Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Cross

Patrick Guest

Default The Cross

What does the cross mean to you? Is it merely a symbolic symbol that you where around your neck, or does it mean more to you? Maybe it means nothing to you.

2. Default Re: The Cross

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    What does the cross mean to you? Is it merely a symbolic symbol that you where around your neck, or does it mean more to you? Maybe it means nothing to you.
    I do wear a gold cross around my neck, it is an exact duplicate of one of my best friend's cross, only hers has a longer chain. She bought both of them and on a very special occasion 15 yrs ago, she gave me mine, she was already wearing hers. We have an agreement: The family of who ever passes first is to give that cross to the other, then that person wears both crosses until they go. It might seem silly, but it reminds me of the bond between us as we have been good friends for over 45 yrs. Yes, I would say that it is spiritual, but no, it is not religous. I know that most other replies will problably that of a religous nature, to each his own. 'course, I can look at a new born baby and consider that a spiritual experience, or puppy or tree.
    Too old NOT to care

3. Default Re: The Cross

I know what the cross is supposed to represent, but I hold no beliefs, feelings, or faith in one. It is merely a symbol. If you wear one, that's fine, I respect your beliefs. I'm not crazy about giant ones along the highway, but I am not the one who makes those decisions, and in that matter, I am able to put my beliefs aside for the majority.
    Still corrupting young minds

Default Re: The Cross

For me, the cross represents forgiveness, mercy, grace, hope and amazing love. I don't where a cross, but I also don't where any other jewelry except for my wedding ring. IMHO, the cross symbol has been trivialized and there are many people who where a cross who certainly don't reflect the message that the cross is meant to represent.

5. Default Re: The Cross

So far, I am guessing this since I have just begun to convert to Catholisism (sp). Catholics cross ourselves which means, in order. In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen. So, that would mean the cross means the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

6. Default Re: The Cross

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson View Post
    So far, I am guessing this since I have just begun to convert to Catholisism (sp). Catholics cross ourselves which means, in order. In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen. So, that would mean the cross means the Father, So, and Holy Spirit.
    I thought that we were sharing what "A CROSS" meant to us individually, I was not aware that there was a "THE CROSS". Obviously, it will mean something different to everyone.
    Too old NOT to care

7. Default Re: The Cross

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMaMa View Post
    I thought that we were sharing what "A CROSS" meant to us individually, I was not aware that there was a "THE CROSS". Obviously, it will mean something different to everyone.
    A cross... The cross... Symantics.

Keith Guest

A cross... The cross... Symantics.
    To me, the cross represents Christs' death, burial, and ressurection. It tells me that God sent his Son in the world to save it, and that the only way Christ could save us was to die on the cross for our sins. Salvation, faith, and hope.......is in the Cross.

Unfortunately, many people just wear the cross as a decoration...but as GrandMaMa said, it has different meanings to different people.

9. Default Re: The Cross

Again I say, there are many, many crosses, most of which have absolutely nothing to do with Christianity or any form of it. There is the Celtic or Pagan Cross, The Red Cross, The Blue Cross, The Green Cross, The Medical Cross, etc. I could go on and on. All of the organizations that these crosses represent are quite secular. There are even crosses that represent Satanic worship. So, yes, there can't just be "THE CROSS" . You say only semantics? I don't think so.
    Too old NOT to care

10. Default Re: The Cross

Again I say, there are many, many crosses, most of which have absolutely nothing to do with Christianity or any form of it. There is the Celtic or Pagan Cross, The Red Cross, The Blue Cross, The Green Cross, The Medical Cross, etc. I could go on and on. All of the organizations that these crosses represent are quite secular. There are even crosses that represent Satanic worship. So, yes, there can't just be "THE CROSS" . You say only semantics? I don't think so.
    Some people say "The cross," some say "a cross." THAT is why it is symantics. Now, I do not feel like arguing the way people express something. That is not the name of the topic. If you want to argue it, then start another thread.

11. Default Re: The Cross

Some people say "The cross," some say "a cross." THAT is why it is symantics. Now, I do not feel like arguing the way people express something. That is not the name of the topic. If you want to argue it, then start another thread.
    Mr Anderson, surely you know me well enough by now that I don't "argue" just for the sake of arguement, I saw a point to be made, and it had/has obviously slipped past you faster than you can say, "My way is the only way." Can you not appreciate the difference in the following statements? The World vs a world, THE GALAXY vs a galaxy, The Man vs a man, The Religion vs a religion, The Right way vs a right way, THE PLAN vs a plan, THE RELIGION vs a religion, Christianity is THE PATH, vs Christianity is a path. Do you not see there is a world of difference in the terms, some are of totally different substance and meaning.

