Last year Jim Inhoff on his way out of office passed a bill to authorize upgrading US-412 to an Interstate from I-35 to I-49 in Arkansas to connect Tulsa and NW Arkansas. I thought this would take a long time, but Oklahoma is actually doing this pretty much now with federal money.

The largest section of the highway in Oklahoma from I-35 to Catoosa is Interstate quality now with one exception and could be signed at any time. The one exception is an at grade road called Diamond Head Rd by Lake Keystone. An interchange for that road is scheduled to be built in 2029.

The part of the highway from Catoosa to the Cherokee Turnpike is where the road needs big upgrades. My assumption was this would take decades, but Oklahoma got a federal grant and is doing it now, all at once:
https://oklahoma.gov/odot/progress-a...signation.html

$139 million for improvements. 8 new interchanges and six more new bridges. Design work is underway now with construction set to start in mid 2025 and be done by 2028.

When the Arkansas side could be connected at Siloam Springs is another question, but Tulsa could be ready for a new Interstate designation within five years or so.