Widgets Magazine
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City Thunder 2021-22 season

Blog Entries

Thunder Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2021-22 season

Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2021-22 season

Excited to see what Chet can become. As I've done a bit more research I am increasingly excited by Jalen Williams (the 12th pick out of Santa Clara). He is a really crafty player with a good shot. I don't see it at all with Ousmane Dieng (much less giving up three 1sts) or Jalin Williams (he looks like a worse JRE to me?), but we'll see. I've been wrong plenty of other times. This next year should be fun seeing all these young guys develop.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Excited to see what Chet can become. As I've done a bit more research I am increasingly excited by Jalen Williams (the 12th pick out of Santa Clara). He is a really crafty player with a good shot. I don't see it at all with Ousmane Dieng (much less giving up three 1sts) or Jalin Williams (he looks like a worse JRE to me?), but we'll see. I've been wrong plenty of other times. This next year should be fun seeing all these young guys develop.
    I'm really excited to see what Jalen Williams will do. His buzz started to grow right before the draft, so it hadn't had a chance to fully gather steam and peak.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

2022 NBA Draft results: Picks 1-58: https://www.nba.com/news/2022-nba-draft-order

7. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2021-22 season

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    The Thunder are tanking next season. We’re not winning playing all these young guys. But it should be really fun to watch still.
    I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities that they are fighting for the play in tournament. I think that's a realistic goal

8. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2021-22 season

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities that they are fighting for the play in tournament. I think that's a realistic goal
    Of the following teams in the West, who do you think they will finish ahead of? They would have to finish ahead of 3 of them?
    Phoenix
    GSW
    Memphis
    Dallas
    Utah
    Denver
    San Antonio
    Clippers
    Lakers
    Portland
    Minnesota
    NOLA

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Of the following teams in the West, who do you think they will finish ahead of? They would have to finish ahead of 3 of them?
    Phoenix
    GSW
    Memphis
    Dallas
    Utah
    Denver
    San Antonio
    Clippers
    Lakers
    Portland
    Minnesota
    NOLA
    100% finish ahead of San Antonio since they are going full tank this season. I'd also say good chance to finish ahead of NOLA, Utah, and Portland, depending on their moves in the offseason. There's a good chance Utah blows things up. While Portland has added Grant, they'll need a lot more to return to their former self. The real question to me is do we want to finish 8th/9th and make a play-in and more than likely go out in the first round or do we tank again to get another chance at high lottery pick? Presti's answer to that is they will determine if we are capable of winning games of consequence throughout the first half of the season and if it's clear we can't, then we tank.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    100% finish ahead of San Antonio since they are going full tank this season. I'd also say good chance to finish ahead of NOLA, Utah, and Portland, depending on their moves in the offseason. There's a good chance Utah blows things up. While Portland has added Grant, they'll need a lot more to return to their former self. The real question to me is do we want to finish 8th/9th and make a play-in and more than likely go out in the first round or do we tank again to get another chance at high lottery pick? Presti's answer to that is they will determine if we are capable of winning games of consequence throughout the first half of the season and if it's clear we can't, then we tank.
    Minnesota does a good job of screwing up a successful team. I think A-Rod will follow that path for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    I agree that it's possible if that was the goal of the organization, but that would mean not giving major minutes to projects like Ousmane Dieng. Rookies rarely contribute to winning and the Thunder will likely be playing four rookies and four 2nd year players. I think the Thunder will prioritize development over wins and that'll keep them out of play-in contention. As long as we keep SGA then I think this may be the last season where development is the primary priority. Still, I think this season will be really fun with all these young guys.

The proof may be in the pudding. Presti traded 3 protected first round picks (Knicks) for next years draft for this years #11 pick. The Thunder is loaded with first round picks through 2027. If we can compete then probably no tank. It will be interesting to say the least.

13. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2021-22 season

To all who think the Thunder will be competitive please give me an example of a team that made the playoffs while giving major minutes to 3 rookies and two sophs. This year will be about developing players and team chemistry. Hopefully '23-'24 will be about competing for the playoffs.

14. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2021-22 season

Presti has all but said that next year will be another tank. There's no reason to make the playoffs if they don't expect to go all the way. We'll see another year of the same, with hopefully another haul in the lottery.