Any symbol is meaningless unless it is assigned a personal meaning by you/me/us, wouldn't you agree? In that spirit, then correctly, a cross would be more succint than THE CROSS. I must say though, that you are converting to a practice/religion that expouses that concept, THE rather than A. And no, Mr Anderson, that is not sematics, it is the foundation of your church. Your church espouses "THE CHURCH", the one and only APOSTOLIC CHURCH, not a church, not open for debate, it is THE CHURCH. Now do you get it?
    Too old NOT to care

12. Default Re: The Cross

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Patrick, let me ask you, since you were the one that started this thread. When you said "THE", what did you really mean to say? Did you just not finish by saying, "THE CHRISTIAN CROSS" or were you actually asking , "What does a cross mean to you?" Can you see the point that I am trying to share with Mr. Anderson when it comes to how A and The can make all the difference in the world in the meaning of a statement? Do you personally think that I am out of context and need to start another thread?
    Too old NOT to care

13. Default Re: The Cross

Mr Anderson, surely you know me well enough by now that I don't "argue" just for the sake of arguement, I saw a point to be made, and it had/has obviously slipped past you faster than you can say, "My way is the only way." Can you not appreciate the difference in the following statements? The World vs a world, THE GALAXY vs a galaxy, The Man vs a man, The Religion vs a religion, The Right way vs a right way, THE PLAN vs a plan, THE RELIGION vs a religion, Christianity is THE PATH, vs Christianity is a path. Do you not see there is a world of difference in the terms, some are of totally different substance and meaning.

Any symbol is meaningless unless it is assigned a personal meaning by you/me/us, wouldn't you agree? In that spirit, then correctly, a cross would be more succint than THE CROSS. I must say though, that you are converting to a practice/religion that expouses that concept, THE rather than A. And no, Mr Anderson, that is not sematics, it is the foundation of your church. Your church espouses "THE CHURCH", the one and only APOSTOLIC CHURCH, not a church, not open for debate, it is THE CHURCH. Now do you get it?

14. Default Re: The Cross

Quote Originally Posted by 111_Brad_Street View Post
    For me, the cross represents forgiveness, mercy, grace, hope and amazing love. I don't where a cross, but I also don't where any other jewelry except for my wedding ring. IMHO, the cross symbol has been trivialized and there are many people who where a cross who certainly don't reflect the message that the cross is meant to represent.
    WOW! I totally agree and second that.

15. Default Re: The Cross

I collect one from every place I visit, or just buy them when I see cool ones. I love what they represent, and I mean, FAITH. I have them along one side of my front door (inside) all the way to the floor, and also above and plan to go down the other side. I also have them in my bedroom around. It makes me at peace when I look at them. TO each person a cross means something different.

gmm,
    i think it's pretty obvious that patrick meant the christian cross... but yeah, anderson is confusing the issue by discussing the sign of the cross... you know, that hand-jive motion done by many catholics.

so... what does the (christian) cross mean to me? i'd say christ's sacrifice. while a culturally significant symbol, that's all i see it as... a symbol. i don't think that christians should worship a cross, they should worship the one who they believe died on it... -M

17. Default Re: The Cross

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    gmm,
    i think it's pretty obvious that patrick meant the christian cross... but yeah, anderson is confusing the issue by discussing the sign of the cross... you know, that hand-jive motion done by many catholics.

so... what does the (christian) cross mean to me? i'd say christ's sacrifice. while a culturally significant symbol, that's all i see it as... a symbol. i don't think that christians should worship a cross, they should worship the one who they believe died on it... -M
    It is not "hand-jive." It is a testimate of faith.

Now. From the St. Joseph Edition of the Holy Bible:

Cross-This instrument of Roman torture reserved for slaves was particularly infamous. It was known to Jesus who preached a type of detatchment to his disciples which would go as far as this humiliation of the cross. He himself followed this way of self denial out of love and obediance. The death on the cross of the Messiah, Son of God, is a scandal, the paradox which will become the most incontestable historical and spiritual center of the work of salvation acomplished by Jesus. By his abasement on the cross which paid men's debt to sin and crused the devil. Jesus is elevated and the wood of imfamy has become a tree of life. Crusified with Christ through baptism and the life of faith the Christian must glory only in the cross of Jesus.

