Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

The owner of the business I work for was saying she heard some weather guys saying that upcoming cold air (late January/early February) would be cold air unseen or felt by anyone younger than 40 years. Can't wait!!

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    The owner of the business I work for was saying she heard some weather guys saying that upcoming cold air (late January/early February) would be cold air unseen or felt by anyone younger than 40 years. Can't wait!!
    3 to 4 weeks from now? Not sure how accurate that can be but if it stays dry during that time then bring it on

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    3 to 4 weeks from now? Not sure how accurate that can be but if it stays dry during that time then bring it on
    Don't kill the messenger, lol. I'll be laughing myself if we are in the 50s.

4. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

Winter Wx Advisory for the northern 2 rows of counties. Nothing major at all and probably isn't really advisory criteria.

HARPER-WOODS-ALFALFA-GRANT-KAY-ELLIS-WOODWARD-MAJOR-GARFIELD-
    NOBLE-
    INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BUFFALO...ALVA...CHEROKEE...MEDFORD...
    PONCA CITY...ARNETT...WOODWARD...FAIRVIEW...ENID...PERRY
    1122 AM CST SAT JAN 4 2014

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO
    6 AM CST SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NORMAN HAS ISSUED A WINTER
    WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS
    EVENING TO 6 AM CST SUNDAY.

* TIMING: SNOW IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN THIS EVENING AND LAST THROUGH
    THE OVERNIGHT HOURS.

* MAIN IMPACT: ACCUMULATIONS AROUND AN INCH ARE POSSIBLE
    ESPECIALLY CLOSE TO THE KANSAS BORDER. THIS MAY CAUSE SOME
    SLICK AND HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS LATE TONIGHT AND SUNDAY
    MORNING.

* OTHER IMPACTS: GUSTY NORTH WINDS WILL CREATE AREAS OF REDUCED
    VISIBILITIES IN BLOWING SNOW. THE WINDS AND COLDER AIR WILL ALSO
    CREATE WIND CHILL VALUES CLOSE TO ZERO LATE TONIGHT.

5. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    It's an article on HuffPost. Something about an "arctic vortex" or something. The meteorologist who said that is from Florida. And I don't think it was supposed to be 3-4 weeks out, probably sooner than that. We'll see what happens.
    Still corrupting young minds

6. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

Quote Originally Posted by bandnerd View Post
    It's an article on HuffPost. Something about an "arctic vortex" or something. The meteorologist who said that is from Florida. And I don't think it was supposed to be 3-4 weeks out, probably sooner than that. We'll see what happens.
    Same story in the DOK today as well. It is all a matter of perspective. I think the score and size of the air mass is noteworthy. The actual values won't be earth shattering in many areas - definitely not here.

Yep, it's headed your way...we are expecting about 5" of snow here in Aurora today and some more tomorrow and are supposed to be on the back edge of the real cold weather. The low is expected to get down to -5 tonight.

This was taken this morning about 10:00.....

I would to have a big snow fall in okc.

But what's coming is not going to amount to much. Tonight's OKC forecast:

A 30 percent chance of snow after midnight. Partly cloudy early, then becoming cloudy, with a low around 19. Windy, with a north wind 23 to 26 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph. Total night time snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Garin View Post
    I would to have a big snow fall in okc.
    Bite your tongue.

11. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

I am just wanting to say I hate our weather. We go some years and it's so mild there is almost no winter. This year it seems there has been one arctic front right after another. I hate the cold, and just can't get my body used to the really cold temps. I'm hoping that winter goes by really fast and spring weather comes back. I can't wait.

12. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerQueen View Post
    I am just wanting to say I hate our weather. We go some years and it's so mild there is almost no winter. This year it seems there has been one arctic front right after another. I hate the cold, and just can't get my body used to the really cold temps. I'm hoping that winter goes by really fast and spring weather comes back. I can't wait.
    The problem isn't the cold so much as the temp doesn't stabilize and keeps doing the roller coaster. Trust me, if it would get cold and stay there...your body would get accustom to it and there wouldn't be any issue.

This snow in NC OK right now is heavy.

Looks like C OK will get some swung around later tonight/early morning. Should be much lighter, but then again the stuff out there right now is heavier than forecasted.

14. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    This snow in NC OK right now is heavy.

Looks like C OK will get some swung around later tonight/early morning. Should be much lighter, but then again the stuff out there right now is heavier than forecasted.
    A flurry here and there every now and then here in Norman, but nothing like the near foot back home is going to get. LOL Here is what HRRR is tossing out for tonight...

It's been snowing enough in Stillwater for the past hour to lightly coat streets white, with more snow on the radar coming in. Forecast has less than an inch to fall. Still well under that.

From the looks of the snow in Stillwater, more than just a dusting, I had been surprised that the NWS hadn't extended its winter advisory to more counties to the south. But it just did. It now includes Blaine; Custer; Dewey; Kingfisher; Logan and Payne Counties until 7 am Sunday.

Message summary: ...winter weather advisory in effect until 7 am cst this morning...
    The national weather service in norman has issued a winter weather advisory for snow...which is in effect until 7 am cst this morning.
    * timing: the heaviest snow is expected from around 2 to 4 am. The snow will end from west to east overnight. Lingering flurries will be possible after sunrise.
    * main impact: accumulations around an inch or 2 are possible. This will result in slick and hazardous driving conditions.
    * other impacts: gusty north winds will create areas of reduced visibilities in blowing snow. The winds and colder air will also create wind chill values close to zero.

Blowing snow coming in pretty good in north Norman at the moment.

This is what it looks like in NW OKC as of 4:25 this morning:

OK... quit sending that cold crap down here. It was 70 yesterday and 30 today WTH

View of the west side of OSU. Temp around 19.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    No changes really, still plan on it being extremely cold early next week, chance of light snow showers really anywhere in the state (Sat. night into SUnday), but the more concentrated stuff looks to get cranking in NE OK heading into MO. Right now STL looks to be in the bullseye spot.

Precip chances really start going up heading into late in the week. Right now it looks like rain.
    Facebook weather guru saying he isn't buying the warm up shown by computer models so might be looking at winter precip late this week...Any thoughts on his assessment?

Give the NWS more time to change it's mind. It has revised tonight's low down from 10 to 4, possibly to allow for more snow on the ground than was previously thought. But Tuesday's high still the same at 43.

So . . . It was 7-deg. this am. Here's a shot taken at Lake Hefner when it was about 90-deg. warmer.

It helps to warm me up and put things in perspective.

(I hate cold weather. Almost as much as I hate anything over 90. =)
    (My "comfort zone" is between 42-deg. and 80-deg. which make me a wuss.)

Every time I hear how cold it is up at International Falls, or Duluth, Minnesota, I think how tough people must be up in Dog River, Canada.
    Or even up around Possum Lodge.

Since the beginning of December, it seems all storms do not get established until being east of OK. This has been the pattern for a while now, with a few exceptions. Moisture return and storm track have been unfavorable this winter, thus far.

I think this has to do with ongoing drought conditions in much of W TX and W OK, in addition to overall jetstream patterns.

Looking long range into January, it appears that once again storms are not ramping up until they are just east of the state. We could be in for a dry and rollercoaster temperatured remainder of winter. I was really hoping to get a good snowstorm or two in OK this season, but right now it just doesn't look promising on any front.

25. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

I was noticing the same thing, which is why nothing has been posted about the next few storms - that all get going once they pass OK. Though the 12Z GFS does seem to bring in a good round of rain on Friday...but still too warm for any snow.

Thread Information