Widgets Magazine

Thread: Martin Park Nature Center

Default Re: Martin Park Nature Center

nice to see they will go ahead, but do so carefully.

Yes, this is a very nice park and they should take great care with this. I think this park is a hidden treasure. Almost everyone I have met, has not heard about this park.

I had a major facepalm when I read he injured himself by using his cell phone while biking. That's almost Darwin Award winning. No ill will to the guy, but I am sometimes guilty of non-compassionate thoughts.

Yeah, I have to admit, that is a pretty crappy way to end up like that. I laughed at funeral one time when they were describing the death of my 3rd. He swallowed a bottle cap from a bottle of water and choked to death. Keep in mind, this is someone who has been a mountain climber, surfer, skydiver, and served one tour and at 29 years old after all that, he comes home and swallows a lid to a bottle cap and dies. Now I am sorry, but that is freakin hilarious. All respects, I just couldn't help it. But, it is sad too, none the less.

Why don't they just take that $1mil and buy a bunch of Hoverounds. They're supposed to take you anywhere you want to go. That way they can leave the park alone.

I think it is nice to give limited areas (low environmental impact) to the disabled. A full and complete access to all areas is indeed bad for the rest of the people who enjoy the outdoors (think Mt. Scott in Lawton).

I've thought about how awful it would be to be so disabled that I couldn't go deep into a wildlife area. Makes me sad. But at the same time, if there is any reasonable chance that converting it to allow the disabled to venture in would significantly disrupt the wildlife in the park, I'd have to come down against it. There are a lot of places in nature that lend themselves to being converted for the disabled, especially if they are large and in a rural area. A small park (144 acres) in an urban setting, IMO, is going to be a very fragile place to support the wildlife it already does. Disrupting it to allow people to come in is just one more selfish thing we do to wildlife. Sorry, that is cold, I know. And to be fair, I suspect that if I had a disabled child, I would probably be more inclined to be on the other side of the issue. I used to take my kids there, about 35 years ago. It is much the same, now, as it was then. However, it would not be the end of the world if someone couldn't go there. At this point, they can already go into parts of the park and to the center.

Isn't Mt. Scott in the Wichita Mtn. Wildlife Refuge? Medicine Park and Ft. Sill are closer than Lawton.

Mount Scott (Oklahoma) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is right by it, at least. Love that area.

I remember when there was nothing out there but the Nature Center. Back in the 80's when deveopment was right at the parks back door, I worked on three houses in Val Verde that backed right up to the south border of the preserve. Now, development has completely surrounded the park. It's a wonder that the place is even still there. So, why mess with it?.

I really love this area. Glad to see this starting.

New hours.

Under the new plan the park would open daily, year-round, at 5 a.m. It would close at 9 p.m. in the spring and summer and 6 p.m. in the fall and winter.
    - Oklahoma City Parks director offers new plan to extend Martin Nature Park hours, relieves group's worries | News OK

17. Default Re: Martin Park Nature Center

I loved going here when I was younger. Glad it is still around!

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I loved going here when I was younger. Glad it is still around!
    Same, the last time I was there must have been around 2000 or so. Almost 15 years! I need to go back and see it again, all I can remember of it was playing in the water in a stream with my older brother and my grandmother.

19. Default Re: Martin Park Nature Center

Me three. I haven't been there since last millennia.

I took my kids there a couple months ago for their first time and they loved it, they really loved playing in the stream and watching deer walk by them. Its almost like it was when I went as a kid, they do have a new play ground at the entrance, don't know how old it is it only looks like a year or so old

Thread Information