Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: OKC, New Promise Land of SouthWest?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cool OKC, New Promise Land of SouthWest?

In the southwest U.S. every city has had their time, Dallas, Houston, Austin, Pheonix, Las Vegas. Back in the early 70's at the peak of the oil boom in the southwest, Oklahoma City and Tulsa were the fastest growing cities in the southwest along with Dallas, and Houston. But what happened? I will tell you what happened. Sunbelt conservatives in Oklahoma, and them good ol Oklahoma boys on the hill wanted to run Oklahoma as a business, and guess what, they kept their business in the family. Thats why you saw more small independent companies, family owned, rather than big corporations coming to Oklahoma. The last free standing skyscraper was built in OKC was over 25 years ago! This resulted in the growth of Oklahoma to be stagnant in the late 70's to early 90's. Dallas, Houston, and Austin left OKC in the dust. But don't cry my friend. OKC is now the new Mecca of the SouthWest. With our dominant energy and medical field industry, and recession proof ecomony. You already see people moving to OKC metro area, and growth like never before. It's our time.

Default Re: OKC, New Mecca of SouthWest?

I don't see what our "recession proof" economy. What we have is a ton of service industry jobs and fast food. The reason we didn't feel massive effects of the housing bubble is because of the low demand anyhow.

Nor do I see our dominant medical field. We don't have cutting edge medicine like the other cities you mentioned.

The one area I think we can dominate is wind and solar energy. I hope we can do it. Otherwise I don't see any other industry taking OKC to the next level.

Cool Re: OKC, New Mecca of SouthWest?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDenver View Post
    I don't see what our "recession proof" economy. What we have is a ton of service industry jobs and fast food. The reason we didn't feel massive effects of the housing bubble is because of the low demand anyhow.

Nor do I see our dominant medical field. We don't have cutting edge medicine like the other cities you mentioned.

The one area I think we can dominate is wind and solar energy. I hope we can do it. Otherwise I don't see any other industry taking OKC to the next level.
    Oklahoma has a strong energy industry, with oil and natural gas. Take Devon, Chesapeake, and SandRidge energy for example. They are major leaders in their industry in the U.S. These companies produce high-end jobs for people, who invest and spend their money in Oklahoma. That is why Core 2 Shore project is 50% privately funded by Oklahoma banks, like the Kirkpatrick Foundation. Whit-Collars employees need nice homes, nice retail, and entertainment. That is why you will see boost in the infrastructure around the new Devon Tower. Needless to say the Core 2 Shore project well before Devon decided to build new skyscraper. The medical is growing, take drive on Lincoln and NE 13 by OU medical Center, Dean McGee eye institute and you will see growth, and there are more cancer and heart research facilities going up in the metro then I can count.

4. Default Re: OKC, New Mecca of SouthWest?

EVERY city has a ton of service jobs and fast food. Oklahoma City has a ton of government jobs at Tinker and the FAA. The medical industry has a huge employment base in OKC as well, in addition to a laundry list of small firms that add up fast.

Mercy Health Center is a Magnet hospital. It is in the same league as John Hopkins and M.D. Anderson. And lest you forget that Oklahoma City has one of only three proton cancer treatment centers in the U.S. with another opening at OUHSC.

I agree, but people don't realize that energy firms can and will capitalize on green energy. They know the oil and gas will run out just like everyone else. Trust me, the energy giants plan ahead.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

Quote Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post

Mercy Health Center is a Magnet hospital. It is in the same league as John Hopkins and M.D. Anderson. And lest you forget that Oklahoma City has one of only three proton cancer treatment centers in the U.S. with another opening at OUHSC.

Where do you come up with this stuff? Mercy Health Center in the same league as John [sic] Hopkins and M.D. Anderson???? According to whom?
    And it would be best to "forget" that OKC has one of only three proton cancer treatment centers in the U.S., since it is not now and has never been true. There were at least 5 proton centers in the U.S. prior to the opening of OKC's. OKC's was one of a group of 8 additional that were all under development as of May 2008 (and that does not include OUHSC's).

Quote Originally Posted by Oil Capital View Post
    Where do you come up with this stuff? Mercy Health Center in the same league as John [sic] Hopkins and M.D. Anderson???? According to whom?
    And it would be best to "forget" that OKC has one of only three proton cancer treatment centers in the U.S., since it is not now and has never been true. There were at least 5 proton centers in the U.S. prior to the opening of OKC's. OKC's was one of a group of 8 additional that were all under development as of May 2008 (and that does not include OUHSC's).
    You know, I had the same reaction. Mercy is not especially highly regarded in OKC, let alone the US.

7. Default Re: OKC, New Mecca of SouthWest?

Quote Originally Posted by Oil Capital View Post
    I stand corrected. 5, not 3. Point being, we got a treatment center before they became a dime a dozen. Isn't that the whole point of bragging rights.

I don't pull this stuff out of my ass. I don't come on this board without doing my homework.

It's funny how you guys don't waste time casting doubt on anything good about OKC that gets any kind of recognition. And we all wonder why OKC has difficulty keeping or attracting young professionals.

I stand corrected. 5, not 3. Point being, we got a treatment center before they became a dime a dozen. Isn't that the whole point of bragging rights.

I don't pull this stuff out of my ass. I don't come on this board without doing my homework.

