Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paying for Sunday TV Guide?

Default Paying for Sunday TV Guide?

Let me know if I've missed another thread with this topic but why do we have to pay for the Sunday TV Guide now? Anyone have the scoop on this?

Default Re: Paying for Sunday TV Guide?

I have subscribed to the paper for nearly 50 years and my annual payment is due. When I called them about the TV schedule issue I was told a bunch of hogwash and when I told them that I thought I would just not reup after all these years if that was the way it was. It didn't seem to bother them one iota. I will just use http://www.tvguide.com/listings/ instead. I will miss my Sunday morning ritual but I hated the way they are bullying us into paying extra for a friggin' TV schedule. Sorry, Steve, I will miss you, so I am especially glad you are here.

Quote Originally Posted by USG'60 View Post
    I have subscribed to the paper for nearly 50 years and my annual payment is due. When I called them about the TV schedule issue I was told a bunch of hogwash and when I told them that I thought I would just not reup after all these years if that was the way it was. It didn't seem to bother them one iota. I will just use http://www.tvguide.com/listings/ instead. I will miss my Sunday morning ritual but I hated the way they are bullying us into paying extra for a friggin' TV schedule. Sorry, Steve, I will miss you, so I am especially glad you are here.
    The Sunday Dallas Morning News did this about a month ago. $.75 a week for the friggin' TV guide? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by skyrick View Post
    The Sunday Dallas Morning News did this about a month ago. $.75 a week for the friggin' TV guide? I think not.
    Especially silly since you can get the "real" TV Guide magazine for way cheaper than that - they're currently advertising $0.29/issue if you sub for 56 issues (some issues are for 2 weeks, so it's not for 56 weeks) for $16.50 and there's so much more in it than in the Sunday paper TV guides. No, not affiliated w/TV Guide mag at all, just a satisfied subscriber.

5. Default Re: Paying for Sunday TV Guide?

My reply would be "you know there's an app for that!"

Newspapers are as dead as doornails...now the vultures are circling in a desperate attempt to get that last bite...

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkross View Post
    Newspapers are as dead as doornails...now the vultures are circling in a desperate attempt to get that last bite...
    I'll subscribe to home delivered, hard copy news as long as it's offered.

Quote Originally Posted by skyrick View Post
    I'll subscribe to home delivered, hard copy news as long as it's offered.
    I believe in supporting the industry locally...I worked in it for a number of years...but--it is--in fact--dead as a doornail.

I won't pay for the newspaper, and haven't for well over a year. Do they think I'm actually going to pay for a tv guide??

Just one more nail in their coffin....

I believe in supporting the industry locally...I worked in it for a number of years...but--it is--in fact--dead as a doornail.
    I think you and I have had this same discussion several times, jmark. I don't believe I need to tell you again how I feel. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I think you and I have had this same discussion several times, jmark. I don't believe I need to tell you again how I feel. LOL
    Somehow--I missed how this post by me was aimed at you?....LOL

Somehow--I missed how this post by me was aimed at you?....LOL
    You should know how I love my paper. I always take it personal. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    You should know how I love my paper. I always take it personal. LOL
    I love newspapers as well...they are a part of history...I admired Benjamin Franklin all my life...but--times change. I have been involved with the print media all my life...think I like to see it go? Typography is one of my greatest skills...know it like the back of my hand. BUT--it is no great thing to watch people be doltish and bury their head in the sand. You HAVE to morph...and holding a snippy stupid thing like a webcam on a building being built as your "sales tool" for subscriptions is the picture of incompetence--to a degree that is literally breath-taking. If they happen to fail--it will be of their own doing. Rest assured someone with better ideas and more business savvy will fill in the void--however configured...

14. Default Re: Paying for Sunday TV Guide?

Today's Internet culture is free - free - free. Today's newspapers are facing an unprecedented financial crunch. Charging for the TV guide is seen as another source of revenue in an industry under siege. I can't fathom that guide not being worth .75 a week. I know this puts me in an obvious minority here - but so be it. There are many things we have to pay for that used to be free. Air, anyone? The list is long. To pay .75 a week for a quick paper TV guide reference is worth it to me, but I'm old school. I fail to understand how people think we can sustain a culture of everyone expecting the same services without cost increases and comparing the printed TV guide to free Internet-based services. Something for nothing can be addictive but it doesn't mean we should expect it for everything. Something has to give somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    Today's Internet culture is free - free - free. Today's newspapers are facing an unprecedented financial crunch. Charging for the TV guide is seen as another source of revenue in an industry under siege. I can't fathom that guide not being worth .75 a week. I know this puts me in an obvious minority here - but so be it. There are many things we have to pay for that used to be free. Air, anyone? The list is long. To pay .75 a week for a quick paper TV guide reference is worth it to me, but I'm old school. I fail to understand how people think we can sustain a culture of everyone expecting the same services without cost increases and comparing the printed TV guide to free Internet-based services. Something for nothing can be addictive but it doesn't mean we should expect it for everything. Something has to give somewhere.
    I semi-agree, but I wonder how $0.75/issue is justified when you can get a full-color TV Guide magazine with *way* more content for just a little over a third of that price.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    I semi-agree, but I wonder how $0.75/issue is justified when you can get a full-color TV Guide magazine with *way* more content for just a little over a third of that price.
    Of course...TV Guide, the magazine, does not have local listings. Thanks a lot!

