Widgets Magazine

Thread: Did I just see this commercial on national TV?

Default Did I just see this commercial on national TV?

Did I just see a SandRidge commercial on live national TV...uhm the Super Bowl?

Default Re: Did I just see this commercial on national TV?

Yes...and great shots of the rowers on the river! We actually recognized the river and the rowers as OKC before any of the other shots.

I heard from some rowers in other states a while back that it has been showing on national TV for the same amount of time it has been shown in our market but may not be as frequent.

4. Default Re: Did I just see this commercial on national TV?

There's nothing anywhere about Sandridge having an ad during the Super Bowl. There's entire lists on site after site set-up just for SB ads. No Sandridge anywhere - including the Wall Street Journal list of advertisers. Must have been another channel?

MadMonk Guest

I don't think those were broadcast nationally, only for the local markets. I think I remember them saying something about upcoming advertising from your local area right before going into them.

yes - there are a few spots during the game that are given to local ads. O'Conners and the Oklahoma Ford Dealers had commercials air as well. SD didn't air theirs nationally.

I had this discussion a few years ago in my advertising class... There are local commercials sold for the Super Bowl, but like the national commercials they are sold at a premium price (obviously not as high as the national ones), so SandRidge most certainly paid quite a bit for that spot.

Lord Helmet Guest

It wasn't national. Some of the spots are local. We didn't get the Sandridge ad here in Denver...and you likely didn't get the 1stBank (a local bank chain) in OKC.

Yes, what others have said. You can air LOCALLY and not nationally, a :30 is about $35,000 locally vs. $3.5MM nationally. $35,000 to a company like this is vending machine money.

We had HEB ads on locally (I'm in Austin this weekend packing up for the move) during probably the same time as the Sandridge (and other local) ads. There are local time slots held out every hour for the affiliates.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Did I just see a SandRidge commercial on live national TV...uhm the Super Bowl?
    Do you live outside of Oklahoma?

Oh that makes sense. I didn't know. Was about to say go Sandridge!

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    Do you live outside of Oklahoma?
    I do during the week, home on the weekends.

It definitely didn't run here in California.

Not only Sandridge, but notice how O'Conners, that lawn and garden store by Quail Springs mall ran an ad during the game as well. It was bad enough their commercial was probably from 1990, super low resolution and dated. They probably spent their entire years marketing budget to run that ONE ad. They would have done more bang for their buck to have shot a newer commercial and run an ad schedule for a month or two, especially in the spring during lawn season.

I was busy with other things, didn't notice many of the other local commercials. I thought it was all national.

Most national broadcast programming allows for a certain % of local spots that can be sold to advertisers in the market where programs air. It's usually about 5-7% of total programming ad time, depending upon the market size.

Most TV and radio stations have ad buyers that work on EITHER national or local accounts, since their rates are so different as are their needs with regards to traffic, etc. Most national ads are embedded into the national broadcast feed, so those advertisers get prime placement. Local ads are trafficked via the local station, which manually embeds them into their feed. Local ads usually are lumped into a specific area of the program, typically near the end of the broadcast - about 2/3 - 3/4 of the way through.

Seems as if I remember some scuttlebutt a few years ago about one of our local stations (think it was 5, but I don't remember), cutting out an extra :30 from some popular sitcom in order to bulk up their advertising for that program, or maybe it was for all programming. In most instances, a 1/2 hour sitcom or program only has approx 22 minutes of actual program time. The rest is slotted for ad spots.

Just saw a SandRidge commercial on CNBC.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Just saw a SandRidge commercial on CNBC.
    Again, can be purchased locally. They aren't nationally syndicating these. Maybe at best buying a few regional markets.

Well considering I was 1,000 miles away from the state of Oklahoma when I saw it on CNBC....in a hotel room.

Thread Information