Widgets Magazine

Thread: GM fall

Patrick Guest

Default GM fall

I found this and thought it was interesting. It's a list of the top 10 selling vehicles in 2002.

Note that the Chevy Trailblazer makes the list.

Top 10 Best-Selling Vehicles in 2002

So what's everyone driving these days? Well, these are the models that most often found a spot in people's driveways or commercial fleets in 2002. The big news on this list is that the Toyota Camry beat not only the Honda Accord but also the Ford Explorer, disrupting the sport-ute's perennial hold on the number three spot. Also notable is the rise of the Chevrolet TrailBlazer, which unseated the Jeep Grand Cherokee for the title of second best-selling SUV.
    1. Ford F-Series (includes F-150, F-150 SVT Lightning, F-250 and F-350) — 813,701
    2. Chevrolet Silverado (includes 1500, 1500 SS, 1500HD, 2500, 2500HD and 3500) — 652,646
    3. Toyota Camry and Camry Solara — 434,145
    4. Ford Explorer, Explorer Sport and Explorer Sport Trac — 433,847
    5. Honda Accord — 398,980
    6. Dodge Ram (includes 1500, 2500 and 3500) — 396,934
    7. Ford Taurus — 332,690
    8. Honda Civic — 313,159
    9. Chevrolet TrailBlazer — 249,568
    10. Dodge Caravan and Grand Caravan — 244,911

Default Re: GM fall

I had an interesting thought today and I really dont know how this would work, but wouldnt it be interesting if the government made all the auto manufacturers make public a list of all parts and labor that went into producing their vehicles, broke down for each model a company produces. I guess the reason I say this is, and I have to add I kind of hate to say it because of working at one of the big three, but this way people could make a decision also based on what vehicle had the most american parts and labor involved in it and then go from there if it really matters to them on what make or model to buy. Heck, it seems the government wants control in everything we say and do anyway, so why not make the auto companies do this.

3. Default Re: GM fall

The Monroney sticker (required by US law on new cars, and yes, it's named for Mike Monroney) details the domestic content already, and provides specific information for engine and transmission.

My Japanese-branded sedan is 65 percent domestic; the engine is shipped over from Hiroshima, but most everything else originated Stateside.

This disclosure actually derives from Corporate Average Fuel Economy rules: domestic (75 percent or more) and import fleets are counted separately.

I should be ashamed of myself for not knowing about the window sticker. All I know is while the big three are laying off and sending work overseas Toyota, Hyundai and Kia are hiring in my area. In fact Hyundai and Kia are building big new research centers not far from my home. I would imagine they will pick up some of the Ford and G.M displaced workers.

5. Default Re: GM fall

Well, the Michigan plant that built my car is busy these days: they're building the Mazda6, which is selling well, and the Ford Mustang, which is selling even better.

Quote Originally Posted by windowphobe
    Well, the Michigan plant that built my car is busy these days: they're building the Mazda6, which is selling well, and the Ford Mustang, which is selling even better.
    That would be Auto Alliance, about 15 miles south of me, and yes they are busy I have to say.

Patrick Guest

It's pretty easy to understand why GM isn't competing with Toyota, Hyundai, etc......it's all about quality. Toyota's and Hyundai's are just made better than GM's. I drove a Chevy Cavalier rent car last year and it was flimsy. My Nissan is pretty tight (as in built well) compared to the Chevy.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    It's pretty easy to understand why GM isn't competing with Toyota, Hyundai, etc......it's all about quality. Toyota's and Hyundai's are just made better than GM's. I drove a Chevy Cavalier rent car last year and it was flimsy. My Nissan is pretty tight (as in built well) compared to the Chevy.
    I beleive that, Ford and GM both benchmark Toyota.

9. Default Re: GM fall

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    My Cobalt seems to be a well built car. It drives smooth, handles tight, and seems fine.

Jack Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson
    My Cobalt seems to be a well built car. It drives smooth, handles tight, and seems fine.
    Dude, you need to compare your car to a Corrolla. No comparison. My folks had a brand new Chevy Malibu. In one year's time, they had it back to the service shop, count it, 30 times. Needless to say, they traded it off on a Nissan.

Thread Information