Widgets Magazine

Thread: Burger King

Large Chain Burger King

Does anyone eat there anymore? I just wonder because I never see anyone in line at the food court one at QSM, or hardly any cars in the parking lot/drive-thru at the one on Broadway in Edmond.

Default Re: Burger King

BK is a crapshoot that I avoid. Obviously corporate does little to protect the brand given all the dive BKs out there. Although I must say the ones on AF bases usually rock.

I ate at one on 23rd and Meridian a couple of nights ago just so I could try their new Satisfries. Supposed to be 40% less fat and 30% less calories than McDonalds fries. Fat crinkle cut fries. Kind of bland. It was more of a snack than a meal. Just got the small double cheesburger and a small Satisfries. For that kind of snack I think I prefer a McDouble and small fries at McDs for about a buck less. Just don't tell my cardiologist. I might eat a Whopper at BK 1 or 2 times a year. If I do I have to eat them there because they are not very good when they get cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    BK is a crapshoot that I avoid. Obviously corporate does little to protect the brand given all the dive BKs out there. Although I must say the ones on AF bases usually rock.
    I bet they are monitored a little better. Can't have too many Airmen running around with the squirts.

I love Burger King

When they're done right, a Whopper is one of the best burgers around - although in later years I think a basic Carl's Jr burger slightly eclipses them.

We used to go to the BK over on the west side of Western around 56th, and if the guys running their flame broiler were paying attention, the burgers were really outrageously good. The big contrast for them over Carl's is that Whoppers had the thin meat that cooked rapidly, whereas Carl's patties are thicker, and I suppose that boils down to a matter of taste/preference.

I agree, though, that there's emerged a wide variation in the quality of the various BK franchises. Some are really nasty, some seem never visited, some are OK, and reminds me for all the world of how DQ started deteriorating just before they left the OKC market years ago. I also remember just a few years ago that a local BK franchisee just closed shop rather suddenly on ALL his BK restaurants, boarded 'em up and walked away, I think in some sort of dispute with the parent company. Think it actually made some news at the time, and the franchisee was quoted as saying something like "BK will be back in OKC, but it may be a while," or words to that effect. That's been a few years ago, though.

IN its day BK was really good, and they still can be. So was the old, original Whataburger stores - the big orange triangle stores were really special, and the burgers were really good. Didn't go there very often, though - the one that was on SW 59th was just that much out of the way of our normal family errand route when I was a kid...

Burger King pulled the franchisee's license out from under him. I think it was back when they were sold off to new owners. The new owners wanted to change the standards and he refused. Bryant in Edmond, 122nd and Rockwell, I-35 and 23rd, 23rd and Meridian, Del City, 39th and Portland (Closed a long time ago, reopened closed again), and I-40 and Meridian all closed. All but 3 reopened. 23rd and I-35 still sets vacant, 39th and Portland is now a pizza restaurant I think, Edmond became a garden center and 122nd and Rockwell is now a San Marcos.

8. Default Re: Burger King

At that time there were also locations at Reno and Western/Exchange (now a Greek place) and there was one inside the gas station at I-44 and N. Penn. Both disappeared at the same time.

Thread Information