This is a direct quote. Note is says THE cross. Not A cross.

18. Default Re: The Cross

It says "the cross" because it is from the bible, so obviously it's going to refer to "the christian cross."

It's been said before, there are lots of crosses. The Greek Orthodox cross is different from the "christian cross" but it is still "a" cross.

19. Default Re: The Cross

Quote Originally Posted by bandnerd View Post
    It says "the cross" because it is from the bible, so obviously it's going to refer to "the christian cross."

It's been said before, there are lots of crosses. The Greek Orthodox cross is different from the "christian cross" but it is still "a" cross.
    ...And I presume since you are married to Midtowner, you are Catholic? Humm.

20. Default Re: The Cross

It is not "hand-jive." It is a testimate of faith.

Now. From the St. Joseph Edition of the Holy Bible:

Cross-This instrument of Roman torture reserved for slaves was particularly infamous. It was known to Jesus who preached a type of detatchment to his disciples which would go as far as this humiliation of the cross. He himself followed this way of self denial out of love and obediance. The death on the cross of the Messiah, Son of God, is a scandal, the paradox which will become the most incontestable historical and spiritual center of the work of salvation acomplished by Jesus. By his abasement on the cross which paid men's debt to sin and crused the devil. Jesus is elevated and the wood of imfamy has become a tree of life. Crusified with Christ through baptism and the life of faith the Christian must glory only in the cross of Jesus.

This is a direct quote. Note is says THE cross. Not A cross.
    Mr Anderson, when you quote a source, and intend to make a point, then is it wise to quote a source that is universally reconized as such. You have chosen YOUR source, not THE source, call that sematics if you will, it makes my point, I do hope that it doesn't elude you
    Too old NOT to care

21. Default Re: The Cross

Mr Anderson, when you quote a source, and intend to make a point, then is it wise to quote a source that is universally reconized as such. You have chosen YOUR source, not THE source, call that sematics if you will, it makes my point, I do hope that it doesn't elude you
    Why do you constantly have to argue this point? Have you ever heard of the Bible? You act like you have not. I suggest you read it. No matter WHAT version it is, it all means the same thing.

22. Default Re: The Cross

Why do you constantly have to argue this point? Have you ever heard of the Bible? You act like you have not. I suggest you read it. No matter WHAT version it is, it all means the same thing.
    Stating a fact and argueing are not the same thing. I am familiar with many versions of the Bible, as I am of other religions and paths. No, it does not mean the same thing and if you were as well read as you would like to appear, you would not have opened your mouth and inserted your foot. Have you not heard of the DaVinci Code, Holy Blood, Holy Grail, The Talmud, The Koran, The Book of Shadows? Do you take at face value what they have between the covers, I think not. Then why would you simpley assume that others would take at face value what is between the covers of the holy book that you have chosen to follow and believe? It is quite your business to do so, but it is not correct to assume that you may use YOUR source for fact as THE source for fact. OOPS, there goes that sematics thing again, huh?
    Too old NOT to care

23. Default Re: The Cross

Then if you think you are a theological scholar, then answer this. (I know the answer) What is the difference between THE cross and a cruisifx?

cruisifix? like tom cruisifix? ...it's crucifix, anderson... you theological scholar, you.

many a crucifix features christ on the cross... but not all of them. what's your point?

Quote Originally Posted by anderson
    it is not "hand-jive." it is a testimate [sic] of faith.
    first, it's testament. and second, i didn't mean to be disrespectful... but i was. my bad. my point was that the sign of the cross is the hand motion, not the cross itself. they're two different things.

-M

25. Default Re: The Cross

...And I presume since you are married to Midtowner, you are Catholic? Humm.
    You presume wrong. Not all of us feel the need to follow the antiquated (I love that word) "rules" the church used to impose upon people. While we may have been married in his church, I am most certainly not a catholic.

And as for the difference between the crucifix and a cross:

crucifix ( ) n. An image or figure of Jesus on the cross.

A cross does not have the image of Jesus on it. THAT would be the difference.

Thread Information