Widgets Magazine

Thread: What's going on South of York Intl.?

Default What's going on South of York Intl.?

I was just wondering what is planned for The area South of The York plant and Flood/77?

Default Re: What's going on South of York Intl.?

Quote Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
    I was just wondering what is planned for The area South of The York plant and Flood/77?
    If your talking about the large dirt area with the construction trailers, thats where the new Cleveland County Jail is being built.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    If your talking about the large dirt area with the construction trailers, thats where the new Cleveland County Jail is being built.
    Aye-up. I thought I saw some signage up near the se corner of 77 and franklin about that project, but perhaps I imagined it. I'm usually too busy watching for the occasional idiot who still thinks it's ok to turn south off Franklin, even though that option went away some time back, to pay much attention to the site itself.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Aye-up. I thought I saw some signage up near the se corner of 77 and franklin about that project, but perhaps I imagined it. I'm usually too busy watching for the occasional idiot who still thinks it's ok to turn south off Franklin, even though that option went away some time back, to pay much attention to the site itself.
    This area is just a fatal accident waiting to happen. As part of the construction project, this intersection is scheduled to get a major overhaul, widening, signals, etc;.

This area is just a fatal accident waiting to happen. As part of the construction project, this intersection is scheduled to get a major overhaul, widening, signals, etc;.
    ^^^ I agree people drive nuts around there!

I have noticed some additional construction at this location: EAst of 77, south of frankling is the new prison. However, additional land is being cleared West of 77 & east of I-35.

There is another development going east of I-35, just north of Indian hills. So much development these days. Geeze - anybody know what the other two spots are going to be.

Anyone else question the fact that it is right by a major highway? Just imagine... if a prisonor escapes, he/she is only a few hundred yards from a pretty easy getaway!

Of course, I'm sure no one wanted it by their neighborhood to begin with.

Maybe it was done on purpose... Norman's way of saying "If you escape, go ahead and get out of our town as fast as possible!" LOL

It's the new jail. It's not a prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritomonk View Post
    Anyone else question the fact that it is right by a major highway? Just imagine... if a prisonor escapes, he/she is only a few hundred yards from a pretty easy getaway!
    "tonight, theres gonna be a jailbreak...somewhere in this town, so dont you be around"

10. Default Re: What's going on South of York Intl.?

thin lizzy owns.

11. Default Re: What's going on South of York Intl.?

Welcome to Norman, didja see our new jail on your way in??

How about this for a new freeway sign upon entering Norman on I-35:

See Norman!
    -OU
    -Museums
    -Awesome new jail conveniently located to your left!

Quote Originally Posted by igotmyrockmoves View Post
    Welcome to Norman, didja see our new jail on your way in??

How about this for a new freeway sign upon entering Norman on I-35:

See Norman!
    -OU
    -Museums
    -Awesome new jail conveniently located to your left!
    Yeah, I agree it's a terrible location as far as what people will see off the interstate or coming down US 77. But where else would we put it that's convenient/efficient for law enforcement, the judicial system, and citizens who don't want the jail anywhere near them?

I know, it really upsets me as well. Reminds me of OKC's (and Edmond's) decision to put a city dump right on the highway at pretty much all directions into town. People in this state are too utilitarian and do not give enough due consideration to things like, oh I don't know, beauty and image.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Yeah, I agree it's a terrible location as far as what people will see off the interstate or coming down US 77. But where else would we put it that's convenient/efficient for law enforcement, the judicial system, and citizens who don't want the jail anywhere near them?
    The design of the building is very attractive, unless you know it's the County Jail, people will just assume it's some type of office complex.

I'm just hoping it will be a Super Jail instead of a regular one

The design of the building is very attractive, unless you know it's the County Jail, people will just assume it's some type of office complex.
    Agreed. And even if they know it's a jail, knowing that a city has a jail when you drive into town isn't a bad thing especially if it doesn't look like a slum. It makes you think that the city cares about it's citizens. If people drive into Edmond without seeing a jail do you think that they think "gee, this city is so safe that they don't need a jail?" I don't think so.

did anyone se the new sign thats went up on the side of the interstate its about 20 oot letters that state cleveland county jail, it has flashing lights at everything.. and a new nightclub is going in next door to it called the jail house rock. just kidding by the way

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    did anyone se the new sign thats went up on the side of the interstate its about 20 oot letters that state cleveland county jail, it has flashing lights at everything.. and a new nightclub is going in next door to it called the jail house rock. just kidding by the way
    When I drove by last night, it had a sign flashing "Vacancy"!

Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post
    When I drove by last night, it had a sign flashing "Vacancy"!
    Then it wasn't the Cleveland County jail

Are there renderings of this structure that one might look at?

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    Are there renderings of this structure that one might look at?
    My speculation would be yes. As to location, a call to the office of one of the county commissioners could get you far better information than my mere speculation. 405.366.0200

Thread Information