Competitive for what? No way will we be competitive in playoffs, but I think there's a chance we could make it to the play-in, given the dynamics of the league this year. Several teams will pivot to tanking and some are going to underperform (a la the Clippers last year due to injury and the Lakers due to team makeup and injury). Strategically, playing for the playoffs would be stupid in my opinion because 1) we won't be competitive and 2) it would cost us a chance at a potentially high pick in a loaded draft that will, combined with our picks this year, set the course of the franchise for the foreseeable future.

If we could get the #1 pick next year....oh my. Then we'd get to look forward to the anxiety of potentially have four max-level players demanding major contracts. A problem I would absolutely love to have.

Every team plays to win the championship. Anyone that plays or played sports and is/was serious about it played to win every game.

Blog Entries

These four draftees will be competitive; our G-League will be on a fast track to elevate these guys to the Thunder's roster (14 spots, Presti usually leaves one open). You also see a lot of 10 day contracts if players are not working out.

Keep Dort on the roster; his defensive prowess will be the summit of the measuring stick. Don't be surprised if more guys are injured in practice than on the playing court.

It will also make the current roster work even harder to secure their positions. We'll see how badly these guys want to up the ante on making money to put their families in a comfort zone.

18. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2021-22 season

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    Every team plays to win the championship. Anyone that plays or played sports and is/was serious about it played to win every game.
    Do you follow the NBA or NFL? The bottom third of the league is certainly not playing to win a championship, but alternatively tanking to get a better pick in the next draft.

They need to tank next year for the #1 pick, Victor Wembanyama. He is widely regarded as the best prospect since Lebron. There is no point in hoping to possibly play into the 8th seed. They need to play the young guys for experience and hope to get the #1 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    One of the biggest misperceptions is that players "tank." That's not the case. Thunder players always try. Almost all "tanking" is really just the team allowing young players to develop instead of making win-now moves. The last two seasons OKC has intensified "tanking" at the end of the season by calling up G-League players and giving them huge minutes. But all of these players are trying to win and sometimes do.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    It will also make the current roster work even harder to secure their positions. We'll see how badly these guys want to up the ante on making money to put their families in a comfort zone.
    Bingo. None of the players are tanking. Their careers are on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    Presti has all but said that next year will be another tank. There's no reason to make the playoffs if they don't expect to go all the way. We'll see another year of the same, with hopefully another haul in the lottery.
    Ticket sales is actually a pretty good reason to be competitive

22. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2021-22 season

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Ticket sales is actually a pretty good reason to be competitive
    Luckily Presti and the ownership have not taken such a short sighted approach. They don't want to just make the playoffs, they want to contend for championships. Sam could've easily added a couple of pieces and made the playoffs the last 2 seasons. Instead we've added 8 young players, many of whom will be a strong foundation for future championship runs.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Luckily Presti and the ownership have not taken such a short sighted approach. They don't want to just make the playoffs, they want to contend for championships. Sam could've easily added a couple of pieces and made the playoffs the last 2 seasons. Instead we've added 8 young players, many of whom will be a strong foundation for future championship runs.
    They gave us a free club level game last year to try to get us to renew. They want butts in the house.

Blog Entries

The 2020-21 Season dealt a blow to the Thunder season tickets and base supporters as well as the NBA.

The quickest way to replenish that base is to get butts back in those seats. MAPS 4: Paycom Center & related facilities ($115 million) is also undergoing $105 million in fan friendly upgrades to the arena and Related $10 million to remodel the Thunder NBA practice facility. Don't know the status of those projects other than they have started to replace seats in Paycom Center.

MAPS 4 includes $105 million for several phases of improvements to the 20-year-old downtown arena and $10 million for improvements to a practice facility on North Oklahoma Avenue. The new amenities and improvements are designed to enhance the guest experience at Oklahoma City Thunder NBA games and other live entertainment events. Initial improvements include $4 million to replace seats in the lower, middle and upper bowls.--City council approved March 15, 2022
    Ready for the 2022-23 season to begin...

Blog Entries

$19 million Thunder practice facility was State of the Art

when it opened in 2012. . .

. . . Decade later, it's ready for $10 million renovation

The G-League Practice facility in Edmond, original facility built for the Thunder will have to be shared
    until the renovations are completed to the Integris Thunder Practice Facility on Britton & Broadway.

Thread Information