a game, I go to a sports bar. When I go out to dinner, I generally want to have a conversation with the people around me.

I guess the "gastropub" concept - a "pub atmosphere" with better-than-pub food - would attract more the sports bar crowd, but seriously, this city suffers from tv overkill.

Fritter....I understand what you are saying. I too like to go out and have dinner and good conversation (thats debatable) as well. If you just want conversation then you should probably stick with Cheevers or Iron Starr. However, when I think of a pub I think of pints, fish and chips, other 10,000+ calorie delicious foods and soccer matches. Tuck said it will be "a great place to watch a game," so since he said that I was just asking/hoping that it will be a great place to watch a game and they will have plenty of good, nice tvs. With that being said tuck had me at....."wait until you see the patio."

Most gastropubs I've been to have a few tv's but not overloaded. Soccer games most of the time w/ a foosball table or two. The food was always a step up from the 'normal' pub fair. It was always the European beers that drew me in: Boddington's, Fuller's, Old Speckled Hen, Newcastle, Young's, Tetley, Belhaven, Tennents to name a few. Always on draught always fresh. They also had a couple of rotating cask selections as well. Republic sounds like a place I would frequent.

tuck, you taking notes?

The area is dying for a "great place to watch the game" restaurant to fill the void of the Varsity...

11. Default Re: Good Egg Group close to announcing 2 new concepts

Quote Originally Posted by workman45 View Post
    Will you be serving Coop beer?
    Iron Starr does; it's probably a safe bet Republic will.

Great comments; sounds like the interest is definetly there.
    To answer a few questions:
    1. Pete, Republic will be in building 'D"
    2. Workman, yes, we will have COOP beers on tap along with close to 100 others
    3. OKCMALLEN, we will be open January 2010

Tuck, you say Jan 2010. To put that in perspective, what sort of history do y'all have with hitting your projected open dates?

50/50, which is 99% better than average. Hitting the exact date isn't a big deal to me. We budget to miss it.

As long as you don't try to emulate Laredo's....

Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    we will be open January 2010
    Looking forward to it. My birthday is the 22nd, so I will need a reservation for 8. Try not to miss it. If not I will just have to do what everybody else does and go to Musashis, again.

I will be interested to see how the classic "pub" vibe fits into Classen Curve's more modern aesthetic. IMO, that may be the biggest challenge. The concept of a pub with higher quality food should be a slam dunk.

18. Default Re: Good Egg Group close to announcing 2 new concepts

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    As long as you don't try to emulate Laredo's....

Iron Starr plans Campus Corner store
    by Kelley Chambers
    The Journal Record July 7, 2009

OKLAHOMA CITY – In late 2001 the owners of Hideaway Pizza took a chance on opening a store at Norman’s Campus Corner.

At that time the once-thriving district just north of the University of Oklahoma campus was suffering from low occupancy and was in need of a face-lift.

Judy Hatfield helped lead the charge to buy and renovate properties, and secured funding for public improvements from the city and by establishing a tax increment financing district.

Today property owners can be choosy about the tenants that come to the area.

Keith Paul hopes the success of restaurants at Campus Corner will continue for his Iron Starr Urban BBQ. Paul, co-owner of A Good Egg Dining Group, opened Iron Starr in Oklahoma City in 2002.

Hatfield said with many restaurant owners vying to move to Campus Corner, she is looking for an eclectic mix without a saturation of restaurants.

“We’re keeping with the old retail concept so we have a good balance,” she said. “Iron Starr has a great reputation and it’s a type of food we didn’t have.”

Iron Starr is set to open in late September in the old Harold’s outlet space at 575 S. University Blvd.

The building is owned by Rainey Powell and his family. Powell’s father was Harold Powell, founder of the Harold’s stores.

Powell said as he leases space in the area he looks for unique restaurants to appeal to college students and the community. In September a Chipotle restaurant is also slated to open at Campus Corner.

“At this point we need to be careful about new restaurants we bring in,” he said. “We don’t need another pizza place or another hamburger place. Some of those areas are adequately covered.”

Conrad Buchner, Oklahoma City-area district manager for Hideaway, said he has been pleased with the restaurants that have come to Campus Corner because they give diners an array of options. The increased foot traffic has also helped Hideaway maintain its sales.

“It’s been a good consistent store,” Buchner said.

Hatfield said a few leases are in the works that will take up most of the remaining space. Campus Corner has 237,423 square feet of space.

“We’ve got a waiting list because we don’t have much available,” she said.

“That’s a great problem to have.”

Paul hopes Campus Corner will be a successful spot for his first expansion of Iron Starr. The average check per person is about $10, which Paul said has kept business strong even as many consumers cut back on eating out. If successful in Norman, Paul said he hopes to open additional Iron Starr stores in the next two years.

“Iron Starr is our growth vehicle,” he said. “Even with the economy, we feel it can still attract customers with consistent menu pricing.”

http://journalrecord.com/article.cfm?recid=100292

20. Default Re: Good Egg Group close to announcing 2 new concepts

Tuck, any word on Republic?

Republic is opening in January. Keep an eye out for the Pops66 bus this Sunday. Tuck got it the other day and I believe is taking it out to Bricktown on Sunday! I HIGHLY suspect he'll be peddling some "sample fare" for the possible upcoming Republic menu. I know he's been experimenting with burgers recently for the upcoming Republic. Would be a great way to test them out....

Metro, the POPS Truck is being picked up next week; ready for service sometime in October. Only POPS fare on that verhicle.

Republic is still set for January opening. The menu tastings have been going really well. Stay tuned for more info. Twitter: @republicokc

Ahh, I thought you picked it up on Wednesday and were going to be out this Sunday.

ummm. . . .sources checking on you, metro??

Hey, Tuck, How about a Local Table in Oklahoma City???? I'd so love that!

Thread Information