Widgets Magazine

Thread: Paying for Sunday TV Guide?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Paying for Sunday TV Guide?

Let me know if I've missed another thread with this topic but why do we have to pay for the Sunday TV Guide now? Anyone have the scoop on this?

Default Re: Paying for Sunday TV Guide?

I have subscribed to the paper for nearly 50 years and my annual payment is due. When I called them about the TV schedule issue I was told a bunch of hogwash and when I told them that I thought I would just not reup after all these years if that was the way it was. It didn't seem to bother them one iota. I will just use http://www.tvguide.com/listings/ instead. I will miss my Sunday morning ritual but I hated the way they are bullying us into paying extra for a friggin' TV schedule. Sorry, Steve, I will miss you, so I am especially glad you are here.

Quote Originally Posted by USG'60 View Post
    I have subscribed to the paper for nearly 50 years and my annual payment is due. When I called them about the TV schedule issue I was told a bunch of hogwash and when I told them that I thought I would just not reup after all these years if that was the way it was. It didn't seem to bother them one iota. I will just use http://www.tvguide.com/listings/ instead. I will miss my Sunday morning ritual but I hated the way they are bullying us into paying extra for a friggin' TV schedule. Sorry, Steve, I will miss you, so I am especially glad you are here.
    The Sunday Dallas Morning News did this about a month ago. $.75 a week for the friggin' TV guide? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by skyrick View Post
    The Sunday Dallas Morning News did this about a month ago. $.75 a week for the friggin' TV guide? I think not.
    Especially silly since you can get the "real" TV Guide magazine for way cheaper than that - they're currently advertising $0.29/issue if you sub for 56 issues (some issues are for 2 weeks, so it's not for 56 weeks) for $16.50 and there's so much more in it than in the Sunday paper TV guides. No, not affiliated w/TV Guide mag at all, just a satisfied subscriber.

5. Default Re: Paying for Sunday TV Guide?

My reply would be "you know there's an app for that!"

Newspapers are as dead as doornails...now the vultures are circling in a desperate attempt to get that last bite...

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkross View Post
    Newspapers are as dead as doornails...now the vultures are circling in a desperate attempt to get that last bite...
    I'll subscribe to home delivered, hard copy news as long as it's offered.

I believe in supporting the industry locally...I worked in it for a number of years...but--it is--in fact--dead as a doornail.

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkross View Post
    I believe in supporting the industry locally...I worked in it for a number of years...but--it is--in fact--dead as a doornail.
    I think you and I have had this same discussion several times, jmark. I don't believe I need to tell you again how I feel. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I think you and I have had this same discussion several times, jmark. I don't believe I need to tell you again how I feel. LOL
    Somehow--I missed how this post by me was aimed at you?....LOL

I would to, if they still offered it. However after more than 50 years as a subscriber (and four of those were as a staff member) I've cancelled!

I won't pay for the newspaper, and haven't for well over a year. Do they think I'm actually going to pay for a tv guide??

Just one more nail in their coffin....

13. Default Re: Paying for Sunday TV Guide?

I use this as my solution:

http://tv.yahoo.com/listings

Once you set it up with your location, it takes pretty good care of you.

14. Default Re: Paying for Sunday TV Guide?

Yeah, I know. You're right Mike. And I will readily admit, I'm a bit raw this week. Please realize, I worked very hard on the webcam, the subscriber wall was not my idea, but rather was the only way to make it happen and not lose months of work on the project. So the commentary on it hits me directly. I have a great appreciation for Jmark's knowledge of our history, what he's seen, what he can teach us. Not sure I appreciate the gloom and doom predictions. I wish all of you realized that these cuts aren't limited to the newspaper; it's been happening with television news as well (radio news, meanwhile, is a walking zombie).
    Jmark, please accept my apology.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Yeah, I know. You're right Mike. And I will readily admit, I'm a bit raw this week. Please realize, I worked very hard on the webcam, the subscriber wall was not my idea, but rather was the only way to make it happen and not lose months of work on the project. So the commentary on it hits me directly. I have a great appreciation for Jmark's knowledge of our history, what he's seen, what he can teach us. Not sure I appreciate the gloom and doom predictions. I wish all of you realized that these cuts aren't limited to the newspaper; it's been happening with television news as well (radio news, meanwhile, is a walking zombie).
    Jmark, please accept my apology.
    No apologies needed on this forum! Just opinions and none of us should take offense at differences of opinion. I know you are one of the city fathers--in my opinion--you have spent more time dedicated to promoting this city than just about anyone I know of. And, I am sure you are dealing with a lot with the Oklahoman. But, the better the job you have the thicker the politics. I have been tossed off the balcony of some of the best ad agencies in the USA--but--the next day I was working at a better one...even had one toss me out--then send me a restraining order saying I could not use my knowledge of clients for ten years! Ha! They never checked to see if I ever signed their stupid contract. The upshot is--you could go anywhere in this country with your resume. But--the Oklahoman needs you quite a lot...and try to think of the newspaper at being a great opportunity to morph now into something new and viable--and perhaps--ground-breaking.

E.K. Gaylord would stand with you on this one...to be sure.

16. Default Re: Paying for Sunday TV Guide?

I understand the frustration. I promise you there is no nefarious source, no one putting words in my mouth. You have my word on the following: the subscriber wall is not tied to circulation, advertising or revenue for The Oklahoman. I truly wanted to create a cool viewer for visitors with the only selfish motive being, gasp, to draw people to NewsOK. Things got complicated, and I worked out the best arrangement I could.
    And that's pretty much all I've got to say.

I understand the frustration. I promise you there is no nefarious source, no one putting words in my mouth. You have my word on the following: the subscriber wall is not tied to circulation, advertising or revenue for The Oklahoman. I truly wanted to create a cool viewer for visitors with the only selfish motive being, gasp, to draw people to NewsOK. Things got complicated, and I worked out the best arrangement I could.
    Good response. I understand your dilemma better. Sometime--let us know an e-mail addy where we can voice our complaints and suggest why a change in control might be beneficial to them--and NO ONE turns that down.

BTW--if NewsOK is run by you--I for one would be a charter subscriber online--especially if charter subscribers got an eternal rate freeze at the introductory price!

19. Default Re: Paying for Sunday TV Guide?

Well, thank you sir. I suspect, however, that would be akin to letting the inmates take over the prison, the crazies take over the asylum, the monkeys take over the zoo, the toddlers take over the daycare, etc. You get my drift. It would be chaotic, messy, a bit scary for all involved.

Well, thank you sir. I suspect, however, that would be akin to letting the inmates take over the prison, the crazies take over the asylum, the monkeys take over the zoo, the toddlers take over the daycare, etc. You get my drift. It would be chaotic, messy, a bit scary for all involved.
    Not at all, Steve...you are computer/internet savvy, an accomplished journalist, and young enough to have vision and dedication to make it happen. And--you are dedicated to the great legacy of the Oklahoman--which holds a place in my heart as well. It IS the future. Carpe Diem, my friend.

Make online Oklahoman offering at a low price to start...with the codicil of lifetime rate for charter members. That will get it off the ground and give some leeway to explore...and don't forget it will always be scary to go into future technology...and never forget about online offerings--cheaper rates for some over time has a **zero** actual cost online--a true selling point...

BTW--these were tha same things they said about Steve Jobs long ago...

Thread Information