Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: General Weather Discussion - March 2014

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - March 2014

Arctic temps are moving into the NW/NC parts of OK, and radar is starting to show light precip echoes along/NE of the Red River that might head toward central OK over the next few hours...I'm sure Venture and/or Anon will clarify this, but the precip hitting the inbound cold air will almost certainly freeze. Good thing surface temps are probably still warm enough to prevent immediate icing, but be careful out there!!!!

By 11:30 we were iced over in far SW OKC. I let the dogs out and one fell on the slick patio. The grass is stiff and frozen.

The Kilpatrick wasa LIL slick on my way home but I made it back just fine. Not saying tomorrow morning won't be trecherous.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

4. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - March 2014

This should be a fun drive home in an hour.

I just drove from tinker area to Norman. Roads are EXTREMELY slick, especially in OKC. The concrete roads are not as bad, but asphalt/blacktop roads are pure death. Wish I was exaggerating. Saw an idiot spin out and crash up over the curb at 89th and Sooner. If you are out tonight, BE CAREFUL. (If you're out drinking, don't even try to drive. Just remember to put the keys in the trunk on case you sleep in your car so you don't get in trouble!!).

STAY SAFE!!!

I actually drove back from Dallas and got home around 11:30, thinking I would miss the worst part of the storm by traveling tonight instead of tomorrow. And the roads were already pretty bad. I-35 started turning slick just north of Purcell but was pretty much an ice rink right around Norman. The bridges and curves are deceptively slick despite appearing dry and I saw two pretty bad rollovers in Moore. I definitely was having a "pucker" moment driving my rear wheel drive sports car with summer tires over some extremely icy bridges on the Ft. Smith Junction, made worse by all the idiots who felt the need to tailgate me. Best advice: just stay home and warm.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    I actually drove back from Dallas and got home around 11:30, thinking I would miss the worst part of the storm by traveling tonight instead of tomorrow. And the roads were already pretty bad. I-35 started turning slick just north of Purcell but was pretty much an ice rink right around Norman. The bridges and curves are deceptively slick despite appearing dry and I saw two pretty bad rollovers in Moore. I definitely was having a "pucker" moment driving my rear wheel drive sports car with summer tires over some extremely icy bridges on the Ft. Smith Junction, made worse by all the idiots who felt the need to tailgate me. Best advice: just stay home and warm.
    If it makes you feel better the guy I saw crash was tailgating me (in my RWD sports car) with his lights off, so I honked at him and flashed my lights as he sped past. Then I saw him crashed a 1/4 mile later. Idiot.

8. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - March 2014

Quote Originally Posted by pw405 View Post
    If it makes you feel better the guy I saw crash was tailgating me (in my RWD sports car) with his lights off, so I honked at him and flashed my lights as he sped past. Then I saw him crashed a 1/4 mile later. Idiot.
    Some people are just complete tools out there. I maintained roughly 30-35 the entire way home tonight. Of course you have the manly men in their big trucks doing 50+ still and then cocky boys in their little coupes trying to keep up. Had a couple go by me on I-35 in S OKC doing probably 55-60 easily. I saw both of them face first into the median in front of the Warren. I bet I got home before they did tonight, and I probably lived further away.

Quote Originally Posted by pw405 View Post
    LOL...serves him right. I never understood why people feel the need to NOT have their headlights on in these conditions. That is something that happens more often than not here.

Bad out there. I'm glad I didn't know you guys were in it.

11. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - March 2014

Conditions are going to start getting increasing worse across the metro as heavier precip and possible storms move up from SW OK into the Metro. Radar also indicating some hail or heavy sleet out by the Holdenville area. There has been a mPING report of pea sized hail our near Altus.

Venture, that report just made me colder. And I'm snug as a bug in my house

13. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - March 2014

HRRR Projected snowfall amounts - keep in mind these are going to vary with sleet/graupel/hail mixing in.

This is definitely one of the coolest events I can remember. This is the morning sounding from Norman, and we are getting SNOW with it:

The snow is actually forming in the boundary layer beneath the warm air, and we now have strong thunderstorms forming aloft in the elevated instability that then have their rain freeze in the cold layer. There was even a severe t-storm warning out in MO for quarter-sized hail and copious amounts of sleet. This is pretty wild.

15. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - March 2014

The nice fluffy snow flakes just vanished in SE Norman and it is mostly sleet now. All of this is moving NE right now so conditions are going to get pretty terrible.

16. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - March 2014

17. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - March 2014

#OUN extends area of Winter Storm Warning for Dewey, Garfield, Major [OK] till 12:00 AM CST

Can't believe that we can get anything but snow at 12 degrees. Crazy storm.

Thundering here in Central OKC now with sleet. Pretty nuts!

THUNDERSLEET! Far SW OKC. And, whoa - Lightning!!'

21. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - March 2014

Half inch hail reported new Newcastle earlier, quarters in Altus. Strong storm getting ready to move into Lawton.

Latest NAM creams central OK.

This is looking like major bust up north in KS where originally there were forecasts of 8-10 inches around C to NE KS and into MO.

Looking at the radar trends in NW TX and SW/C OK. The wrap around convection is connecting to the bands of thundersleet and snow that are ongoing. A lot of development down towards Chilldress to Lubbock to Amarillo. This will all swing around and up into W OK into C and N OK.

Barons and Thunder with home games today, might be looking at record low crowds

This is just crazy, really coming down

Changing over to mostly snow now in N OKC.

Thread Information