17. Default Re: Paying for Sunday TV Guide?

I love newspapers as well...they are a part of history...I admired Benjamin Franklin all my life...but--times change. I have been involved with the print media all my life...think I like to see it go? Typography is one of my greatest skills...know it like the back of my hand. BUT--it is no great thing to watch people be doltish and bury their head in the sand. You HAVE to morph...and holding a snippy stupid thing like a webcam on a building being built as your "sales tool" for subscriptions is the picture of incompetence--to a degree that is literally breath-taking. If they happen to fail--it will be of their own doing. Rest assured someone with better ideas and more business savvy will fill in the void--however configured...
    It's not a sales-tool for subscriptions at all, but clearly you don't care what I've got to say on this.
    I was involved in setting up the webcam. There were agreements that had to take place to make it happen. It's restriction to subscribers had nothing to do with circulation, etc. Now you can go back and declare my job doomed, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    It's not a sales-tool for subscriptions at all, but clearly you don't care what I've got to say on this.
    I was involved in setting up the webcam. There were agreements that had to take place to make it happen. It's restriction to subscribers had nothing to do with circulation, etc. Now you can go back and declare my job doomed, etc.
    Steve--you are a very nice guy--and you an extremely good journalist in my opinion. But--the CIA big-secret crap about the webcam is just mindless. If there are $700 million dollar SAG/AFTRA commitments with MGM and Universal...well...

Your job is not doomed. Hell...everyone in every kind of business has been thrown down the stairs and had to find another angle to their profession. I had to many times...but--I can tell you this. Every single time I came out better and progressed in my field and made more money. It is the bumps that push you to the top--not the longevity in one office. Trust me on this.

You have your time and skills to sell to the world...if the Oklahoman is not able to use them properly--someone else will.

19. Default Re: Paying for Sunday TV Guide?

I use this as my solution:

http://tv.yahoo.com/listings

Once you set it up with your location, it takes pretty good care of you.

Of course...TV Guide, the magazine, does not have local listings. Thanks a lot!
    True, but with a computer, you've got them. If you don't have a computer or an on-screen guide, then you'll just have to be perpetually in the dark about what's on the local channels (but not really, since they do carry the listings of the national networks of the local affiliates, just not the local shows) unless you subscribe to the way-overpriced newspaper guide.

21. Default Re: Paying for Sunday TV Guide?

Steve--you are a very nice guy--and you an extremely good journalist in my opinion. But--the CIA big-secret crap about the webcam is just mindless. If there are $700 million dollar SAG/AFTRA commitments with MGM and Universal...well...[/I][/B]
    Jmark, either you think I'm a liar or you don't. I really wish I could explain all the challenges that were involved in setting that webcam up. But I KNOW it wasn't related to sales or circulation. It was not an Oklahoman business decision. If you still think I'm lying, so be it. I do not lie. And I stand behind what I say, my name out there for all to see.

22. Default Re: Paying for Sunday TV Guide?

Jmark, either you think I'm a liar or you don't. I really wish I could explain all the challenges that were involved in setting that webcam up. But I KNOW it wasn't related to sales or circulation. It was not an Oklahoman business decision. If you still think I'm lying, so be it. I do not lie. And I stand behind what I say, my name out there for all to see.
    Steve, It's probably been a long week, but focus on the positives from his post. He said some mighty nice things!

23. Default Re: Paying for Sunday TV Guide?

Yeah, I know. You're right Mike. And I will readily admit, I'm a bit raw this week. Please realize, I worked very hard on the webcam, the subscriber wall was not my idea, but rather was the only way to make it happen and not lose months of work on the project. So the commentary on it hits me directly. I have a great appreciation for Jmark's knowledge of our history, what he's seen, what he can teach us. Not sure I appreciate the gloom and doom predictions. I wish all of you realized that these cuts aren't limited to the newspaper; it's been happening with television news as well (radio news, meanwhile, is a walking zombie).
    Jmark, please accept my apology.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    True, but with a computer, you've got them. If you don't have a computer or an on-screen guide, then you'll just have to be perpetually in the dark about what's on the local channels (but not really, since they do carry the listings of the national networks of the local affiliates, just not the local shows) unless you subscribe to the way-overpriced newspaper guide.
    I use the AOL listings--gotten by provider and zip code--free. It works wonderfully...and is always as handy as your computer happens to be to you.

http://tvlistings.aol.com/listings/ok/

Never would think of you as lying Steve. Just think someone should know who the miscreant is who thinks they can hold civic developments hostage. I suspect the location is controlled by some nefarious source--and I find that un-civic-minded and onerous. It's not like it's the most difficult thing in the world to accomplish--someone is working on using the Chase Tower somehow--the best, by far, choice--and it will happen. My only complaint with any of all of this is--it's a tiny project--a small damn webcam for God's sake...becomes so delicate. Big cities just should never be involved in such petty gambits.

Thread Information