Widgets Magazine

Thread: Rte 66 road work

Default Rte 66 road work

Route 66 has had construction for a while now. It hasn't really made 66 bad to drive or difficult to navigate. However, yesterday I saw an electronic sign saying that 66 will be closed starting 8/21 (iirc).

Does this mean closed as in NONE SHALL PASS. I find it kind of difficult to believe that it'd be completely closed. Anyone have information on this?

Default Re: Rte 66 road work

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Route 66 has had construction for a while now. It hasn't really made 66 bad to drive or difficult to navigate. However, yesterday I saw an electronic sign saying that 66 will be closed starting 8/21 (iirc).

Does this mean closed as in NONE SHALL PASS. I find it kind of difficult to believe that it'd be completely closed. Anyone have information on this?
    about a mile will be closed in Wellston .. https://oklahomavoice.com/2024/08/06...-about-a-year/

https://oklahoma.gov/content/dam/ok/...20Wellston.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    It took me a moment to decipher what the article was explaining. It’s so strangely organized by highlighting two projects in the same area at the same time without really differentiating that they are distinct projects. At first glance, it seemed like it was saying the Turner Turnpike would close and traffic would be diverted to Rt 66 at Wellston, then somewhat clarified that the turnpike would remain partially open and traffic from Rt 66 would be diverted to surrounding country roads.

It says they'll reroute traffic along country roads. I think a lot of those roads are dirt roads. I'm sure there will be route 66 travelers (bikers and such) that won't know about the closure until they're there. That could be a rude awakening.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    It says they'll reroute traffic along country roads. I think a lot of those roads are dirt roads. I'm sure there will be route 66 travelers (bikers and such) that won't know about the closure until they're there. That could be a rude awakening.
    the second link in my post is the odot PDF and on the last page shows the "official detour" (all paved roads) 30 miles in total ..... down 177 (all the way to 62 ) and back up 102 ..

dirt/gravel roads make the detour .. just over 7 miles ..

and there looks to be a possible non public road detour that cuts that to 3 miles ..

the second link in my post is the odot PDF and on the last page shows the "official detour" (all paved roads) 30 miles in total ..... down 177 (all the way to 62 ) and back up 102 ..

dirt/gravel roads make the detour .. just over 7 miles ..

and there looks to be a possible non public road detour that cuts that to 3 miles ..
    Gotcha

I had neglected to look at that.

Thread Information