Widgets Magazine

Thread: Marietta tornado fall out

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Marietta tornado fall out

The 'quick and easy and close' reasoning is interesting to me because it seems like CVS and Walgreens serve the same purpose and they were everywhere long before the dollar stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The 'quick and easy and close' reasoning is interesting to me because it seems like CVS and Walgreens serve the same purpose and they were everywhere long before the dollar stores.
    There is a DG in every direction from my house before I'd hit a CVS/Walgreens store. I totally agree they serve a similar purpose, and I'd pick one of those over a DG most of the time. But it seems like DG has done a good job of putting themselves in these retail/food deserts. So for a lot of people this has become the quick in/out retail establishment and to be fair it's felt like this has happened all since right before Covid.

I suppose it depends on where you live. When I lived at NW 36th & Portland, the Family Dollar was right by me, whereas the nearest Walgreens/CVS was a mile away and either of those were nearly as badly kept as any dollar store I’ve been to. Even now at 63rd & Independence, 7-Eleven and Big Lots are closer to me if I want something quick, though Sprouts/ALDI and Walgreens/CVS/Target aren’t much further if I want nicer/better.

Crazy, but I would suggest CVS and Walgreens are "drug stores". And they will always have the aura of being a more snooty place where you get prescriptions filled, and pick up other expensive stuff while there.

If someone asked me if Walgreens or CVS took WIC cards, I would say "I'm not certain, but probably". Ask that about DG or Family Dollar, and I would say "Sure".

Like others have said, there's a DG a block from my house, so it's the easiest quick stop. I have no illusions about DG being cheaper (price per ounce is almost always higher on stuff I buy), but it's the sweet spot for convenience. The Village is very fortunate to have a ton of grocery stores, drug stores, convenience, and a few dollar stores in very close proximity.

I can also pretty much roll into DG wearing whatever I might have on. I feel like I actually have to look presentable to go to a real store.

Thread Information