Widgets Magazine

Thread: Northeast Town Center

Northeast OKC Northeast Town Center

A new upgrade coming to NE OKC.

Default Re: Northeast Shopping Center

John Pettis has been an absolute superstar for his district.

4. Default Re: Northeast Shopping Center

He has, but why are we TIFing strip malls? There is an opportunity here for a broader neighborhood revitalization.

http://www.okc.gov/councilnotes/2015...TIF%20memo.pdf

$2 million allocation of TIF funds approved for Northeast Shopping Center project

OKC will kick in $2 million of tax increment finance (TIF) district funds to promote the redevelopment of the Northeast Shopping Center at 1148 NE 36. The finds come from the Northeast Renaissance TIF district, which runs generally along NE 23 between Lincoln Boulevard and Martin Luther King Avenue. The $2 million will be paid over a 20-year period and is subject to the developer meeting performance goals. The developer is contributing about $9 million of the estimated cost to redevelop the blighted shopping center. The Northeast Renaissance TIF is intended to promote economic development in northeast Oklahoma City. TIF districts allow the City to reinvest property taxes generated by private development within a specific area, helping to promote further economic progress and private projects.

I'm glad to see this. The NE side has so few shopping outlets period. I know at one time, not that long ago, there wasn't a single chain grocery store east of Broadway. It may still be that way. This will be a good thing.

Aha! Finally found this thread again. The renovations to this shopping center - now called "North East Town Center" - are complete, and it really looks pretty nice. DOK is now reporting that a lease has been signed to bring a new 18,000 sq. ft. Save-A-Lot grocery store to the center; it is expected to open by the end of the year. (This grocer will improve northeast Oklahoma City residents' access to food | NewsOK)

Not quite as awesome as the Uptown Market originally slated for the King's Crossing development on NE 23rd and MLK, but nonetheless important for the community and a huge step forward for the area.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Aha! Finally found this thread again. The renovations to this shopping center - now called "North East Town Center" - are complete, and it really looks pretty nice. DOK is now reporting that a lease has been signed to bring a new 18,000 sq. ft. Save-A-Lot grocery store to the center; it is expected to open by the end of the year. (This grocer will improve northeast Oklahoma City residents' access to food | NewsOK)

Not quite as awesome as the Uptown Market originally slated for the King's Crossing development on NE 23rd and MLK, but nonetheless important for the community and a huge step forward for the area.
    "Not quite as awesome?" About as polar opposite as you can get in regards to grocery store tiers. I do agree that it is important for the community to have a grocery option. But save-a-lot is a dump.

Living in the area I'm glad we will get a grocery store, not what I expected but it will do. As long as we get wide aisles, a good selection and "good" customer service I'd be happy. (doesn't even have to be excellent customer service). Next step would be an ACE hardware or some sort of hardware store. I'm not excited about the Dollar General as it is much of the same. Hopefully we won't get another liquor store or another church.

The Save-A-Lot in this development opened last Friday.

Default Re: Northeast Town Center

SMH. Save-A-Lots Facebook page says they are going out of business.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A0850C5E-0963-467C-806C-9272F89E41E8.jpeg 
Views:	149 
Size:	888.8 KB 
ID:	14946

n/m

14. Default Re: Northeast Town Center

What??

they get a grocery store and don't support it... ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Barely made it 10 months.

Their other stores are staying open so this one much not have been doing much business.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    What??

they get a grocery store and don't support it... ...
    I would hardly call it a grocery store, I have a family of six and was a big advocate to my neighbors and friends to support this store. Problem is prices are high for even the off-brand items plus I’d still have to go to Walmart or Crest to finish my grocery shopping. NE OKC didn’t need another Cash Saver or Cost plus model. We need a full service grocery store.

17. Default Re: Northeast Town Center

sounds like the market is speaking, hopefully supply/developers will respond. ...

18. Default Re: Northeast Town Center

Quote Originally Posted by loveOKC View Post
    I would hardly call it a grocery store, I have a family of six and was a big advocate to my neighbors and friends to support this store. Problem is prices are high for even the off-brand items plus I’d still have to go to Walmart or Crest to finish my grocery shopping. NE OKC didn’t need another Cash Saver or Cost plus model. We need a full service grocery store.
    I understand Love, and appreciate what you're saying. But also, NE OKC has to support things but voice your concerns regarding product offering/placement. It's the same as in other areas, just need to support but speak out. I suspect if they had feedback they might have made some adjustments prior to just closing. I think it is worse to have nothing than to have a store that makes most of the bases but is willing to adapt. If we just let the store(s) go then it becomes much more difficult to ask other(s) to come. .....

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    I understand Love, and appreciate what you're saying. But also, NE OKC has to support things but voice your concerns regarding product offering/placement. It's the same as in other areas, just need to support but speak out. I suspect if they had feedback they might have made some adjustments prior to just closing. I think it is worse to have nothing than to have a store that makes most of the bases but is willing to adapt. If we just let the store(s) go then it becomes much more difficult to ask other(s) to come. .....
    I understand but man it’s a hard sell convincing neighbors to shop there. When it first opened I asked the manager to get more name brands, to their credit I started seeing more name brands like Coke, Kellogg’s Cereal etc. Problem is first impressions are hard to get over. Yeah the store is nice and isles are pretty wide, but with hardly any name brands, meat and produce not looking fresh folks won’t go back. It’s like it was a bandaid for a bullet wound. Save A Lot didn’t fill the need and was only more of the same i. e. Cost Saver, Cost Plus, Family dollar. The Save A Lot on 15th and Sunnylane is by far a better store than what they put in NE OKC. NE OKC deserves better not just a bandaid with hopes that we’ll be satisfied just any thing.

I can’t seem to find anything on this anywhere else, but who has information on the Uptown Grocery that was supposed to open here? The sign was up for a few months but I noticed recently that it has been removed. Any news?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleCyrus View Post
    I can’t seem to find anything on this anywhere else, but who has information on the Uptown Grocery that was supposed to open here? The sign was up for a few months but I noticed recently that it has been removed. Any news?
    I'm 99.999% sure this is no longer happening.

Thread Information