It's funny how you guys don't waste time casting doubt on anything good about OKC that gets any kind of recognition. And we all wonder why OKC has difficulty keeping or attracting young professionals.
    Ya it's sad isn't it?!? GOD FORBID OKIE DOKIE LAND DO ANYTHING PROGRESSIVE!!!!!

But as I pointed out, it seems as if you do indeed pull this stuff out of your ass. And you have proved beyond dispute that you come on this board without doing your homework. One of only three in the country is flat-out incorrect. Had you done your homework you would have known that.

(and it seems as if you STILL do not get it... There were at least 5 in existence prior to OKC's. There were 8 under development at the time OKC's was under development. So by now, OKC's is probably one of at least 13. Still a point of honor, but far different from one of 3.)

Mercy Health Center is a Magnet hospital. It is in the same league as John Hopkins and M.D. Anderson.
    Wow. If ever there was a pathetic example of how boundless civic pride can cause one to discard all common sense...

11. Default Re: OKC, New Mecca of SouthWest?

Quote Originally Posted by semisimple View Post
    Wow. If ever there was a pathetic example of how boundless civic pride can cause one to discard all common sense...
    As a Magnet hospital. Damn, forget I ever even posted the damn link. This whole thing is a f**king joke.

12. Default Re: OKC, New Mecca of SouthWest?

Mercy Health Center is a Magnet hospital. It is in the same league as John Hopkins and M.D. Anderson.
    It's actually "Johns Hopkins" and not "John Hopkins" by the way.

13. Default Re: OKC, New Mecca of SouthWest?

We're doing OK but so are all the larger cities in TX (save for El Paso). I just hope we can start attracting or grow some good non-energy companies so our economy can become more diversified.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    We're doing OK but so are all the larger cities in TX (save for El Paso). I just hope we can start attracting or grow some good non-energy companies so our economy can become more diversified.
    agreed

So you want less Christians and more Muslims?

16. Default Re: OKC, New Mecca of SouthWest?

Quote Originally Posted by ddavidson8 View Post
    Yes, actually. Diversity attracts people and businesses. There is nothing wrong with Muslims, we need more of everything besides Christians.

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    Yes, actually. Diversity attracts people and businesses. There is nothing wrong with Muslims, we need more of everything besides Christians.
    So no more Christians can move to OKC unless some die or move away? When did OKC get a Christian quota?

18. Default Re: OKC, New Mecca of SouthWest?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    So no more Christians can move to OKC unless some die or move away? When did OKC get a Christian quota?
    Oh stop. You took that far out of context and you know it. Dramatic.

Oh stop. You took that far out of context and you know it. Dramatic.
    I am going to cut you some slack because I know you didn't mean what you wrote, but I didn't take it out of context. You wrote it out of context. I was just pointing it out. No harm no foul.

EXACTLY! I think we need to tolerate everything except for Christians. Tolerate nothing (Christian)!!!!

Default Re: OKC, New Promise Land of SouthWest?

Pretty sure we can all agree that Dallas and Houston are bigger cities. Every thread on here has beat that horse to death and some..A bigger city doesnt mean better city. OKC and Dallas were roughly the same size during WWII. We can blame a lack of leadership and politics on that. I wish Oklahoma became much more Pro-Business back in the day, but we didnt and we still have a lot of work to go.
    Im also pretty sure OKC is perfectly positioned as mid-large sized city that will boom over the coming years. Lets face it, the Dallas, Houston, blah blah draw is going to slow down. People get sick of the terrible traffic, crime, etc. and are going to migrate to a new, more calm place where they can have a family and enjoy life. As this happens the population is obviously going to grow until we also hit the point of too much traffic, crime, etc.
    The numbers already show that America's population is sweeping across the South and we are in line for a large population migration/growth. Theres a lot of people on here down and out on OKC and Oklahoma in general, but Im not. Im extremely excited to watch this place explode. I think its inevitable, which is why I chose to stay in OKC after college. Theres also some good money to be made on a city like OKC that could possibly explode in the coming years (at least thats what Im betting on).

Quick, someone call the "Village" I found him!!

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    Quick, someone call the "Village" I found him!!
    Um...yeah...I forgot to add this

/SarcasmOff

I guess there's three in that village.

Less of both would be nice.

G. Walker - if you look at the history of OKC, we go through a growth spurt about every 25 years. Your right about that time being now. I'll tell you one thing that helped Dallas in the late 70's and early '80, the TV show Dallas. Don't underestimate the power of that TV show to drive business and people to Dallas at that time. South Fork Ranch was a huge tourist attraction.

As you mentioned, Oklahoma had more than it share of corruption back then that kept a lot of companies from moving to Oklahoma.

OKScam - The Oklahoma County Commissioner Scandal

In the spring of 1981, with tape recordings and plea agreements in hand, FBI agents fanned out across the state and gave commissioners the chance to turn themselves in. In the first week, Gibbons said thirty or forty commissioners agreed to plead guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit mail fraud and obstructing the IRS. By July 1981, 100 people had signed a plea agreement. In most cases, commissioners who agreed to cooperate with the government received probation or one or two years in jail. Others who decided to take their cases to trial ended up serving jail time anywhere from seven up to 20 years.

The list of suspects grew longer and longer and investigators saw the pattern of fraud winding its way down from northwest Oklahoma to the southwest part of the state and then into north Texas. By the end of the investigation several years later, there were around 280 total fraud convictions, including thirty or forty people in Texas.

"Number wise, this was the biggest political corruption case in FBI history," Gibbons said.

Thread Information